Search

Briefly, in WNY

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2016, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Briefly, in WNY

I know there are a few here who know that's Western New York!

In mid-July, we'lll be staying near tfhe airport and will have a few days to become reacquainted with the Buffalo area. Already set in stone: Shawfest at Niagara-on-the-Lake on Sinday afternoon and the Bisons game on Monday evening. That leaves all day Saturday for my husband and me then Sunday evening and Monday for us and our visiting friends.

Saturday morning, I thought we'd start at the farmers' market in Williamsville at Island Park and meander from there , walking in the Village and then driving past old haunts--former homes, old schools. Then, maybe head to the waterfront. Should we go to Canalside? Is that a daytime destination or is it best only when something special is scheduled?

Monday, with our friends, I see that the Darwin Martin house, designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, if offering modified tours because of ongoing restauration. A visit to his sister's home is now included. Has anyone done this version of the docent-led tour?

From there, I want to head to the Theodore Roosevelt Inaugural site on Delaware Avenue...but we'll need lunch. I suppose we could always go to the Anchor Bar but do you have any other suggestion for lunch between the house and the inaugural site on Delaware Avenue? Easy parking would be a plus!

Thanks for your comments and suggestions!
Old Jun 4th, 2016, 01:41 PM

I live in the Village of Williamsville and also visit downtown often. Can I ask why you are staying near the airport? If you haven't been to Buffalo in awhile you'll be surprised that there are several new hotels downtown and I would recommend staying downtown. There are two Marriot properties at Canalside plus an Embassy Suites, a Hampton and Hilton downtown. Definitely visit Canalside. There are so many new bars and restaurants in downtown Buffalo. What are your tastes, budget, etc.? I think you will also want to visit the Elmwood Village, but not on Sunday when many of the stores will be closed. For lunch I would try Cecilias on Elmwood or Betty's on Virginia. Neither is far from Delaware Ave. There is an open air bus tour in the city that is worthwhile. Just google open air bus Buffalo. The Darwin Martin house is definitely worth a visit. If you're looking for chicken wings a good alternative to Anchor Bar is Gabriel's Gate on Allen Street. I'll check back to see if you have any other questions.
Old Jun 4th, 2016, 01:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you haven't been already, I would very strongly suggest your spending all day in Niagara-on-the-Lake and not just for the performance.
Old Jun 4th, 2016, 07:08 PM

Agree with Dukey
Old Jun 5th, 2016, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Dukey and KathyK.

We have visited Niagara-on-the-Lake a number of times over the years, enjoying performances, restaurants, and wineries. This time, we'll cross into Canada and take the river road slowly along the Niagara, pass the Falls, and continue to NOTL, stopping to picnic roadside (if I get things together). Maybe we'll stop at Greave's. We'll return to WNY after the matinee as our friends prefer to meet us elsewhere and avoid the weekend crowds in NOTL. They live close enough so are able to go anytime they like.

KathyK, it never occurred to me to look at downtown hotels in Buffalo! I lived in the Village of Williamsville from the age of 11 but haven't lived in the area since 1972. We visited often when my parents were still alive but haven't done much more more than pass through in recent years. I realize my tendency is to focus on the Amherst area and go from there. I haven't looked into all the hotels you mention but I'm seeing the the Hampton Inn downtown has a very spacious one-bedroom suite and free parking. (Who would have thought that a city hotel would have free parking??). I'll definitely look at the others you mention too. Thanks so much!

Both Cecelia's and Betty's look just right but, unfortunately, neither is open on Monday. The Darwin Martin house is close enough to Hertel Avenue--any lunch suggestions there?

Our day in Williamsville, it turns out, is Garden Walk day. We'll probably aim to see Island Park, Glen Park, and the mill and take in some of the gardens, then head to the waterfront. I ought to find out about some outdoor performances--Shakespeare in the Park, maybe?
Old Jun 5th, 2016, 02:41 PM

Can I ask what street you grew up on? We've enjoyed living in the Village for the past 27 years and raised our kids here. Our house in normally on the Garden Walk but not this year. On Hertel try Craving or Lloyds Taco Factory. Both are open Monday's. The Winter's Tale is at Shakesphere in the Park through July 17 at 7:30. The Hampton is a nice property and I've seen the suites, they are nice. I will warn you that the hotel is on a busy street of bars and restaurants so it might be noisy outside. Another place you will want to see is 716 Food and Sport across from First Niagara Center. If you've only driven through in recent years you're going to be pleasantly surprised at all of the changes!
Old Jun 12th, 2016, 06:00 AM

KathyK....how are you my Fodor's friend? It's been a while.

k_marie, I agree that staying near the airport is not necessary. As Kathy said, there are a lot of new hotels downtown. Also check out The Mansion on Delaware Avenue. It's awesome and within walking distance of the Roosevelt inaugural site.

There's a great outdoor market on Bidwell and Elmwood in the city. Saturday afternoon at Canalside will be very busy whether there is an event or not. If you don't mind walking, park all the way down at Erie Basin Marina and walk along the water until you get to Canalside.

The Darwin Martin house is fabulous! It's been several years since I've toured the inside but it is worth seeing. I believe the tour includes the gardener's cottage around the corner and the sister's house on the other side. I just drove past it yesterday!

Another recommendation for lunch is a Mexican place on Allen Street. Don Tequila's. Between Franklin and Delaware and right around the corner from Roosevelt site.

Have a great time...you are going to be pleasantly surprised by the renaissance taking place here.
Old Jun 13th, 2016, 03:59 PM

Hi BuffaloGirl! I don't see you much around here. Hope all is well with you. I also hope k Marie comes back after her trip with a report for us.
Old Jun 13th, 2016, 05:06 PM

Hi, KathyK. Yeah, I don't come around too much. Life has been busy. I will try to stop by more often. Hope all is well with you too. And yes, hopefully k_Marie will update us!
Old Jun 14th, 2016, 12:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Not sure exactly when you are coming but you might want to check the festival schedule. July 9 is the Buffalo Niagara Blues Festival and that same weekend is Taste of Buffalo.
Old Jun 14th, 2016, 04:06 PM

They are coming the weekend of July 16 based on that is when the Village of Williamsville Garden Walk is.
Old Jun 15th, 2016, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

KathyK is correct: we'll be visiting the weekend of July 16.

I am still seriously considering the suggestion of staying downtown. I'd like to get a suite that will accommodate the four of us so that eliminates some properties. The Hampton Inn on Delaware would work with a one-bedroom suite with sofa bed in the living area but the Lofts on Pearl and the Hotel at the Lafayette both offer two-bedroom suites. Has anyone seen or stayed at either? They are members of the Stash hotel group and our one experience with that group was very good.

Both the Lofts on Pearl and the Hotel at the Lafayette seem to be within easy walking distance of the ball field so the baseball fans would be happy. Any dinner places nearby or should my friend and I plan to cab it to dinner?

(KathyK, we lived on Brookside Drive, which is off Wehrle, opposite Lehn Springs.)
Old Jun 15th, 2016, 12:18 PM

I know Brookside. I'm right on Oakgrove. Are you talking about the Hampton on Chippewa? That or the other two hotels would all be excellent choices. I've seen the suites at the Hampton and the Lafayette. The Lafayette is a beautifully restored building. Tha Hampton is in a busier area with more bars and restaurants but the Lafayette isn't a bad location. You can pretty much walk anywhere, downtown isn't that big. The Lofts on Pearl is close to Canalside and a newer property so it should be nice. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the three. There are dinner places near all three and unless you have mobility issues you can walk to restaurants. Let us know what you're looking for in restaurants and we can offer suggestions. P.s. You should probably book your hotel soon. Are you sure the Lafayette has availability? In the summers it normally is sold out due to weddings in the four banquet rooms on the property.
Old Jun 15th, 2016, 02:14 PM

One other thing, if you don't choose downtown consider the Hampton Inn on Main St. In the Village of Williamsville. That a would a much more desirable location than the airport.
Old Jun 16th, 2016, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your help, everyone. Especially KathyK.

I have just completed the cancellation for the airport hotel and reserved the Hotel at the Lafayette for Sunday and Monday nights. The suites there look spacious and beautifully designed. Rate includes breakfast and wifi. We should be very happy there.

I'll start to look into nearby restaurants. Before changing the reservations, we were planning to go to the Creekview on Main Street in the village for fish fry and beef on weck.

I'll look at Williamsville area places for our first two nights. Unfortunately, the Hampton Inn on Main Street has no availability but I could keep checking. And there are plenty of other options.

KathyK: Oakgrove, of course! I walked on Oakgrove sometimes on the way home from Main Street. And there was a path/dirt road near the bend off Oakgrove that followed the creek to the mysterious castle.
Old Jun 17th, 2016, 04:39 AM

My kids used to trick or treat at the castle! Try the Wyndam Hotel on Main at North Forest or there is a new Hyatt just past the 290 in Snyder. There is a new restaurant named "Share" on Main St. In the village that is very good. Also take a look at Tappo downtown. Lots of new restaurants downtown.
Old Jun 20th, 2016, 09:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
>

A friend of mine just stayed there last week with her husband for his birthday. She reserved a regular room but was upgraded to a suite and they loved it. There is a nice fairly casual restaurant in the hotel (they ate there because their package included a $50 certificate to the restaurant). They enjoyed the restaurant. There is also a really good Italian restaurant within easy walking distance from the hotel. Osteria 166 - http://osteriabuffalo.com/
Old Jun 20th, 2016, 02:10 PM

FYI I've eaten at the Hotel restaurant which is the Pan American Grille. Food is average at best. Agree that Osteria 166 is a good choice.
Old Jun 20th, 2016, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

Tom42, good to hear your friends liked the hotel. Thanks. We'll breakfast 'in house' but probably look elsewhere for other meals.

Even before you and KathyK mentioned them, I had already identified Tappo and Osteria as strong possibilities for dinner. I see Charlie the Butcher has a location at the ball field so 'the boys' will probably enjoy their beef on weck during the game.

For our first two nights, I have reservations at the Courtyard on Sheridan Drive, allowing us to economize a bit over the Wyndham and the Hyatt. By the way, is the Hyatt at the Lord Amherst site?
Old Jun 21st, 2016, 03:44 PM

Not familiar with the Courtyard. I didn't mention it but we did stay at the Lafayette last year the night of our sons wedding. We didn't have a 2 bedroom suite but others in our group who did were pleased. The Hyatt is not on the Lord Amherst site but directly behind it. The Snyder residents put up a big fight to prevent its construction but were unsuccessful. If you need any recommendations on downtown restaurants just ask. Keep in mind that some restaurants are closed Sunday and Monday but you should still have a good selection.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -