Boston to Bar Harbor

Search

Boston to Bar Harbor

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2014, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boston to Bar Harbor

My husband and I are traveling to Boston in late July for a wedding and wanted to extend our trip up the coast through New Hampshire and Maine, ending around Bar Harbor and then driving back.The total time would be 7-10 days, depending on how much time is necessary.

We are looking for recommendations on places to stay, where to eat, things to do, etc. This is our first time to Maine and New Hampshire and we love the outdoors. We are in our 20's and want to be able to get a taste of everything from harbor cruises and hiking to exploring the towns, shopping, or doing anything else the area has to offer in the summertime. Any hints and tips for summertime visits would be great!
Old Jan 27th, 2014, 01:35 PM

The highlight of our 2012 stay in Bar Harbor was a sea kayaking trip. There are a handful of outfitters, but we went with National Park Sea Kayak Tours. We had a great time. We also biked a good portion of the carriage roads in Acadia and they were great fun as well. We had our own bikes, but there are a couple of bike shops in Bar Harbor that offer rentals. I loved the area and really look forward to seeing more of the state at some point.
Old Jan 27th, 2014, 02:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One hint would be to book fairly soon, because late July fills up on the coast of Maine. You won't be able to drive around looking for vacancies unless you don't mind roadside lodges with jacked-up rates.

For what you list...you'll want to look at Portsmouth 2 or 3 nights (harbor cruise 1 day) with a day trip to Ogunquit/York. Then Kennebunkport for a day stop, on your way to maybe Portland or Freeport for the night. Then a couple of nights near Camden/Mt. Battie and maybe 3 nights in Bar Harbor. Returning, the day before your flight home from Boston, you might want to spend the afternoon and evening near Salem or Gloucester Mass, or Beverly Mass if you have a morning flight out.

If you put "Coastal Maine" into the SEARCH FORUMS box above you'll get lots of information....or just search any of these towns.
Old Jan 28th, 2014, 01:54 AM

You can do some easy hiking in the Harpswells. Google conservation areas. There's a map we picked up. Plan to do some picnics so bring some basic picnic supplies with you i.e. insulated bag. There are some great lobster places in this area. I particularly liked the one in Cundy's Harbor. If you google best lobster roll there are some foody reports of various places that might help you plan your trip.

I agree with Portsmouth recommendation. You could do a stop for beach time as you drive further north. You'll find lots of chowhound.com reports on Portland Maine which might be a good stop on the way back south before flying home.

We don't kayak or bike but there are lots of great opportunities. Agree with indyhiker's recommendation. I think you should also plan a day trip/pack a lunch to Monhegan Island for hiking. If you enjoy art, you can also visit the Farnsworth Museum in Rockland.

You can get a list of wineries etc from the State Dept of Agriculture but will probably also find maps in the tourist info centers. There's also a lot of micro breweries. Better figure on 10 days. Also get a list of farmers markets. If you pack a picnic lunch you can get local yogurt or cheese and fresh strawberries or blueberries, breads etc. plus it's fun to do a non-tourist thing. If you're lucky, you'll be able to find a good piece of strawberry rhubarb pie someplace.
Old Jan 28th, 2014, 05:05 AM

My post on this thread might be useful:
http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...ons-please.cfm

~Liz