Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Boston or Cooperstown for Fourth of July?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2004, 07:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello again Fodorites! I am working on the second leg of my husband's and son's summer baseball extravaganza and, once again, need your advice. They'll be in NYC for 3 nights, taking in a Yankees game and a Mets game, and then on to Cooperstown, before landing in Boston to see the Red Sox.

Question No. 1: Which city (Cooperstown or Boston) has more Fourth of July festivities? Put another way, in which of these two cities would YOU rather spend the Fourth of July, and why?

Question No. 2: I've researched Cooperstown lodging here on Fodor's. Do you have any RECENT Cooperstown lodging recommendations?

They'll be staying with family in Boston, so no recommendations needed there.

As always, thanks for your replies!
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 03:26 AM

Can't imagine that a burg like Cooperstown has anything like Boston's week-long Harborfest, with a televised concert and fireworks that usually draws an audience of half a milion. Check the "Daily Events" link in the first site for full details:

http://www.bostonharborfest.com/

http://www.july4th.org/generaleventinfo/
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 04:57 AM

I would definitely pick Boston over Cooperstown. Cooperstown is cute and quaint but it is only a weekend's worth of activities, whereas there is lots to see and do in Boston.

That being said, we recently stayed at the Inn at Cooperstown and loved it. Lovely room, helpful (but not intrusive) staff, good breakfast, close to everything.
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 05:14 AM

We took a similar trip last year. W stayed at Nelson Avenue Pines, a little B&B in Cooperstown. Small and friendly within walking distance of everything. I'm sure you've seen that the Yankees and the Red Sox both offer stadium tours. We did the Red Sox tour - a baseball lover's dream.
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 06:36 AM
cfc

I'd almost think you were pulling our leg about which "city" has more going on for the 4th.

Boston is a large metropolitan area with lots happening in lots of ways (sports, music, art, education, travel, business, tourism, etc.) and a very long history including a big role in our independence. Its 4th of July festivities have been broadcast on networks and PBS for years, including the Boston Pops at the Esplanade, "Tall Ships" in some years, and spectacular fireworks over the river.

Cooperstown is a town whose existence is defined by baseball.

If you're asking which has more going on, it's -- I'm sorry -- a silly question. But then you asked which place we'd rather be for the fourth. _I_ would rather be in Boston and would consider being sent to Cooperstown a penalty, but _you_ (or your family) seem to be baseball "fanatics" (no offense, it's a great thing to share with each other -- very "American") and so it's possible that you might prefer a small town 4th in the home of the Hall of Fame to a city 4th that does, admittedly, involve lots of crowds and lots of planning to get yourself to the right places at the right time.
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 07:07 AM

Cooperstown is a lovely town. Rather small and not a whole lot to do. In the middle of farmland. Beautiful too. But the 4th would be very crowded and a big pain to get anywhere in the town, IMO. Would be more fun to go during a time that is not so popular so you could actually see the Hall of Fame.
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the input. I'll book the guys in Cooperstown for one night, and send them on their way for the 4th.

cfc, I think I've heard of Boston before, but can't recall where. Didn't they have something to do with coffee...or tea?
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 08:17 AM
cfc

;-) Actually, it had something to do with molasses....... (they claim you can still smell it on hot, wet days near the docks).