Search

Boston Long Weekend

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 02:06 PM
Laurie

Boston Long Weekend

We (no kids) are going to be in Boston 4/11 through 4/16. Hoping to do 2-3 days in Boston, then a day trip to a beach town (not for swimming, more for coastal scenery and shopping). Can someone recommend an area near Boston (no more than an hour away) like this for a day trip?

Thanks!

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 02:51 PM
bm

Hi Laurie,
Do you already have accomodations for Boston booked that weekend? If no, do it ASAP as it's Marathon weekend and I imaging hotel availablity will be fairly tight.
For a day trip to a coastal town, I would suggest either Rockport or Newburyport. You can take the MBTA commuter rail there from North Station in Boston. Both are great seaside towns with nice stores. Not sure about Newburyport, but in Rockport, the train station is right in town and is an easy walk down to the waterfront. www.mbta.com

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 03:37 PM
xxx

You'd have to be bonkers to stay in Boston during the Marathon! Head up the coast to Portsmouth for some peace and quiet and backdoor play.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 05:29 PM
Robin

dEAR Laurie, you should definately see the marathon on the 15th/ its easy to see and get to and the crowds clear out easily as the route is so long everyone is spread out.I have lived north of Boston my whole life and suggest Marblehead and Rockport. Also Salem is somewhat interesting although not coastal scenic beautiful. Many movies have been filmed in Gloucestr most recently the Perfect Storm, however i Met Dustin Hoffman in Marblehead last year filming Babies in Black soon to be released. He also filmed with Susan Sarandon in my hoemtown Swampscott a beautiful coastal town. Our towns were chosen for the movie for the charm of an old coastal area. Pleas eat at the Red Rock Bistro on Sunday in Swampscott if you can its highly recommeded by critics. NO more than an hour away also.

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 04:13 PM
Fiona

Laurie,
We have been to Boston & the North Shore many times and love it. Marblehead is beautiful and Swampscott it nice too. We took Rt. 1 up to Rowley. Ipswich is pretty scenic too. We eventually ended up in Freeport ME @ LLBean and that only took about 2 hrs. after we got on 95 in Rowley.

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 04:16 PM
Fiona

I forgot to tell you where we stayed. One time in Lynn @ a B&B called The Diamond District B&B. And in Swampscott @ Capn' Jack's. They both were very nice. Diamond District had a partial view of the ocean and Capn' Jacks is oceanfront. They both have websits. Have fun!

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 12:22 PM
Laurie

Hello all,

Thank you for your great tips for Boston. I've printed out all of your suggestions to take with us.

Fortunately, we have reservations at the Hyatt Regency in Cambridge, which we booked several months ago. Any word on the hotel?

Thanks again for your help!

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 05:03 PM
Leslie

Great hotel. The restaurant was recently remodeled and given rave reviews.

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 06:09 PM
aaaaaaa

Try taking the ferry from Boston to Provincetown. P-town is beautiful in the Spring. You can tak a nice long walk onthe beach & there are lots of shops open even though off-season.