Broadway Prices Between Christmas and NY

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2004, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Need some help from anyone who has attended shows between Christmans and NY. I've heard that some of the shows raise their prices for all ticket categories during this week, depending on the show. Can anyone tell me by how much? For instance, how much do Orchestra, Front Mezzanine go for, Rear Mezzanine, Balcony, etc. I'm probably looking at buying the lower priced Balcony seats which for the shows I'm interested in normally run $30 - $50 each. How much will these be during that week. Thanks!
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 08:08 AM

Shows do not raise their prices between Christmas and New Years - but this is the busiest time of the year and getting the lowest price tickets can be very difficult. If you're coming then and must see a particular show buy your tickets as far in advance as possible.
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 08:17 AM

There are usually only a couple of rows of the really cheap seats, and usually just the far sides of those rows. The prices don't change during the holiday season, they just sell out more quickly. Most seats for most shows go for around $100. Discounts are available most of the time for all but the very popular shows, but not during that week. Go to playbill.com, you can pick a show, pick a date and see what the prices are.
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help! So even if I try to buy say front row balcony seats as soon as they go on sale are you saying they are going to be like $100 each rather than the usual $40 or $50?
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 08:24 AM

What are you talking about with "the usual"? No, the prices will be the same as always!!! The front row mezzanine seats to virtually all musicals at least are the same as the center orchestra seats -- usually around $100. If you know of Broadway shows where those seats are "usually" $40 or $50, please let me know!!
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 08:28 AM

And let me rephrase that another way. If you know of a show where certain seats are normally $50, then those same seats will still be $50 for the shows between Christmas and New Years.

By the way, the false idea you have, may have come about as a result of the return of Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick around Christmas this past year in The Producers. As part of the big return of them, there were special shows with incredibly high priced seats -- particularly for New Years, as well as a couple of special VIP rows at very high prices. But that is not the norm for other shows.
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 08:43 AM
GoTravel

Balcony seats are not really discounted. Obstructed view may be $85 as opposed to unobstructed for $100.

Broadway plays are expensive.

No Broadway production will have regular priced $50 seats.

Old Mar 4th, 2004, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

Unless I'm reading something wrong there ARE seats to shows like The Producers and 42nd Street for $30 - $50. Go to either Telecharge or Ticketmaster.com and search for these 2 shows. If you plug in a specific date for what's on sale right now (I used a Wed nite date in June) there are Balcony center seats in this price range. Phantom also has tickets in this range for Rear Mezzanine, $55.
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 09:35 AM

Yes, but these are poor seats - will be in the back rows of the balcony and far off to the sides. The front rows of the balcony are as much or almost as much as orchestra.
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Uuuh, then explain this:

Wed June 30th 8:00 PM 'The Producers':

Center Balcony Row A Seats 105-106 (five seats off the aisle)

Tickets are $46 each. Just priced this on telecharge.com
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 10:34 AM

Just so you are aware - the balcony does not hang over the orchestra seats. The mezzanine hangs over the orchestra seats. The balcony, which is another level higher and further back, then hangs over the mezzanine. If you are satisfied with these seats fine - but many people would consider them poor seats.
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 10:52 AM

Odds are these cheap seats are obstructed view (which they can tell you at telecharge or tickemaster). They definitely are going to be the worst seat in the house but that doesn't mean they're awful. You can still see and hear the show (none of these theaters are that enormous). I used to buy these kind of seats when I first started taking my daughter to shows (I didn't know if she'd last so I didn't want to spend a fortune). Well, she lasted and enjoyed it. If you want to see and show but not spend a fortune over the holidays, get these seats. Non-holiday times, you can get good seats for 25-50% off but not during that week.
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

MFNYC-
I don't see how Center Balcony seats could be obstructed view. If they were on the sides of the balcony then yes, I would see your point. And yes, I realize balcony is one level up from the mezzanine (I pulled up the seating chart). I'll have to check my finances later this year and see just what I can swing.
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 11:28 AM

To clear up some of the misinformation and confusing information posted here:
*There indeed are tickets to shows in the $ 30-$50 range. Sometimes, they are obstructed view, most times they are not. They're just far from the stage!
*There is big difference between the mezzanine and the balcony. In some theaters, they are two different levels. In others, the balcony refers to the rear part of the mezzanine (also sometimes called, naturally, the rear mezzanine).
*The only performance there shows raise their prices in on New Year's Eve. And, most shows do it.
*The $100 tab for musicals covers the entire orchestra and at least the front part of the mezzanine.
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 11:28 AM
GoTravel

If you can find discounted tickets on ANY site for the shows you want to see between CHRISTMAS and NEW YEARS, buy them because they will not last long.

Old Mar 4th, 2004, 05:58 PM

Those Center Balcony Center Row A seats will not likely be available by the time you've figured out your finances. Highly recommend you book them forthewith.
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 05:58 PM

Forthwith. Rather, IMMEDIATELY, if they are available for your dates at that price.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 05:20 AM

Last year we wanted to go to 3 shows in NYC in 3 days; 3 shows for 2 of us x $100 pp/each show = $600 plus fees is not practical for us, considering we still wanted a place to sleep, spending money, and something to eat! That weekend we booked the less expensive seats (although I do advise against last row, and always try to stay 'center') and were fine. No you are not going to be close enough to see the color of an actor's eyes, but the overall experience was enjoyable. We did see the producers (non Broderick/Lane days) in the Center Balcony Row A; the seats were fine, although I almost think row "B" center would have been better because of the balcony rail (it didn't obstruct the view but it was "there"). If you are going to see one or two shows and your budget allows it, splurge on the better seats; but if you are watching your money you can still enjoy the theater without breaking the bank. The advice already posted here to grab the cheaper seats as soon as you can is valuable as they will sell out those seats for the more popular shows on telecharge/ticketmaster. Have fun, there is nothing like theater in NYC - no matter where you sit.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 05:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Margie. I will keep checking the telecharge and ticketmaster website. Right now they are only booking thru early July. I did find an absolutely INCREDIBLE rate at a first class hotel in midtown for 4 nites between Christmas and NY. I was just surfing various hotel web sites and when I found this rate (a name brand hotel chain) I had to look twice, check my dates again, and even emailed the chain, to make sure I wasnt seeing things. And all I needed was a CC guarantee. Didnt have to prepay the entire stay ahead of time. If anyone wants the low down and are interested in NY this Holiday season let me know.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 05:38 AM

Buffedlonghornfan, Seats that are high up, center or side, can have part of the scenery cut off, particular the upper parts of the backdrop (the seats are higher than the top of the stage area). Since, in the case of the Producers, there's no action up there, just scenery, it's not too much of a problem. I already said, I see no problem in going with the cheap seats. I've seen several shows with obstructed views including Hairspray, Phantom, and Les Miz.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -