Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Bostons Bob's Southern Bistro: closing its doors....

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30th, 2007, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's official - Bob's Southern Bistro, or Bob the Chef's as it is also still called, is officially closing - years of great jazz, food, camaraderie .....
I do love that they are closing with a New Orleans style jazz funeral brunch !

Venue will re-opening as Night Town with variety of music and supposedly what will be the best burger in town, according to the new owner- who does plan to keep the Sunday brunch and name it in honor of Settles (who is still part owner of the new Beehive-which is an excellent spot with good food and music)

here's the Globe article for those with memories of Bob's....

http://preview.tinyurl.com/374kw7
Old Oct 30th, 2007, 06:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I read that but no loss to me because once it was no more Bob the chef's, it lost its funkiness and cachet.
Old Oct 30th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

Well I will miss it, - some things changed but I still love the atmosphere, there were still times of neighborhood talk, although you are right Ciga, it was not like before, but we still always enjoyed our nights there - the friendly people and the greens and beans, and being able to tap my feet while eating - Beehive is great, it's just that tad more upscale so not quite the same feeling, but the music sure hits the spot - as does some of the food

I'm glad he's still involved at Beehive - and with all he's done for Boston music, the Beantown jazz fest, etc, it is good to know he will still be around.
Old Oct 30th, 2007, 07:29 PM

He's not the Bob who started it when all the great black and white jazz greats hung out. They all left when Bob did. Bob would barbeque right on the street no frozen stuff like later.
Old Oct 30th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Original Poster

I realize he is not the original owner - my Dads office was a few doors down from Bobs so I knew it well since I was a little kid, through high school, college and now as an 'old lady'

I'm sorry you didn't like it at all after the original owners were no longer there, but I felt happy at least this owner was able to save it from closing completely, and I still enjoy today, the camaraderie of being in a spot surrounded by a wide variety of south end neighbors as well as whoever else grabs a seat and enjoys music. Many things are not the same as they were in the 50's and 60's, such is life in any city - the memories are good ones though.
Old Oct 30th, 2007, 08:13 PM

Do you remember the Pioneer club?
Old Oct 31st, 2007, 05:13 AM
Original Poster

ciga: I do not, but I asked my cousin this morning and he does and said he and my sister used to go there - he called it their after hours joint ....? same place maybe?

My Dad and I had 'our spots' where we ate that was just for us, having to save as he would say, the other places (read:fancier) for when mom was with us - so these places have good memories for me, hanging with my Dad, talking with neighborhood people who all knew each other, good food and in some places like Bobs, music! -many times ended up being Charlie's, Bobs, off Big Mo's truck or the Premier Deli (used to be) on E Berkeley/Washington - so my experiences at Bob were earlier in the day or earlier dinner hours than later at that time/ later came when I was in college and by then it was the "new Bobs" - I am thinking by references you may be more my sisters age.

I'm just happy someone else is going in the space and keeping it an active music spot - I hate to see things close down and shutter down.

On another note, since it seems you've lived in town a long time, do you remember the Checker Smoker on Washington St? I have been trying to find a photograph of it - do you happen to know of a place in Boston that sells old Boston photographs or is a good source for those? I've found photos in books but what I'd really like is an actual photo....

Also: have you been to Beehive? We had heard very mixed reviews and then we had an excellent dinner and service, as well as the music - so either they got the kinks out or we hit it at the right time - want to try it again with out of town visitors, but they are clients and my husband is on the fence if our experience was a fluke - interested if you've been and have an opinion - thanks !
Old Oct 31st, 2007, 06:45 AM

Haven't been to the beehive yet. For old photos call the Brattle Book store on West St. I bought 1920s New Yorkers there as gifts.
Yes, the Pioneer was an after hour club where all the famous jazz people went to and sometimes performed. I was working at Storyville part time and would go there with some of the performers.
Old Oct 31st, 2007, 07:17 AM

http://www.postcardshopping.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc
Old Oct 31st, 2007, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

CIga: my cousin called me at work so I came back on to tell you: he says there were not many women there in his day, so he is betting you two might have 'brushed shoulders' - he said he would go mostly with buddies from the Dugout or other palces where he bartended -he sometime went with some buddies and the African Queen but he doubts Kevin from Heaven ever went there and sometimes depending on who they went with my sister would go along.

He said he remembers having to knock on the door and a polite but serious fellow would open it and if you were either a member or with a member you could get in - knives and guns checked at the door - and that he is sure both sides were protecting the place and even tho he is sure it was unlicensed, there were many of his friends there included police, fire and those with political jobs and well as some high brows from finance with some pretty ladies. He says lots of good memories and stories

His recollection is he mostly saw players there after they had fininshed their stint at Pauls Mall, Connollys Startdust or Wallys, among other places.

He remembers it might have closed in the early 70's, maybe the mid to late seventies, a victim of urban renewal, re-gentrification and political change as well as the whole thing with something to do with the music union and the forced joining of the two different music unions or something that he felt all these things lessened the jazz scene in town.

Thanks for the post card/photo link. My parents met in the Checker Smoker, we are putting together famiy albums and only have a photo from a book and would rather the real mcCoy -

I think we'll go back to the Beehive then with these folks, our experience was so good and it is such a close walk for us and for them with their hotel - will go make rezzies now -

thanks again ciga, for that info!
Old Oct 31st, 2007, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

cig: well he's calling again....I told him enough or he will have to join Fodors so he can chat with you himself - but he said, well you have to tell her this:
but first, he wants to be sure I know the Dugout is the same Dugout I went to during BU - and to remind me that it was speakeasy prior to the repeal of prohibition.

And to tell you that he knows of Storyville only because the owner of the Dugout (in his day) was Jimmy O’Keefe who hob knobbed with guys like Lou Walters, Ted Williams, Jimmy “double X “ Foxx - that he never went to Storyville but a lot of places like Gladys Troupin at the Lenox, the old Café Budapest etc.

Now I've told him that's is enough reminiscing for you two