boston trip for a week

Search

boston trip for a week

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2005, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
boston trip for a week

my husband has got some training from 26th july to 29th july...we are planning to REACH bOSTON ON SUNDAY EVE BY ROAD FROM BUFFALO.please suggest me places on the way and to spend a week in boston ...we will have the car...pls suggest wher eis it sensible to use car or public transport...we will be staying in a hotel in Framingham ...how far is it from the usual sightseeing places"? and what are the places to visit around that area.Kindly suggest.
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 11:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
framingham is too far away from the city for me to help you. In Boston you don't need a car. I walk or use the 'T"
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 11:20 AM

Framingham is not in Boston, it's a separate city/suburb, about 20 miles west of Boston.

There is a commuter rail train that runs between Framingham and the Back Bay and South Station in Boston; it takes about 45 minutes and costs $5 per person, each way. If you are planning on spending a week in Boston after the 4 days of training in Framingham, I would strongly recommend that you switch to a more convenient hotel.
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 11:23 AM

Framingham is pretty far from Boston,and has only urban sprawl and shopping malls.

But it is an easy drive from Framinigham to the Alewife station T stop (at the end of the subway - red line); park your car in the big garage for the day, like the commuters do. Use public transportion -- the T -- while in Boston.

Your car would be good for trips to Lexington/Concord, or even to Plymouth or Cape Anne (and some beachs).

If you want to spend a night on the road, consider Stockbridge or some other town in the Berkshires. They are probably about 4-5 hours from Boston.
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 11:24 AM

Oops, sorry I forgot about the commuter rail stop.
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 12:36 PM

Stockbridge is only about two hours from Boston, and of course a little less than that from Framingham. The midpoint of the trip would be in upstate New York.
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 01:03 PM

If you take the commuter rail from Framingham to Boston, parking costs $2. Make sure to bring singles, because you have to shove the money into a small box, and can't get change.

I work in Framingham. If you'd like directions to the train station from your hotel, let me know which one it is. Also, I can offer some recommendations for dinner. there are a few decent restaurants in this area.

Driving into Boston, outside of rush hour, will take about 30-40 minutes. It would take you 45 minutes to get to the Alewife T-stop, and would be subject to worse rush hour traffic, so its probably not worth it. You can also get to the end of the Green line in Riverside in 30-40 minutes, also not really worth it.

Granted, parking in downtown Boston is expensive, but its going to be the fastest and easiest way in and out of the city. If you are reasonably comfortable with city driving, that is what I would do. drive in, park underneath Boston Common, and do your sightseeing from there.

There is pretty much nothing out here in the western burbs that would be of interest to a tourist. Downtown Framingham has a tiny art musuem. There are occasionally free concerts in the summer. Plenty of mall shopping. movie theaters, including an IMAX. There's a very small beach on the reservoir at Hopkinton state park, and an are where you can rent a canoe or kayak that might be a relaxing way to spend some time. really, none of these things are worth going out of your way for, but if you don't want to leave the immediate area that's about it.

Oh and Sturbridge isn't that far. It's probably less than an hour from Framingham, so that could be an interesting daytrip, if you like the idea of visiting Sturbridge Village.

You could get to a north shore beach, like Cranes Beach or Wingarsheek, in slightly over an hour. I think you can get to the Rhode Island beaches (Horeseneck?) in a similar amount of time. Might be a nice thing to do on a weekday. Crane's Beach is great.

Hope this helps. If anything sounds good, or you want ideas for other day trips let us know what you like and I'm sure we can come up with more ideas.

Lenox/Stockbridge is a great idea for a stop on the way from Buffalo. Are you planning on making the trip all in 1 day, or spending some time on the way? You could also stop at Howe Caverns in New York. There are some nice places to overnight, not too far from I-90 in the Catskills. I'm not sure of the distance, but Cooperstown and Springfield are on your way (baseball and basketball halls of fame if that's your thing).
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 05:51 PM

Wow- you would think Framingham is Cow country.
I sleep at my friends house is Fram when I need to go to Logan because it takes about 20 mins to Logan.
It is NOT a touristy spot at ALL...and because Boston has expensive parking not a great place to commute from BUT if Framingham is the place you have to stay due to training it's not a bad ride if you are willing to pay about 20 bucks for parking when you want to go into town.
To do...
Stroll around Quincy market and have dinner in the North end.. you could also do a tour heres a couple Reservations are required for Michele Topor's three-hour North End Market Tours , scheduled year-round on Wednesdays and Saturdays at 10 a.m. and 2 p.m., and Fridays at 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. In summer, call at least three weeks ahead for a Saturday tour. The tours, which run rain or shine, cost $49 per person. Group tours can also be arranged. Info: 617-523-6032, http://www.northendmarkettours.com .

THE NORTH END: Reservations are also required for the two-hour North End Secret Tour run by longtime resident Guild Nichols. The tour, which details Sacco and Vanzetti's wake, the Great Molasses Flood of 1919 and other historical intrigue, is offered Fridays and Saturdays at 10 a.m., 1 and 4 p.m., and costs $30. Info: 617-720-2283, http://www.northendboston.com/secrettours .

Also I think there is St Joseph's fest that weekend.

Newbury Street is a bit of a must. Sonsie or Stephanies for upscale.

Then I might hit Harvard Sq. Go to Grendels den for decent cheap food. Stroll around and shop. Or have burgers at ... whats the name of that place...And ice cream that is SO good at Toscanno or something like that...
someone will know that name!

There is also Walden Pond and thats not too far. A quick ride to Gloucester or Rockport?

Lots to do

Have fun!!

Old Jul 19th, 2005, 03:59 AM

Lexington and Concord is relatively close - you can do the history thing there.

One word of advice about the drive. Due to some road naming quirk that I could only begin to explain, Route 128 and Route 95 in that area are the same roads (although not the same everywhere in Massachusetts). Locals call it Route 128. Signage is primarily Route 95, but also Route 128. If you should tune into traffic reports, most call it Route 128. But many mapping programs call it Route 95. Clear enough?

Now, you probably don't want to know about the place south of there where Route 128 South is the same as Route 93 North (or it might be the other way around, I don't remember). And even though the Mass Turnpike is called Route 90 on a map, it is never called by a route number - just the Mass Pike.

And when you have to pay tolls, make sure you don't get into "Fast Lane" because they do not take any money - just charge a transponder, that you may or may not have and may or may not be compatible with Massachusetts system and may or may not work.

Be sure to let us know how you enjoy our highway system!
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 04:23 AM

I'm just writing to confirm what gail said about Route 128 -- she's not making this up.

The ring road around Boston was officially Route 128 originally but was renamed because of some federal details. Now, the northern part is Route 95 and the southern part is Route 93, but since Route 93 also goes straight through Boston and then bends around westward to join 95, it's heading in the opposite direction. A good map will clarify this -- as you're heading south on Route 95, you'll get to Exit 12, where the "exit" is the main highway's 4 lanes which suddenly are called Route 93 North, and if you want to stay on Route 95 South you have to take the exit ramp! Welcome to Boston!

Of course, if you're heading into Boston from Framingham, you'll be taking the Mass Pike (AKA Route 90) and none of this matters.
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 05:06 AM

mgupta you are coming from (live in Buffalo?) then you probably know...the fastlanes on the Mass Pike accept the EZPass transponders from NY state. so if you have one, that will work just fine.
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 06:19 AM

Just a word of warning...if you have your EZPass mounted in your windshield and you go to a cash tollbooth like we did because we didn't realize they took EZPass, your EZPass might get charged anyway by an adjacent Fastlane reader. This happened to us and we never got our money back from EZPass (it's been almost 2 years).