Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broadway Play which one??

Going to New York for the first time with my
husband and 16yr old daughter and would like
to take in a broadway play. Not sure which
one a 16yr would enjoy. Any suggestions
would be a great help. We are staying at
the Benjamin in March (hope its a good choice), should we buy tickets in advance or
ask at the hotel?? Thanks
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 05:57 PM

I highly recommend Hairspray. It's got great music, funny, entertaining characters and a good story too. I think you would all find it enjoyable. I loved it!
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 07:03 PM

First time experience, especially for the 16 year old? I can't think of a better choice than Lee4's -- HAIRSPRAY.
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 08:55 PM

I also cannot think of anything better than Hairspray at this time - 16 year olds (and other people too.)

If you really decide there is a show you HAVE to see, definitely get the tickets in advance. If you wait until you get to NYC you may want to try TKTS (located in Times Square - but there is also a booth at South Street Seaport.) Cash or travelers' checks only - no credit cards. Most plays can be bought for half price, but you won't find Hairspray there - just too popular at this time.

However last week they were offering Phantom of the Opera, 42nd Street, Gypsy, Moving Out - all of these would be good choices and there was a time when these shows would not have been available at TKTS. You may want to go to this URL:

http://www.tdf.org/programs/tkts/

There you can find out what on Broadway and off-Broadway were being offered at discount prices. Also, at playbill.com (you have to register but it's free) you can find discount codes to various plays - and you can call the box office and order tickets now.
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 04:14 AM

I agree with ziggy. If you have your heart set on a particular show, buy tickets now. If you have a few different shows in mind, go to TKTS when you get to NYC.

My 16 year old cousin was recently visiting me and she desperately wanted to see Chicago, since she loved the movie. She had a blast! I also recommend Hairspray (very fun show), Lion King (excellent) or Phantom of the Opera if you want a dramatic quintessential Broadway show.
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 06:22 AM

We were in New York in October and had a hard time getting tickets to Hairspray so we saw the Producers which was very good. However, I would recommend Mama Mia for a 16 year old girl. We are going to see Hairspray next week in Chicago - can't wait.
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 06:57 AM

While Hairspray is fun, I think that 42nd St. is the quintessential Broadway show
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 07:04 AM

Since we know absolutely nothing about your taste in shows or how experienced a theatergoer you are, it's difficult to recommend a show.
Knowing you'll have a 16-year-old daughter going with you is about the only clue we have to narrow down your choices.
I would recommend you select from this group: Chicago, Hairspray, Phantom of the Opera, Little Shop of Horrors, 42nd Street, Thorough Modern Miller or The Lion King.
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 07:10 AM

I can usually decide if a play will suit me after reading the info on the nytheatre site. There's info on the theaters themselves there, too.

http://www.nytheatre.com/nytheatre/index.htm
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 07:15 AM

I just saw the Lion King last night in Chicago. Fantastic!
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for everyones replies, I think
Hairspray is it. Since this will be our
first theatre experience I am very
excited about seeing a broadway play.
Can anyone suggest an Italian restaurant after the play, something a 16 yr old might enjoy, northern cusine..........
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 01:54 PM

I would recommend Becco on West 46th Street. They have a pasta special--you can have all you want of three separate pasta dishes--that she (and probably you) will enjoy. It's priced at $21.95. In addition, Becco has an excellent wine list, including many inexpensive choices.
PS: Order your tickets NOW for Hairspray.
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 02:13 PM

I agree re: Hairspray. It's just delightful. Most 16 year olds that I know also love Rent and I enjoyed it quite a bit too.
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 03:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks HowardR for the restaurant
suggestion. One more question, since I
have never ordered tickets before what
site should I use. I was looking at
broadway.com. Also have you ever stayed
at The Benjamin??
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 04:13 PM

If you can get discount tickets see "Thoroughly Modern Millie" in addition to HAIRSPRAY then go for it. Off Broadway, the Blue Man Group would also be a great choice.
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 04:16 PM

I second the Becco recommendation for dinner.

I have ordered from Broadway.com many times before with absolutely no problems. Enjoy the show!
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 06:08 PM

Or try Ticketmaster (www.ticketmaster.com) and see which tickets are better.
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 12:27 AM

I think Hairspray is a good choice, as would Thoroughly Modern Millie or Rent. You might want to have other options in mind in case Hairspray tickets are not available. As suggested above, you might call Ticketmaster and a few other places to see who has the best available seats. Good orchestra seats will cost about $100 each, a bit less for upper tier seats.

If you are going to an evening performance, plays start at 8pm and end between 10:30 and 11 pm; which might be a late dinner time for a hungry 16 year old. Many restaurants in the Broadway area offer pre-theatre dinners, and they know how to time things so you will be done in time to walk to the theatre. I would suggest reservations sometime between 6 and 6:30.

I have two Italian favourites in the "restaurant row " are of 46th Street, easily walkable to most theatres. You can view prices and menus on the website. Orso is a bit more casual than Barbetta:

Barbetta
21 West 46th Street
(Between 8th and 9th Ave)
Tel: 212-246-9171
www.barbettarestaurant.com
Italian. Prix fixe pre-theatre dinner at about $55. They have a courtyard garden which is lovely in summer, plus several other nice dining rooms.

Orso
22 West 46th Street.
(Between 8th and 9th Ave)
Tel: 212- 489-7212
Italian, including some nouvelle cuisine dishes. Great deserts.

Old Jan 14th, 2004, 02:46 PM

Reiterate others comments that if you've got your heart set on a specific show, especially a popular one like Hairspray, then buy your tix ahead. Definitely log into www.playbill.com and sign up for their emails --- you can get similiar discounted deals as what you'd get by standing in line at TKTS booth.
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 02:51 PM

Mama Mia or Thoroughly Modern Millie. Both would be great for a 16year old and you'll both leave with a smile on your face.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -