Old May 4th, 1998, 10:08 AM
Claire Gustafson

Boston side trips

Am going to Boston in July for 3 days. I'm staying
at the Boston Harbor Hotel. Any suggestions for
great Italian food? From looking at the tour books
about Boston, it sounds like there are a lot of
places near Boston that would be great to go to, so
I'm thinking about taking an extra couple of days.
Which places would be the best?? I'm land-locked in
Denver and love the ocean.

Old May 4th, 1998, 12:39 PM
p. thompson

Claire,

Not sure when in July you'll be in Boston, but if you are here during the 4th of July, you'll want to be sure to attend the fireworks/boston pops celebration along the Charles River. Its about a 1/2 hour away from the hotel that you are staying at.

Also, you'll be within walking distance of the North End (Boston's Little Italy) and I'm sure someone at the Conceirge's desk can recommend a good Italian restaurant for you. Be sure to visit Fanueil Hall which is literally across the street from your hotel. Lots of restaurants, shops and outside entertainment here.

For some other activites to do, maybe a boat ride to Provincetown, Cape Cod. The boats are right next to the Aquarium (next door to your hotel) or maybe visit Newport, Rhode Island and tour the mansions (about 1 1/2 hours from Boston).

The Boston Harbor Hotel is one of Boston's finest hotels so you will definitely be happy with the hotel and its location.

Have a great time.

Old May 4th, 1998, 12:47 PM
John Membrino

Claire,
You might try Lexington and Concord, very interesting and chock full of history and not too far from Boston proper. I would avoid going to Cape Cod in July unless you go very early in the morning during the middle of the week. The traffic going out there can be horrendous. Good luck

Old May 4th, 1998, 01:57 PM
Neal Sanders

The above posts are right on the money. Let me add that as there probably aren't a lot of whales in Denver, you might enjoy a whale watch tour, which leaves (I think) from Rowes Wharf, right behind your hotel. In three hours, you'll see as many as two dozen whales, up close and personal, July being prime whale season in the region. If you want to see more of the ocean, rent a car and drive south (bypassing Cape Cod, which is wall to wall humanity in July) and head for the Rhode Island and Connecticut shores. Watch Hill, RI and Stonington, CT are two of the most scenic New England villages this side of paradise.

Old May 4th, 1998, 03:25 PM
ellen

Definitely head for Newport RI. Also, Salem MA to see history of the accused of being a witch is interesting, esp. if you have children. Not too far is both Portsmouth NH as well as Newburyport MA, and Ogunquit ME.

Old May 5th, 1998, 04:46 AM
the jester

Why not take a Duck Tour of the city?

Old May 5th, 1998, 06:00 PM
Olga

After you've done Boston, which is a great place to visit, drive down the coast to Newport, Rhode Island to see some very impressive mansions which once were the seat of summer activity of America's wealthy. John Kennedy married Jackie in a "house" which belonged to her family. It's on the water - John Kennedy had his boat "The Honey Fritz" docked there. Newport is also where so many tennis tournaments have been played - grass courts. Most of these places can be toured, Newport is on the water, and it's very charming.

Further on head for Stonington, Connecticut. It's a quaint seaside town with very old homes. Many sea captains built homes here which are still lived in. It's also an artists colony of sorts, active in the summer, great seafood, antiques, etc.

I live at the New Jersey shore, but love the rugged coast of this part of Connecticut

Old May 6th, 1998, 04:28 AM
Miss White

Just to clarify the first post, the Pops concert on July 4 may be a half-hour walk from your hotel, but it's just a few minutes on the subway or in a cab. And the subway system on that day is incredibly well-staffed and organized.

Old May 11th, 1998, 04:42 PM
Sandra Engley

Lots of great suggestions above. In addition to the above list whenheading North, the picturesque town of Rockport with Motif no. 1 in the harbor is one of the most photographed seaport towns in America, even shown at the American Experience in Epcot. A charming town to stroll around in eat seafood and visit shops on bearskin neck. Also North a shoppers delight can be found in the outlets of Kittery Maine, or Freeport Maine. Heading South of Boston, the JFK presidential library is like a walk thru time, very enjoyable for those old enough to remember the Kennedy years.

Old May 13th, 1998, 06:44 AM
karen

Agree with earlier post: your hotel choice is spectacular (did you splurge for a water view?); the concierge should be able to arrange and advise on ANYthing you want! The hotel restaurant is also superb. Ideas: I've heard that the Old Town Trolley tour has recently been reviewed as one of the more "accurate" in its commentary, and is a nice overview of the city. I would not use any of an only-3-day visit at Fanueil Hall Marketplace (as opposed to Faneuil Hall, itself, which is a historic building beside the restored & developed "marketplace") -- over the years the shops have become more chain store style, i.e., GAP, etc., and you can do much better eating in the North End. A visit to Lexington and Concord is an inspiring side trip and, again, the concierge could find you a tour. See the Battle Green in Lex., where it all started and where the first casualties are buried; houses surrounding it were "witnesses to the battle". The National Park Service is putting the finishing touches on an impressively restored Battle Road thru the countryside; the Visitor's Center has lots of info, then go to the Concord Bridge. Don't drive in the city (frankly, driving in the vicinity of your hotel is a nightmare - tons of construction going on).

Old May 13th, 1998, 08:24 AM
Jacqueline Vigeant

Claire, if you have the time, Newport, Rhode Island is a must. Touring the mansions and getting the history will be well worth the drive. While in Boston, take in Salem, Massachusetts. The Witch Museum is very nice and tour the House of Seven Gables. It will be fun.

Old May 15th, 1998, 10:47 AM
ben

For a side trip, go to Cape Ann!
Rockport is a great village with lots of restaraunts, art galleries, shops etc. Gloucester is the fishing capital of the northeast and there are lots of whale-watching boats going in and out. This is town in which the incidents in the book, "The Perfect Storm" take place. Try Essex for great seafood-WOODMANS!- and antique shopping. There is also a river boat cruise here taking you through the salt marshes of the Essex River, out to the Ocean and back. The last town on Cape Ann that I havent mentioned is Manchester-By-the-Sea. There isn't much going on here, except for a spectacular beach (Singing Beach), but it is real picturesque.
Have a great time in Boston!

Old May 20th, 1998, 06:22 PM
Sue

Hi! Agree with the above suggestions. Newport can be very busy in the summer but well worth the trip. Ocean drive is a great place to have a picnic by the ocean. There are many shops and the mansion tours are enjoyable. One of the best restaurants I have eaten at in the North end of Boston is called Artu's, recommended by a local friend. The food is more nouvelle Italian rather than traditional.
Enjoy your stay!

Old May 23rd, 1998, 04:13 PM
nm

Used to live on the North Shore of Boston... All of the suggestions are great, but no one has menioned Marblehead. I sent some friends there on their way to NH, and they took an extra day on the way back to visit again. It's an easy day trip from your hotel, 12 tough miles to be exact, but you can find 17th century homes that people actually live in, the original Spirit of "76 painting in the town hall, a Yacht harbor with 4500 boats in it and a very picturesque waterfront. Try the Barnicle for lunch or dinner, or Matty's Sail Loft,, but avoid the Landing Restaurant. If you belong to a club in Denver, with a letter of introduction you can get priviledges at any of three beautiful full service Yacht clubs. Excellent food and exceptional locations. Most people are disappointed with Salem. Boston is a great place to visit. I hope you have a great time.