Boy from Oz or Gypsy?

Search

Boy from Oz or Gypsy?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2004, 07:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boy from Oz or Gypsy?

Our family of four--two adults, two teens--is going to NYC in two weeks. We have one night for a play and are trying to choose between these two. (We're also interested in Wicked, but tickets for anything less than $100 seem to be unavailable . . . ?)

Does anyone have any recommendation? (We've already seen the Producers and Rent and Chicago.)

Thanks!
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 07:25 PM

I would definitely recommend The Boy From Oz. Hugh Jackman is fantastic as is the rest of the cast. It is a very energetic show with lots of dancing and singing. It is funny, sad and Peter Allen's music is marvelous. I've seen it 3 times! I've also seen Gypsy and didn't particularly enjoy this version of the show. I think that teens would much prefer Oz. If you look at Playbill.com, I think there are discount tickets available for about $75 each.
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 05:25 AM

Just to make things interesting, I recommend Gypsy! It's a classic show with a outstanding performance by Bernadette Peters. The Boy from Oz, in my opinion, is a mediocre show with an outstanding performance by Hugh Jackman.
I'll take the better show!
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 06:23 AM

I agree with Howard (although admittedly I haven't seen either current production). I have tickets to finally see the current production of Gypsy mainly for the performance that Bernadette Peters gives that has earned so many raves. But I never enjoyed the music of Peter Allen, so find it hard to get excited about a show in which someone impersonates him. I know Hugh Jackman has gotten raves for his performance, but not much else good has ever been said about the show itself. If the teens REALLY want to see Hugh Jackman, then maybe go there, but I can guarantee you The Boy From OZ will never be considered the great Broadway classic musical that Gypsy is.
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 06:30 AM

By the way, I just called Telecharge at 1-800-545-2559 last week, using the code GYNYTWS and got two tickets for Gypsy on May 4, ninth row Orchestra (side section but right on the aisle) for $ 59.75 each. I gave the operator my open dates and he found the best seats which were those. So if you call, use that code if you don't have another.
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 11:53 AM

Depending on how liberal you are about what you let your kids see, I recommend Avenue Q. It's a musical that has been described as "Sesame Street for grownups": using both live actors and puppets, it tells the story of a group of young people who all live on the same outer-borough block, and who have come to New York in search of jobs and love. The cast are all young, energetic, and extremely talented, and the show is very funny. Some of the language is pretty raunchy, and there's a simulated sex scene involving puppets, but there's probably nothing in it that would shock teens who have already seen Rent and Chicago.

I've seen The Boy from Oz, and I'm on the side of this debate that says it's skippable. As previous posters have said, Hugh Jackman's performance deserves every rave it's received, but the Peter Allen music just isn't in the same league with a classic Broadway score like Gypsy -- which isn't surprising, since the songs were written as pop songs, not as songs for a book musical, and stringing them together in a Broadway show and calling the result a Broadway score doesn't make it one. (OK, I'm off my soapbox.)

Discounted tickets for Avenue Q, Gypsy, and The Boy from Oz are all currently available on www.theatermania.com. Some of the discount offers may expire before your trip to New York, but they're often extended, so check the site periodically. You have to be a member of Theatermania to qualify for the discounts, but membership is free.
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 01:18 PM

Bree, is there room on that soap box for me? I'm with you all the way. And just to stir up some fire, I feel the same way about Moving Out (although at least that music is better than the music from Boy from Oz).
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 01:25 PM

Patrick, I'll have to disagree with you about Movin' Out. We loved it...and we are not fans of Billy Joel. If you like dance (which we do), how can you not enjoy that show?