Boston's First Night Hotel area

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14th, 2003, 07:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are trying to decide between the Quincy Market area or Copley Square for a visit with our teenagers over New Year's. My husband wants historic and authentic so he favors Quincy Market but it seems we may get a better deal near Back Bay. My teens want to be near shopping and First Night festivities. Help!
Old Nov 15th, 2003, 02:28 AM

If you want to spend the money, I would vote for Quincy Market. You are close to fireworks they usually have over harbor and it is the place I would want to be before or after 12/31 celebrations.

However, reasons for staying in Back Bay area include parade that starts in that area in early evening plus there are somewhat more activities during the evening closer by. Boston Common lights are closer. Prudential Center and Copley Place have large indoor shopping areas that my teenager loves. Shopping at Quincy Market used to be quaint and unique shops but now has a larger percentage of chains.

Both areas are pretty historic - and gentrification of both neighborhoods limits their authenticit - of course still plenty of history.

Although it will undoubtedly be quite cold, it is really walking distance between 2 areas - and you will likely be wandering around during the evening anyway.

Could you make a deal with the teenagers that they get to spend the hotel savings on shopping if you stay in the Back Bay.

In any event - decide soon - reservations book up. It is amazing to me how many people want to visit Boston in the winter when I am craving a tropical escape.
Old Nov 15th, 2003, 04:31 AM

"My husband wants historic and authentic so he favors Quincy Market but it seems we may get a better deal near Back Bay. My teens want to be near shopping and First Night festivities."

This statement makes no sense at all to me. The two areas have roughly equal amounts of history, shopping, and First Night activities.

The older buildings in the Copley/Back Bay area are at least as "historic and authentic" as the Quincy Market area, where old warehouses have been gutted, reconstructed, and supplemented to hold stores that now (as gail pointed out) are pretty much the same as the ones at your local mall.
Old Nov 15th, 2003, 04:38 AM

Definetely Copley Square..that is where most of the action is.. the ice sculptures, parade, probably 90% of the venues for entertainment. You can always walk to Quincy Market and I think there will be fireworks over Boston Harbor.. There are shops everywhere..the problem with Quincy Market is all the shops now look like shops everywhere else..There is a Hard Rock Cafe in the Copley Square area (Clarendon St.) Cheers which is a must for all tourists is on Beacon Hill. Don't know if they will be ice skating on the Frog Pond. First Night is a great family event..have fun.
Old Nov 15th, 2003, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your guidance. I've chosen the Westin Copley place because they are offering rooms for $179/night and concierge said fireworks can be seen from the room. I appreciate the feedback on the various degrees of historic authenticity. I'm sure we will all have a wonderful time in your beautiful city as we are from Pasadena and can't wait to get away from the Rose parade crowds for once. Thanks!
Old Nov 15th, 2003, 01:54 PM

Um, I'm wondering if your concierge has his holidays confused -- the fireworks on the Fourth of July are over the Charles River Esplanade, not far from the hotel, but IIRC the First Night fireworks are on the waterfront, 2 miles away. If they are indeed visible, it would be like watching them on TV.
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 01:18 AM

Copley Place should be a nice location - it is attached to an indoor mall with restaurants and up-scale stores. Good for times when it is just too cold to go outside.

I also think fireworks are over harbor, but maybe there is something I don't know. For New Years, rate seems good.

Hope you don't hink there will not be crowds here on 12/31. Have a good trip. Bring warm clothes.
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 03:15 AM

Good point about crowds, gail -- the OP will be getting away from Rose Bowl crowds but just trading them in for bundled-up First Night revelers. Lilac, did you know that First Night in Boston offers over 200 events, exhibits, workshops, and performances, and usually draws 500,000 - 800,000 people, depending a lot on the weather?

I just remembered something -- last year, they had fireworks at Boston Common earlier in the evening, maybe 6 or 7 PM, for the younger kids so they don't have to stay up til midnight. Those would be visible from Back Bay hotels (if your room faced in the right direction!) but they were the climax of the parade, which is a major early event so you wouldn' be in your hotel room then, anyway.
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 08:02 PM
Original Poster

We are fully aware of crowds and our teens will probably relish them as they will be "new and different". Do you have suggestions for which First Night events are not to be missed? I understand we buy buttons but do they allow entry to all events? I don't want to choose any that would be too adult for teens.
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 04:17 AM

Well, the parade and ice sculptures (in Copley Square) are not to be missed, but the events change from year to year; watch the web site for details.

Many events (most of the indoor arts events) require the buttons, but others are completely free. I can't recall any events that would be "too adult for teens," especially if you have cable TV at your house; this is generally considered a family event.

Local newspapers and the web site provide plenty of advance coverage for planning (keyed maps etc.).
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 04:23 AM

Lilac....events are usually published within the week in the Boston Globe and there will probably be publicity on line.. try www.boston.com if you write I'llsend you other Boston sites.. [email protected]
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 08:54 AM

firstnight.org is official website of Boston New Years Eve celebrations - I just checked now and they havae some info posted and say they will have more later, including complete list and locations of event.

It is a good idea to carry a copy with you - either from newspaper or on-line site, have some ideas ahead of time about what you want to see, but with a lot of flexibility in case you run into something interesting or the event you had planned to attend is full/has a long line.