Boulevard - Is it 'All That?'

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2003, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for a great restaurant in San Francisco for a 20th anniversary surprise in August. I have read good things about the restaurant, Boulevard. Went to their website; the menu, atmosphere, etc. all look great. I have the list of San Francisco's Top 100 Restaurants. Not looking for stuffy, but delicious and fun. Would you consider Boulevard the best?
Thanks,
Paul

Old May 20th, 2003, 01:17 PM
tpl

I don't know if Boulevard is the best, but it is delicious and fun. I would describe Kokkari similarly -- you can check them out online as well.
Old May 20th, 2003, 01:18 PM
itleyen

Certainly Boulevard is among the ten or so top places in SF, but its menu is a very basic one, and not especially daring or new. While being well done, it is not a new place. IF I were you, I'd do more research. I can tell you places like Hawthorne Lane ought to be skipped over as essentialy tourist places. I'd think Danko's place might be worth considering, and perhaps a french place or two. What about Aqua? Masa has passed its prime, and the prices are stratospheric. I like Plouf, but it is small and noisy, and more suited to 2-3 at a table or the bar. Possibly Frascati for something good but casual. Have fun deciding.

Old May 20th, 2003, 01:33 PM
SAB

You can't go wrong with Boulevard, it is highly rated with good reason. But "the best" is so subjective. Some of the most talked about are probably Gary Danko and Fifth Floor, but I don't know if I would describe them as fun. My personal favorite high end restaurant is Jardinere. I wouldn't worry about finding "the best", if Boulevard looks good to you, then it is good for you.
Old May 20th, 2003, 01:39 PM

Boulevard's strong points are atmosphere--which is rather upbeat and bustling in a pleasant not overly noisy way-- with great traditional interior design including a beautiful stained glass ceiling piece and bowed brick ceiling; excellent service which is not stuffy; dependable menu; great views of the Bay Bridge out the windows in the back.
It is not an avante garde culinary powerhouse. It's not for the hardcore foodie looking for something he or she has never tasted before. It provides a warm, friendly, classy but never stuffy dining experience. I never tire of Boulevard. But it's not a hip, trendy, flashy type of place.
Old May 20th, 2003, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies and great suggestions.

I've got one foot in the water...
Old May 20th, 2003, 02:01 PM

I like Boulevard as well, good food, lively atmosphere - I think you made a good choice for what you want. Aqua has good food, but it's loud, and the tables are placed very close together. Gary Danko's got great food, but it's too refined to be fun, bordering on stuffy. Another poster mentioned Jardiniere, which I love. The food is good, the atmosphere inviting.
Old May 20th, 2003, 02:27 PM
SAB

Good, accurate summation of Boulevard rwilliams!!!
Old May 20th, 2003, 03:00 PM

Boulevard was the standout dining destination on our most recent trip to San Francisco. (And, we'd previously visited Masa, an outrageously priced, stuffy, snooze, and Gary Danko, which was wonderful.

The decor at Boulevard is spectacular, the aroma from the wood-burning ovens/grills intoxicating, and the food (I wouldn't describe the menu as "basic") magnificent, perfectly prepared/complimented and beautifully presented. Service is wonderful. Reservations absolutely essential (they were booked solid and turning folks away at 5PM the Monday night we visited). It's definitely lively, too.