Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Bringing wine home from Napa on airplane?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have looked all over for some specific information about carrying on wine bottles, and I simply can't find any consistent information. Wondering if anyone has any post 9/11 experience bringing wine back? I know you can take 3 gallons of wine personally into Texas (how that translates in terms of bottles, I have no idea ) But I was wondering, if I take an extra roll-on with some padding, and put 4-6 bottles in it, if they will allow me to carry it on? I don't really want to ship since there's still some issues with whether you can yet to TX or not. Thoughts?
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 11:35 AM

Most wineries carry those cardboard wine carriers that hold 4 bottles of wine. My sister carried those back on the plane to Portland with no problem.
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 11:40 AM

WE just returned from the Central Coast area and I purchased 6 bottle to take home. While there I bought a wine tote
that would hold 6 bottles. Used it as
a carry-on. It was searched going thru the airport security {Santa Barbara}. I
had no problems. My only regret is that
I wish I could have brought more home.
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 11:45 AM

Last week flying out of LAX, I was behind a young couple in line checking in. He had a wooden case of Merryvale. She had a wooden case of Duckhorn. I offered to carry the Duckhorn for her, since they were going a different direction. She didn't go for it, but they mentioned they were doing the two cases as carry on luggage.
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 11:48 AM

At your first wine purchase, ask for a 'carry on' box and they should oblige even if you don't plan on filling it at that specific winery so you can create your own 'variety pack'. I've seen boxes that hold 2, 3, 4 and 6 bottles. They are pretty sturdy but use caution at their weak spot...the cut out 'handle' at the top. The TSA folks at SFO, OAK, and San Jose are used to seeing these boxes all the time.
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 03:28 PM

The law was just changed to allow Texans to ship wine into the state. Also, you have always been allowed to ship wine home to Texas if you actually visit the winery.

I'll agree with gordo that the TSA folks in wine country are very used to seeing the wine cases!