Reload this Page >

boutique hotel in midtown?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2001, 08:31 AM
Kristen

I am visiting midtown for a week in mid-June and I am looking for a boutique hotel with prices in the $200 range if possible. If not possible in midtown, what area would be near enough (my seminar is at 7th ave and 53rd st)? I am young and prefer funky places to stuffy places. For instance, I am very fond of the personality hotels in san fran if that means anything to anyone... Please help asap. Many thanks.

Old May 16th, 2001, 10:34 AM
rqf

New York magazine in the Feb. 5 edition did a review of the Hudson Hotel.. The article rates the "Hipness Factor" (whatever that means) as a 10 on a scale of one to ten. Hotel is located on W.58th and 9th Avenue, a 10 minute walk to 7th and 53rd. If you call ask if the $95 rate is available. They offer a limited number of small rooms at that price. - www.hudsonhotel.com

Old May 16th, 2001, 10:38 AM
xxx

Other boutiques are The Library at 41st and Madison, Dylan on 41st and Giraffe at 26th and Park Avenue South. All of them have opened within the last year and are considered good places to stay. Check quickbook where they can be found for $200 or so, depending upon the day.

Old May 16th, 2001, 07:20 PM
steve

The Hudson is the current "it" boutique hotel(although it's quite large). The Mansfield on 44th has been around awhile and has nice but small rooms, complementary continental breakfast and a pleasant staff. The Time right in the theatre district has small but very cleverly furnished rooms and a pretty nice bar for evening cocktails.

Old May 17th, 2001, 09:31 AM
Mike

Paramount Hotel near Times Square is pretty cool and should be in your range. I remember getting a room around $175 once (I think). Rooms are small but the hotel is sleek and has a good bar (The Whiskey), though not too original on the name!

Old May 18th, 2001, 04:58 AM
mimi

We stayed at the Hudson on its opening rate of $95. We called to stay again and the rate is now $325. What a joke? The room was as small as the smallest cabin on a ship. Forget this hotel,hip or not.

Old May 18th, 2001, 12:17 PM
carrie773

I agree with Mimi! First of all, the Hudson has 1,000 rooms - hardly a 'boutique' hotel. I've stayed at other Ian Schrager hotels (Royalton, Mondrian, Delano) and really enjoyed them, but the Hudson was a definite mis-step. We stayed there a few weeks ago - for $219 a night, not $95. The rooms were indescribably small and uncomfortable- 'smaller than the smallest room on a cruise ship' is very accurate! If you want to drink in the "hip" factor, just stop by for a cocktail and a look around...