Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Suite hotel in Washington DC: where to stay?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2014, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're a family of four traveling to Washington DC the last week of May. We plan to do all the usual tourist things, since it is the kids' (both age 17) first time to DC. I have reservations at the Embassy Suites Convention Center. Now I'm second-guessing myself and wondering if I should book Avenue Suites or a Residence Inn instead.

The location of Avenue Suites looks appealing (teenage daughter would really like Georgetown area, I think), and it gets great reviews, but is it too far from the museums, monuments, etc? We're good with public transportation, but we are fine with walking also.

What about any of the Residence Inns in town? Location or other criteria? We'd really love to find a hotel with three beds, but I haven't found one. Any advice, recommendations welcome.
Old Jan 16th, 2014, 09:33 AM

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/.../w...ton-dc-capitol

My family and I stayed at this hotel on E St SW. It was approximately 2 blocks to the Federal Center Metro station and within walking distance to the Mall and the Capitol Building. There was a pizza place on the same block where we ate a few times, and a Potbellies was right around the corner. The suite had two bedrooms, a pull-out couch, two bathrooms, and a kitchen.
Old Jan 16th, 2014, 10:23 AM

If you want an active area of D.C. within close distance of the National Mall and other attractions, then the Embassy Suites is in a better location than the Avenue Suites or the above-mentioned Residence Inn. The Embassy Suites Convention Center is near the Penn Quarter/Chinatown area of D.C. that is chock-a-block with restaurants as well as attractions such as the American Art Museum/American Portrait Museum, Ford's Theatre, International Spy Museum and Crime and Punishment Museum. There's also a number of live theatre venues if you enjoy the stage. And, of course, there are several nearby Metro stations and it's within walking distance of the Mall.

The locations of the other two hotels aren't bad (although the Residence Inn is much closer to the Mall than the Avenue Suites.) It just depends on what you are looking for.
Old Jan 16th, 2014, 10:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Had no trouble with getting around from Avenue Suites, after all it is Georgetown...well connected to everything. If you have a car, watch parking rates at the various hotel choices however....I think Ave Suites was close to $40 per night.
Old Jan 19th, 2014, 08:03 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
We'd really love to find a hotel with three beds, but I haven't found one.

You might want to take a closer look at the Avenue Suites then. Many of the rooms are double queen with a queen size pull out sofa. The location is a former apartment building so the rooms are oversized and, I think, include small kitchens. Ave Suites is fresh off of a major upgrade in stylish looks. Neighborhood is more residential than the Embassy Suites you're booked into.

Despite its name, the Ave Suites is not located in Georgetown but in a neighborhood called West End. It's a five minute walk into G'town, however, as well as about the same walk in the opposite direction to the Foggy Bottom metro. The Smithsonian metro station is a 5-7 minute ride.

$40 is standard for hotel parking in DC. More isn't unheard of. There are less expensive options around if you need to park a car.

There are 4 Residence Inns in DC and none of them really adds much in location to the Embassy Suites except possibly the one on P Street near Dupont Circle. It's a little farther away from the Mall but it's a great neighborhood, lots of one off shops & restaurants, walkable to Georgetown and very close to a metro station. Lots of people choose this area when they visit DC. There are a couple of other suites hotels in this neighborhood. The Carlyle Suites comes to mind.
Old Jan 19th, 2014, 10:24 AM

We had three beds at the roomy Hotel Sofitel. Very nice location - close to the White House.
Old Jan 19th, 2014, 07:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone. I'll look into the Sofitel. So far, I've found several hotels (Embassy, Residence, Avenue among others) with two beds + sofabed, but I haven't seen any yet with three actual beds. I've thought about VRBO, but haven't looked into that yet.
Old Jan 21st, 2014, 03:20 PM

Georgetown isn't a very convenient location because it doesn't have a metro stop. I don't know how cg can say it is no trouble and Georgetown is "well connected to everything" because it isn't. I don't know what that means. There is a circulator bus and other buses, but buses have to withstand traffic, of course, so often are not as convenient as the metro. And Georgetown is far enough away from stuff that you won't be walking to things.

I just checked and it isn't in Georgetown, anyway, so not sure of those comments. It's around L and 25th with def. isn't Georgetown. That makes it a little more convenient as the Foggy Bottom metro isn't too far away (but across major roads, not that great a pedestrian walk to it, still farther than I'd want), but if the goal of staying there is because the daughter thinks it is Georgetown, think again. A friend of mine used to stay there on business, it used to be an Embassy Suites, I think. Nothing a whole lot right around it in terms of shops or restaurants or street life, I wouldn't stay there, but you can get by if you do, of course.

There is an Embassy Suites on 22nd not far from Dupont Circle that I think is a convenient location. IS there some reason you aren't considering it?
Old Jan 21st, 2014, 04:57 PM

Dc is very good VRBO town. DO look into it...
Old Jan 21st, 2014, 05:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh brother, Christina.

Georgetown is a 3 min walk from Avenue Suites, just cross the bridge....and the Foggy Bottom metro is 5 minutes at most...and a very pleasant walk. You can walk to Dupont Circle (Embassy Suites there is another good choice) , GWU, Kennedy Center, etc, and The White House is about a 25 min walk straight up Pennsylvania avenue. Bike rentals are across the street from the hotel, buses and the Circulator run regularly.
Old Jan 21st, 2014, 05:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The OP isn't interested in this property but for the benefit of someone who reads this thread in the future, Christina, you aren't the least bit familiar with the immediate area.

A friend of mine used to stay there on business, it used to be an Embassy Suites, I think.

No, it didn't used to be an Embassy Suites. It was formerly the Washington Suites before it was acquired by the Modus Group and refurbished. Prior to that it was an apartment building. There are a dozen or more neighborhood restaurants and bars within immediate sight of the hotel. It's a residential area. Easy walk to Foggy Bottom metro.

There is an Embassy Suites on 22nd not far from Dupont Circle that I think is a convenient location.

Same neighborhood as the Avenue Suites, Christina. West End. Equidistant between FB and Dupont Circle metros.
Old Jul 30th, 2014, 07:26 AM

Any idea how comfortable those sleeper sofas are for an adult???
Are there any 2 bedroom suites?

We will be in DC for Thanksgiving to be with a family member who will be working at the Kennedy Center. We'd like a location convenient to the Kennedy Center, but we also hope to do some sightseeing.
Thanks for any info!
Old Jul 30th, 2014, 11:26 AM

Here are some 2 bedroom rentals very close to Kennedy Center. As always, way better than any suite hotel you'll find. FYI - when looking at the maps for these rentals, the Kennedy Center is just across F St. from the Watergate complex.

http://www.vrbo.com/273657

http://www.vrbo.com/464714

http://www.vrbo.com/346649