Broadway shows for a 3 year old?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 02:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are there any broadway shows fit for a toddler that are currently on? How long do shows last and where is the best place to get tickets for them? Thanks
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 02:27 AM

Take a look at playbill.com for a list of what is currently running both on an off Broadway. (Specifically, http://www.playbill.com/events/listing/1.html)

It will obviously have to be a musical, as a 3-year old is not going to be able to sit through a drama or comedy which is non-musical. The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, and possibly Aida spring to mind. IMO the loud music, etc of any Broadway musical (esp Lion King) may frighten a 3-year old (has he/she been to movies in a theatre and is OK with dark places, loud music, etc?).

Broadway plays generally run 2.5 hours or longer with an intermission. I think the Lion King is 3 hours. You would have to go to a matinee, which are Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays. Unless you can get half-price tickets, you will be paying at least $35 for each seat, closer to $70 if you want good seats. You can buy from Ticketmaster or by calling the theatre directly.

IMO a child would need to be at least 5, and preferably close to 7 to enjoy the experience and justify the expense.
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 03:16 AM

In my experience, only a very, very unusual 3-year-old would enjoy or even tolerate a Broadway show.
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 04:03 AM

Most, if not all, Broadway shows will NOT permit a 3-year-old to attend! When you buy tickets, one of the comments is something like, "No one under 4 will be admitted."
A previous poster is wrong about the regular price of Broadway tickets. Orchestra seats for musicals are usually around the $100 mark. $70 is closer to the cheapest non-discounted price! $35 for a Broadway musical? Only if you want standing room or the student seats that are available for some shows, but hard to get.
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 04:04 AM

PS: Do yourself and the rest of a Broadway audience a favor and not take a 3-year-old to a show.
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 04:13 AM

Short answer: no
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 04:50 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I took my 3 yo to Cats. Granted she was an old 3, it was not in NY, and it was a matinee. There were other young kids there. If she had started to make noise I was ready to leave with her. She was transfixed during the show. Loves theater to this day.
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 05:02 AM

I also agree that the child should be at least 5, although it does depend on the child. And, the theaters do have the 'under 4' rule. There are off-bway theaters, in the times Sq area and other parts of the city that would be apporpriate for a 3 year and do have some nice productions. The New Victory for one, has shows specifically geared for kids and usually entertaining for adults as well. In the cue section of NY mag. they have weekly listings of event for children which list some of the smaller productions appropriate for young children.

I took my daughter to her first full-blown production when she was almost 5, although she had been to many children's theater and dance productions before that. She was one of those kids who could almost sit through almost anything. My son on the other hand, just recently began showing interest in theater and he's 12, even though we've tried to take him to at least a show a year since he was 8 or 9. In any case I think 3 and even 4 is too young for Broadway.
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 05:06 AM

She is too young and other theatregoers will be scrutinizing her behavior. Try New Victoria theatre - very professional, shorter shows, on 42nd and Bwy. Or some other kids show.
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 06:43 AM
scs

We never took our boys when they were younger to any Broadway shows, but we did take them to the Christmas Show at Radio City when they were as young as 3 and 5. We made sure that we had seats close enough to the front to keep their attention. They did great, but that is a show geared for families.
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 07:46 AM

Both the shows we attended last weekend had signs in the lobby "Children under 4 are not permitted in the theater".

Check out http://www.gocitykids.com/browse/sub...&category=5099