Boston to Yellowstone

Mar 15th, 2009, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Boston to Yellowstone

We are traveling to Yellowstone from Boston in September. I want to drive but spouse does not want to take the time. I guess the sensible thing would be to fly. But, hating that hassle I am looking at Amtrak. Is it possible? I know Boston to Chicago is OK, but would it be the Empire Builder from there? And is that a good alternative?
Mar 15th, 2009, 07:40 AM

From Yellowstone website: "Train service is not available to Yellowstone National Park. The nearest train depots are in southeast Idaho, Salt Lake City, Utah and northern Montana."
Mar 15th, 2009, 07:41 AM

I don't know if you already knew that and were thinking of renting a car....
Mar 15th, 2009, 07:42 AM

From YP web site: The nearest train depots are in southeast Idaho, Salt Lake City, and northern Montana.

But taking the train is not going to be faster than driving. If anything, it will be slower.

Delta flies direct from Boston to Salt Lake -- you could at least avoid the hassle of changing planes, and then drive from there.
Mar 15th, 2009, 07:43 AM

Wow soccr. great minds think alike.
Mar 15th, 2009, 03:42 PM

You could also fly to Denver and rent a car and drive up from there and go through to Yellowstone. Would give you a bit of the west and be faster than from Boston. I'm sure there are direct flights from Boston that would get in to Denver before noon and you could be half way there by night. Go in through Cody and out through Jackson Hole and you get to see the Grand Tetons too.
Mar 15th, 2009, 06:16 PM

Fly into Jackson, WY (Jackson Hole) and rent a car from there.
You can get flights from Salt Lake City.
Mar 15th, 2009, 07:16 PM

If you want to go to Glacier National Park, the Empire Builder is great, but not for Yellowstone. I think the closest it comes to Yellowstone is either Browning or Havre, MT. It's a great trip if you like train travel. but is no quicker than driving.
Mar 16th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the ideas. Looks like we are going to fly. Salt Lake City, Jackson, Denver??? n Best for scenic?