COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Lake of the Ozarks/Yellowstone National Park

Old Jul 13th, 2005, 10:40 AM
blu
Original Poster

Lake of the Ozarks/Yellowstone National Park

My husband and I are planning a trip to either Lake of the Ozarks or Yellowstone. Which would be better to go to? Any information on either of them would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 10:53 AM

More info, please. What time of year? What kinds of activities do you enjoy? Where are you coming from and where have you been?

I've been to both and enjoyed both, but for very different reasons.
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 11:19 AM

WOW, that is some variety in your choices!

Jocelyn has some good follow up questions.

I have been to both as well and would be no question that I would choose Yellowstone but thats just me.
Old Jul 17th, 2005, 04:30 AM

Go to Yellowstone and if you go to Yellowstone, don't miss the Grand Teton National Park 60-70 miles south of the Yellowstone South enterance. Allow about 2-3 days in the Tetons and 3-4 days in Yellowstone. Yellowstone is a huge park and both have a lot of things to see.
Old Jul 17th, 2005, 07:40 PM

Better is such a relative word that normally it would be tough to answer. Better as in ??

This time though, I feel pretty comfortable saying that I find that Lake of the Ozarks is not in the same league as Yellowstone in appeal. Not even close.

If you want play skee ball, buy a t-shirt or boat and ski on a very nice and very large man-made lake, the LotO is your place. It definitely wins if better means water sports.

On natural wonder, wildlife or just general WOW appeal... Yellowstone, easy. It's huge, it's not covered in resort lodges and mini-amusement parks. The first national park.

I'm from Missouri and spent much much time at Lake of the Ozarks. Over the years it's become very overdeveloped in Lake Ozark and Osage Beach. Camdenton and Eldon are better, but still - it's a weekenders lake/boating location for KC and St. Louisans. If you do choose LotO, try to get into a resort with some space, such as Tan-Tar-A. It's pretty peaceful on the grounds of the larger resorts. Better yet, if it's the Ozarks, consider Bull Shoals lake. Or a float on the Current and/or Jacks Fork rivers (so nice). Much more peaceful if that's appealing.

Mostly though, I'd still say I'd personally never pass on Yellowstone for the Ozarks - and I love the Ozarks!