Your most unique travel destination was?

Nov 12th, 2003, 02:40 PM
jetset1

Your most unique travel destination was?

Hello fellow travelers, and highly intelligent and attractive respondents(thought I'd try this method to maybe involve more participants, since I'm not above flattery and I'd appreciate sincere replies)- Whew!
Where have you gone that took long term planning(or saving for that matter)? Was it worth it? Would you return?
My motive for asking is a 25th anniversary. Yes, I did post previously in planning for my 20th, that's a done deal now. However, it's never too soon to plan the next fantasy/journey, right? This keeps me motivated and returning to the gym on days when I'd rather be sitting by the fireplace and reading(we have snow in Alaska now, it's been falling steadily since yesterday.) So thanks for anyone who feels like this strikes a chord or memory. I'm getting tired of travel magazines and books, though they give a good overview for beginners. J.

Nov 12th, 2003, 02:48 PM

My favorite place so far is Aruba went twice and loved it both times.. Hoping to go back next winter.. Been saving for our trip to Hawaii (leaving December 27th) Can't wait I will let you know how that goes.. going for 2 weeks so should get to know a little bit abuot it .. As soon as we get back will start saving for Aruba (or maybe a cruise) would like to try that but husband does'nt want to do that.. Have you ever been?? Oh we are going to Hawaii for ouor 36th anniversary.. It never hurts to start planning early.. Planned for this trip for 3 years...
Nov 12th, 2003, 02:53 PM
jetset1

jaybee,
One place I've been intrigued by is Antigua. No, I haven't been to Aruba yet, that sounds perfectly acceptable though, lol. Good luck and enjo your traveling. Btw, which Hawaiian island are you visiting? First trip? Being in Alaska, we have a great charter connection and we have gone several times. I had to laugh- one of my neighbors was complaining yesterday that they HAD to go to Hawaii this spring in order to use a time share. After our long winters, most people would love that problem!

Nov 12th, 2003, 02:56 PM

This is tough...I would have to say I enjoyed small towns in Mexico and St. Lucia the best. From the history, sceney, natives, art, food...these were my favorites. Have a good time ! I know you will get a ton of good ideas here !
Nov 12th, 2003, 03:06 PM

I would say my Greek sailing adventure. Chartered a sailboat and skipper. It cost less than you might think.
Nov 12th, 2003, 03:13 PM
cd

Hi Grasshopper!
Tell me all about this. As you know we are sailors. Where did you rent, where did you go and is it possible to sail from the Greek Islands to istanbul?
Nov 12th, 2003, 03:25 PM

This is easy: try a couple of the less visited islands of French Polynesia. The planning is easy, but the saving might not be!
Nov 12th, 2003, 03:28 PM
jetset1

Wednesday,
Did you visit San Miguel de Allende while in Mexico? My mother lived there for a few years with many other expats.

Nov 12th, 2003, 03:29 PM
GoTravel

Wow, this is tough.

There hasn't been one vacation that I've saved and saved for although I do save and plan. I don't ever want to build something up too much for fear of it not living up to my expectations.

Here are a couple.

Spending 2 1/2 weeks sailing the Out Islands of the Bahamas.

A small motel in Acapulco named Los Flamingos. It is where all the Hollywood movie stars of the 30s, 40s, and early 50s used to hang. It is on a 500 foot cliff on the Pacific. Again, it is a motel not hotel and it was cheap. We stayed at The Fairmont Princess and Las Brisas but the cheapie was our favorite.

Fishing in Islmorada. There is nothing like being out on the water all day in the keys.

Italy. Which part would you like me to start? Tuscany, the Amalfi Coast, Florence, Rome, Venice, the whole shebang. We went off season, no reservations, rented a car, and took off.

New York City. Again, which part and what time of year?

These are just a few that come to mind and I hope it helps.

Nov 12th, 2003, 03:41 PM
jetset1

Gotravel,
Could you please elaborate on Italy? That seems to be in the top 3 of my wish list, plus, it's pretty much in the heart of the other countries I would love to see. I have French and German heritage, and my husband is Irish, so maybe Europe makes the most sense for us!

Nov 12th, 2003, 04:04 PM

Canaima National Park (Angel Falls), Venezuela. Totally unique and unbelievably beautiful. Not a luxury destination, though - If that's what you are looking for.
Nov 12th, 2003, 04:45 PM

My favorite destinations have been Italy, Australia and and Bali.
All very different.
Wide range of costs.
For a romantic anniversary, I'd slect Italy. Specifically I'd visit Lake Como, Florence, Tuscany and Rome.
But Italy's charms don't end there.
There's Venice, the Italian Alps, Lakes Orta and Maggiore, Capri, Naples, Pompeii, Positano, Portofino, Sicilia...you could spend weeks and weeks there and not see everything worth seeing. It's an amazingly diverse and culturally rich country.
Nov 12th, 2003, 04:57 PM

Southeast Asia, Australia, Caribbean, Europe, the fifty states; my choice? #1 - Atlas Peak, Napa valley, California. The view of San Francisco is magical. Enjoy it most in the fall. #2 - Maho Bay viewed from America Point, St. John, US Virgin Islands. - Special, when viewed with an extra special person.
Nov 12th, 2003, 05:56 PM
GoTravel

jetset, Italy is the mountains down to the Mediterranean and everything in between. It is the most fantastic art and architecture in the world and wonderful food and wine. It is the people and cities and the atmosphere. What are you looking for in a trip? I could not even begin to pinpoint Italy.

Nov 12th, 2003, 06:09 PM

New Madrid, Missouri.

Wanted to see the epicenter of the largest earthquake in North America. The town's earthquake museum was very quaint.
Nov 12th, 2003, 06:13 PM

I'd have to say the most planned trip we took was the 5 1/2 weeks we took and drove the Alcan Highway to Alaska and back in 1992...but I guess that won't be very exciting for you...LOL!

Utahtea
Nov 12th, 2003, 06:51 PM
jetset1

Gotravel and travleis:
I'm sold on Italy, no further details required.. however, at 44(and in denial), I hope to have enough good years to make many more happy experiences. Oh, and if my husband cooperates, he can go too! Wish I could talk some friends into going in on an island rental someday. Now that would be something...

Nov 13th, 2003, 04:27 AM

This is wonderful! My husband was so patient during my year of planning for our ten year anniversary trip to Las Vegas in July! Wait until I get home and tell him that I am starting to plan our 15th! I am so excited!!
Nov 13th, 2003, 04:31 AM

Without a doubt it has to be Tahiti's out-islands Moorea and Bora-Bora.The most gorgeous,drop-dead scenery on earth.Also the most expensive place on earth to visit.
Nov 13th, 2003, 05:41 AM
Doh

South Island of New Zealand (and Australia). Wanted to do Tahiti (and Vietnam, and Thailand, etc. etc.) on the same trip but there was so much time...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO