Botanical gardens on Kauai -- have you been?

Sep 25th, 2000, 08:24 AM
lisa

Botanical gardens on Kauai -- have you been?

Posted this question on the Hawaii forum and got no responses, so I'm reposting on the general U.S. forum in hopes that somebody out there can answer:

Heading to Kauai in October with mom. We love pretty gardens. Our
guidebook mentions two botanical gardens on Kauai -- one on the north shore
and one on the south. Both are recommended. Has anyone out there been to
both and which one would you recommend if we only have time to tour one?

Sep 25th, 2000, 12:22 PM
Kauai

Hi Lisa- my husband and I did visit a botanical garden in Kauai a few years ago. Unfortunately, I can't remember which one it was - if you find one where you go to their little shop and then a van takes you to the garden - thats the one. It was really nice - lots of tropical flowers and orchids. I would recommend it. Sorry I couldn't be more specific.

Sep 25th, 2000, 12:50 PM
KT

As with most things, it depends on what you want. There are actually three gardens now: Limahuli in the north, and Allerton and the adjacent McBryde in the south. I think McBryde only offers one tour a week (I believe it used to be part of the Allerton tour until the garden expanded), so for most people it's Limahuli or Allerton.

Allerton is more of a landscaped garden, with some formal areas and statuary, lots of flowering plants, etc. It also has the famous giant fig trees from "Jurassic Park." That's the one that "Kauai," above visited. Limahuli concentrates more on native and traditional plants, including taro terraces, and it has absolutely killer scenery. Personally, I prefer Limahuli, because I'm more interested in nature and the traditional tales told there than in gardening per se, and I am completely in love with the North Shore. But gardener types I know have preferred Allerton, and I enjoyed it, too. BTW, Limahuli is smaller and done entirely on foot (including some hills), whereas Allerton is vast and is partly by motorized vehicle, if that makes a difference. It wouldn't be redundant to do both, if you have time. Hope this helps a little.

Sep 25th, 2000, 01:30 PM
lisa

Thank you both so much!

Sep 25th, 2000, 04:12 PM
kalena

Hey Lisa, I saw your question and have'nt had time to jump on. KT gave you the full scoop...We enjoy the National Botanical Garden at Limahuli, and haven't seen Allerton and McBryde. You and your mom would probably also enjoy a visit to Kokee State Park. There are a number of easy trails that put you right in the middle of different types of forest environments.
Aloha,
k

Sep 27th, 2000, 07:04 AM
karen

Lisa -

I did post on the other site, however, I will repeat that the Gardens at Allerton are spectacular so much so that there are two distinct tours. The engineering of them is a spectacular feat and the guides are so well informed and interesting. The Garden is so large that we have done both tours and have enjoyed immensely. We will do the tour on the North Shore this Feb. when we return, however, do book as soon as you get to the island because the tours are not held daily (unless that has changed) and they take only so many and book early and quickly so you are not disappointed.

Sep 27th, 2000, 07:53 AM
lisa

Thanks Karen. I did see your reply on the Hawaii forum this morning & appreciate the feedback. We may try to do both since they both sound worthwhile, if we have time.