broadway help with two teens 13 &14

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1st, 2007, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone!! Once again I need some help. I am really struggling with which Broadway show to get tickets for Thanksgiving week. Everytime we go to NY we love to go see a show.

We loved hairspray, wicked, and off broadway the prince and the pauper, stomp and blue man group.We didn't like so much Spelling Bee and Legally Blonde.

I would have loved to see in the Heights but it hasn't begun yet. I think my kids are a little young for rent and spring awakening. I am not sure they will love the drowsy chaperone or curtains since it is set in the 1920's???? My kids are not very interested in Disney. Grease got mixed reviews. I am considering Cyrano de bergerac...has anyone out there seen it? I am having a hard time finding any reviews.

If anyone has a suggestion I would greatly appreciate it.

Old Nov 1st, 2007, 08:11 AM

Phantom, Les Miz
Old Nov 1st, 2007, 08:13 AM

I don't think they are to young for Rent. Most kids I know (including my own) see it the first time at around that age (and in the case of my daughter, saw it 2 more times after that).
Old Nov 1st, 2007, 09:57 AM

You said that they aren't intersted in Disney but Mary Poppins is supposed to be very good. Also what about Mama Mia.

I don't think 13 and 14 is too young for Rent but probably too young for Spring Awakening.
Old Nov 1st, 2007, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies. I thought of rent also, but when I took my kids to Chicago they didn't enjoy it, I think it was too heavy for them and i am also concerned about rent. Any other ideas???
Old Nov 1st, 2007, 12:10 PM

Yes Rent is heavy but very different than Chicago. Funny, Chicago didn't seem heavy to me and my daughters were younger than your kids when they saw Chicago. They loved it.

Have you looked on Broadway.com to see all the shows? Obviously you have already seen many of them. Mama Mia, Phantom, Les Miz were mentioned. Have you already seen all of those? If you have seen them, the Disney shows seem to be mostly what is left. There is Avenue Q but it is adult in nature. I still think teens would like Grease even if the reviews are mixed. I think of the two-Curtains or Drowsy Chaperone, they would like Curtains better.
Old Nov 1st, 2007, 06:14 PM

There are two things I'd recommend that might appeal to your kids. There's a new Cirque du Soleil show playing at Madison Square Garden. It's called "Wintuk". There's also a new De La Guarda show downtown near Union Square. It's called Fuerzabruta.

If you really want to do Broadway, then I'd recommend Xanadu. It's at least fun. Phantom and Les Miz are also very good recommendations. And your kids might enjoy Spamalot. I can't imagine that kids would enjoy Cyrano, even if it's a really good production, but it hasn't officially opened yet, which is why you haven't seen any reviews.

It's really getting late for tickets for Thanksgiving week. The good seats are long sold out, so good luck and buy soon.
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 07:23 AM

I think it's the music in Rent that really appeals to teens. Both my kids listened to it constantly before and after seeing the show.

Thanksgiving is probably a tough week to get last minutes tickets in any case. You may want to check and see what's available. Some of the more popular shows will probably be sold out.
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 09:05 AM

Doug-I forgot about Spamalot. Very funny and a good choice for teens. I was wondering about Xanadu but don't know that much about the show except it's better than the movie! Of course anything is better than the movie.
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 09:13 AM

I'm going to Spamalot the night before Thanksgiving. There are still orchestra seats available at a discount through broadwaybox.com
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 09:16 AM

Have you already seen Les Miserables? That was a great show. We read the book in high school, so it seems like it would be age appropriate.
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 09:25 AM
dmlove

My kids saw (and loved) Les Miz when they were 11 and 13 respectively. It's good to get familiar with the music before seeing the show (this applies to any musical of course).

Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 10:00 AM

Ok, so I know I am being a bit obnoxious, but as a NYC resident, and avid theater-goer, I wanted to point out, that while I understand the thoughts that 13 & 14 might be too young for "Spring Awakening" -- the show itself (and it's original 1891 play) focus on the very real danger for adolescents who are "protected" from the truths of the world and biology by their parents and adults.

I completely support each parent's right to decide what their child is exposed to at what age... And for that reason, I would encourage parents of all ages to see this show themselves.

I was really surprised by how good the performances were and how much the show affected me.

Also -- as a positive recommendation, Xanadu was a blast -- but very kitsch and sort of dated, so while I think appropriate for the 13 & 14 y.o, they may not get all the references to the original movie.

Curtains is fun and while it is a "classic" musical -- it's got some wonderful things that young folks might enjoy.