Boston vs Charleston

Search

Boston vs Charleston

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2007, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boston vs Charleston

would you rather visit boston or charleston, sc? also which beaches are better? coast guard beach or sc beaches (wild dunes, kiwah, seabrook)?
Old Dec 27th, 2007, 08:32 AM

Interesting comparison.
Depends on time of the year. Charleston is oppresive in the summer, Boston is awful in the winter. Both are great in the fall. Charleston has the best spring by far.
For beaches, (I assume you would be going to the Cape--Coast Guard Beach). Cape cod beaches are beautiful, more surf but water temperature is cold. Charleston area beaches are gentle, warmer and also nice.
Both cities are historic so you can do the tourist thing equally in both. Restaurants good both places, more expensive in Boston.
If in the summer, Boston has the Red Sox to tempt you as well as better museums, shows (as in theatre, etc).
Boston is harder to get around by car but both have small central areas so walking is easy. More enthnic diversity in Boston.

I assume you will have a car (if considering Cape), then there is much more to do in the environs of Boston than Charleston. A 2 hr drive can get you anywhere from the Cape to Maine or NH in Boston but only to Savannah/Beaufort near Charleston.
Old Dec 27th, 2007, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

its for the spring or summer.
sounds like youve been to both. which would you rather return to?
Old Dec 27th, 2007, 08:56 AM
dmlove

How many days are you considering? (Boston is a small "big city"; Charleston is a big "small city"....). Both are wonderful, but if I had a week, I'd pick Boston, only 3 or 4 days, Charleston.

Old Dec 27th, 2007, 09:05 AM

I live in Boston (Lexington) and grew up in Charleston.
Where are you coming from and how much time do you have? I agree with dmlove, Charleston needs less time the Boston/New England.
Old Dec 27th, 2007, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

Maybe 4-5 days. SC looks more tropical, but limited in accomodations. Anyone been to Kiawah, Wild Dunes or Seabrook?
Most interested in good walking beaches & pools.
Old Dec 27th, 2007, 09:43 AM

We went to Charleston a few years ago, and just went to Boston/Nantucket this September. If I had to return to one, I'd pick Boston - Charleston was beautiful, but Boston was really vibrant and had an amazing energy that we loved. We toured plantations and gardens in Charleston; in Boston, we went to a Red Sox game, walked the Freedom Trail, and went whale watching. There was so much in Boston that I had read about in history books - really amazing to see it all in person. Seems like things shut down pretty early in Charleston, but in Boston, there was a lot of nighttime activity. Both had amazing restaurants. And we liked the beaches on both Kiawah and Nantucket.
Old Dec 27th, 2007, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

did you like the villas/hotel at kiawah?

any good beachside hotels near coast guard (cape cod)?
Old Dec 27th, 2007, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

did you stay @ a nantucket hotel?
Old Dec 27th, 2007, 03:04 PM

We stayed at a B&B called the Martin House Inn - all of the places we saw there were B&Bs built in old houses - cute, classic Nantucket style with porches and blooming hydrangeas. Our room had its own private balcony and a nice fireplace (but no firewood) - they served fresh baked goods in the afternoon which scored major points with my husband. Also had a private bath with a tub. Nantucket has a lot of charm, but be prepared for a little sticker shock - we found it to be very pricey. If you go, try to go sailing on The Endeavor - we loved that.
Old Dec 27th, 2007, 05:00 PM

Charleston
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 04:37 AM
Cassandra

This is really an apples and oranges comparison, especially if you are thinking beaches. You go to Boston for different reasons, mostly, from the reasons you'd go to Charleston. Yes, both will give you some history, but otherwise it's a little like saying LA versus Seattle.

The short version is that it's South vs. North. History is there in both places, but it's different history, largely because Boston "grew up" and gained its wealth in different era(s) from Charleston's heydays -- and the wealth came from different things, and still does. One has its energy devoted to arts, letters, sports, science, and general culture; one has its energy devoted to gracious living (including beaches and golf) and regional-historical expression.

As for beaches -- Coast Guard beach is a serious hike (a couple of hours, even in low traffic) from Boston and most wouldn't consider it part of Boston as a destination. Only hearty "Yankee" swimmers really get into the Cape Cod waters in the summer, which if you're lucky the water will get into the upper 60s; otherwise they're there more for appreciating their rough beauty and maybe tanning. The SC beaches are great for committed beaching, although they're a lot flatter and can be pretty steamy in the summer.

Why do you ask -- when are you coming and where are you coming from?

Old Dec 28th, 2007, 04:42 AM
cfc

Boston. Hands down. More to do, more to see, more to enjoy.

Hard to find oceanside hotels/resorts on Cape Cod because it's such an old and preserved resort area that beaches are mainly lined with older beach homes. The Chatham Bars might fill your bill.
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 04:44 AM
cfc

(Any particular reason you single out "Coast Guard Beach"? I prefer Truro, Pamet, Nauset, and island beaches.)
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

I read Coast Guard beach is one of the best beaches in USA. Kiawah in SC is also highly rated. Basicly, just looking for a top rated beach to go to in USA, & I've already been to beaches in VA & NC, so looking for new place. Will also consider FL.
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

I'm leaning towards SC cause the water will be warmer & the proximity to the beaches.

Anyone recommend Wild Dunes, Kiawah or Seabrook?
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 08:50 AM

We really liked Kiawah, but we just went for the day, so can't recommend a place to stay. The beach was beautiful though.
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

i thought you have to stay at resort to visit kiawah beach.
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

what does ttt mean? i've seen it in other replies.
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 09:08 AM
dmlove

I think it stands for "to the top", like other people use "bump" --- it's just a way to get your thread to the top of the list again without adding anything substantive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -