Boston to New York City

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 06:13 PM
Charles

Boston to New York City

What is the best way to travel from Boston to New York City. Cost is a concern. There will be two making the trip.

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 06:48 PM
phil

Take the Amtrak train. A bus would likely be cheaper but would be a longer ride.

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 06:48 PM
Howard

If cost is your primary or sole consideration, then take the bus.

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 07:26 PM
al

Howard's right - the bus is your best bet if COST is your primary concern, but believe me, it's torture. I've done it.

If you're not staying long, shop around for a cheap car rental rate. You might spend a little more money but you'll enjoy your trip alot more. At least then you'll control your own destiny and won't leave it up to Greyhound or Peter Pan or Amtrak.

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 05:13 AM
jhm

I answered another post on this just a little while ago, but Acela (the high speed Amtrak train) is having a sale through mid-September on weekends - 2 people for the price of one (which comes out to around $60 each round trip). Quicker, cheaper. www.amtrak.com.

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 02:22 PM
coco

Charles,
I, too, just posted on another question (same topic): look into the airline shuttles. I know Delta is only about $100 Round Trip on weekends and off hours. I'm sure US Air is similarly priced. ONLY l HOUR each way, half hour to and from airport on each end by bus. Even the fastest train has trouble making the trip in under 4 hours. I think the cost would work out to be in the same ballpark.

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 04:24 PM
Daniel Williams

The fastest train, the Acela Express routinely makes the trip in approx. 3 1/2 hours. True, there have been delays, but the statistics I've read and my experience travelling on both train/plane indicate that trains are on-time more often than planes by a considerable margin. A Boston newspaper reported on an Acela vs. Shuttle (Delta?) race from Midtown Manhattan to some Post Office in Boston when the express train first started. Due to delays on the Shuttle (waiting in line, waiting at the gate, waiting to take off), the reporter who took the plane (taxi to or from both airports)arrived only one minute earlier than the reporter on Acela, who relaxed, watched the scenery and whose train was 10 minutes late.

Check for the article in the Boston Globe (?) archives I believe. For this trip, I would pick train over plane any day of the week. (But I must admit, I don't particularly enjoy flying...)