Boston to Cape Cod

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 03:50 AM
Johnlw

Boston to Cape Cod

We are visiting Boston this July, and then traveling to Cape Cod (North Truro) for a week. Since our travel day is Saturday, I worry about heavy traffic going all the way up the cape.

My question is would it make more sense to take a ferry over? Is there such a thing available? Would it be better to drive?

I know there are some folks from Boston out there, any ideas? Thanks.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 04:06 AM
gail

There is a ferry to Provincetown, but I believe it is only a passenger ferry. Most rentals start Saturday afternoon, so everyone drives on Saturday. If you leave at an ungodly hour (5 AM or so), you will beat most of the traffic, but have no place to settle into for several hours. If the weather is good, you get lots of day-trip and short weekend types, so the traffic is worse.

Friday evening is not much better. Sorry to be so negative about traffic.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 04:08 AM
Jen

Sorry, no auto ferries from Boston to anyplace. Leave early.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 04:57 AM
Gene

Gail has a good idea. Leave around, 5AM to beat the traffic. Drive past Truro to Ptovincetown where you can hang out until your place in North Truro is ready.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 06:55 AM
gail

Another thought - if you are renting a cottage. Everyone arrives at mid-afternoon, checks out their rental and the beach, and hits the supermarket at between 3 and 6 PM. Long lines, which certainly will not kill you, but after dealing with traffic delays, it is probably the last places you want to be. We sometimes leave real early and hit the supermarket late morning (if you have a cooler and space in the car) or bring enough provisions to last until Sunday AM and shop then.

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 01:53 PM
mark

5 is a bit conservative. You can leave Boston by 6:30-7 and be fine not only at the canal but all the way to Truro. We live near the canal (capeside) and go to the beach in Welfleet/Truro at 8:30 on many Saturdays and hit very little traffic. The rental turnover time is around noon and as a result the busiest traffic time is 9-1.