Search

Boston/Plymouth Rock HELP!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2003, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boston/Plymouth Rock HELP!

Hi Everyone -

I'm going to be staying on Arlington St. in the Park Plaza later this week, and I would like to make a trip to see Plymouth Rock, however I'm having a hell of a time finding out where it is and how to get there via the T or Commuter rail - can someone help me? I won't have a rental car... and I'd also like to know how long it will take to get there and how much time I should allow for it. Any help would be appreciated!!

Old Aug 25th, 2003, 10:15 AM
gyppielou

Understand that Plymouth Rock is a joke...has no connection with 1620 really, but is symbolic. You can visit the plantation which is interesting, alhtough once you've seen the first 5 houses, you pretty much get the idea of the conditions, you can also see a replica of the Mayflower. Just understand you are going to see a very very small rock that is really only symbolic. Your concierge may be able to help on buslines or how to reach the tourist area from commuter rail. Good Luck

Old Aug 25th, 2003, 10:23 AM

gyppie is right, Plymouth Rock is a joke. But Mayflower II and Plimoth Plantation are worth visiting, and accessible by taxi from the North Plymouth station on the Commuter Rail. Check their web site, www.plimoth.org.
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 10:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
The plantation is worth the visit but thr Rock is a joke and behind a structure so you can't touch it.
1627 replica village is the plantation.
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 10:25 AM

I've fond memories of visiting Plimoth Plantation and the Mayflower II (a replica of original ship) as a child. Even then, when I leaned over the railing to look down at "the rock", I wondered "huh, is that all there is?".
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 10:57 AM

go to http://www.mbta.com/traveling_t/sche...mmuterrail.asp and find commuter train schedules. There's a commuter train that goes from South Station to Plymouth, called the Plymouth/Kingston Line. One way fare is $5.
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 10:59 AM

LOL, Tess, I aid hte same thing! My parents mumbled some sort of explanation that it used to be bigger, but over the centuries souvenir hunters had chipped off so much of it that the remainder had to be boxed-in to protect it.

FYI, the Pilgrims first stepped ashore in Provincetown, not Plymouth.
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 11:18 AM
gyppielou

thinkpinkpop

now you have the real story, hope you make it out that way and enjoy yourself

Old Aug 25th, 2003, 11:47 AM
cdt

We found ourselves in the Boston area a few months ago with some time to kill and drove to Plymouth.

'Though the Rock isn't much to look at, it's a neat town with some impressive old buildings and a nice waterfront.

Highlights of our visit: fantastic fried clams at the Lobster Hut (on the water, a bit north of the Rock) and walking out on the rather long jetty in the harbor.
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 12:04 PM
mm

>FYI, the Pilgrims first stepped ashore in Provincetown, not Plymouth.

And they backed out of there as fast as they could.

MM
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 01:46 PM

Well, you know they were a pretty judgmental and intolerant bunch.
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 04:51 PM

If one takes a a basic rule that it should never take more time to get to a place than one would want to spend there upon arrival - skip Plymouth Rock. From Boston on commuter rail (or driving) will take over an hour. Hard to imagine one would want to spend more than 60 seconds looking at the stupid rock. (Plimouth Plantation is somewhat interesting.)

If you are looking for some historical thing to do while in Boston, I suggest Freedom Trail in Boston, USS Constitution, Lexington/Concord as alternates.
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 07:55 AM

Highly reccommend Plimoth Planatation and the Mayflower II..the rock is worth about 5 minutes of your time