Boston/Logan Airport to Long Wharf

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10th, 2006, 08:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be visiting Boston for 1st time in December. Arriving on a Wednesday, Leaving on Saturday. What is the most pain-free way to get from Logan Int. Airport to my hotel, Marriott Long Wharf (round trip)? I am on a budget traveling with a companion. Thank you!
Old Nov 11th, 2006, 02:42 AM

pain-free adn budget are rarely the same - and I am wondering if your budget is so tight how you ended up at Marriott Long Wharf (good choice - nice hotel)

There is a commuter boat from Logan to Long Wharf - schedules are on MBTA.com. I have never taken it so I do not know if it qualifies as pain free.
Old Nov 11th, 2006, 03:15 AM

For heavens sake...just swim across the harbor!! Seriously, a cab ride through the tunnel will take you right there...From the hotel you can most likely see the planes coming and going...it's that close. Gail is right.. there is a water shuttle.
Old Nov 11th, 2006, 03:24 AM

You can take a bus shuttle to the T (subway) stop apx 4 minutes and the T to the Mariott via the Aquarium stop apx 2 minutes. The T stop is literaly at the front door of the Marriott. It will probably cost you $2 each. It will be good to familiarize yourself with the T as from your hotel it will be easy to reach the Beacon Hill (historic area) Downtown Crossing (financial area) and Back Bay (shopping area). The average walker could walk to all but Back Bay - in Dec. If you are a big walking fan you could walk to Back Bay.

The T will be faster than the boat or a cab most likely. I've used the T coming and going to the airport. The boat and waiting for the boat will be cold in Dec.

Enjoy your visit to Boston!

http://www.mbta.com/traveling_t/sche...y_blueline.asp
Old Nov 11th, 2006, 03:55 AM

I agree, take the subway just two stops from Airport to Aquarium. The shuttle bus from the terminal to the "Airport" subway station is free, and subway fare is $1.25 but due to rise in January. Both run every 5 - 10 minutes, and will be much more comfortable in December.
Old Nov 11th, 2006, 04:25 AM
Original Poster

Exactly what I needed, thank you! To answer your question about the room at the Long Wharf, I researched it and decided it was the best location as my companion is an Italian food freak, so it seemed a place we could walk to certain restaurants and for gelato, etc. Anyway, companion is senior citizen plus he's paying, so that's pain free enough for me...got a rate of $178 each night...thanks again!
Old Nov 11th, 2006, 05:42 AM
sistahlou

I think the T is a great. Taxies and car service are both a bit expensive with the tolls and surcharges, and the fact that some of the roads are still closed, so the route may not always be direct.... so why not get local?!

Old Nov 11th, 2006, 09:13 AM

That's a good rate for Marriott - hope you like it. If you decide to take ParrottMom's recommendation and swim please post in advance so we can take photos.
Old Nov 11th, 2006, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

I am soooo excited reading all the Boston posts and can't wait to get there...one more thing, should I wear or bring boots? Does it get THAT cold or is it that much more windy than southern NJ where I'm from? I plan to wear pants anyway....
Old Nov 11th, 2006, 11:02 AM
sistahlou

Re: Boots, Only need them when there is a storm and the sidewalks and streets are wet and slushy. I'd chekc the weather report before heading to the airport.

Old Nov 11th, 2006, 11:33 AM

One of the things I'll NEVER understand is that people arriving in Boston for a vacation/business trip and want to save a few pennies and take the MBTA instead of grabbing a cab.. You will love the North End.. be sure you get to Mike's Pastry and Modern Pastry for the best in the world...As for restaurants..go to www.chowhound.com and check with the people on the Boston board. You are also within walking distance to Chinatown for dimsum...the Barking Crab and the Quincy Market..lots of kiosks inside with really good food..As for the weather.. your guess is as good as ours..but your in Boston and the weather will definetely be different near the water,
Old Nov 11th, 2006, 03:05 PM

Some weather perspective, as I grew up in NJ and have lived in Boston area for over 25 years.

It feels a lot colder here, and the wind can be raw and bone-chilling, especially when it funnels between buildings.

Check the weather report right before you leave, even though its reliability can be poor a far as boots are concerned. We could get plowable snow, even during early Dec and after that curbs are slushy and wet - you don't need to bring mountain boots, just something waterproof to your ankle should do it.

Definitely a warm hat and gloves - one thing about Boston is comfort in winter is more important than fashion.

If the commuter boat is not a good option because of schedule and weather, I agree with ParrotMom that you should take a cab - I would not want to be hauling a suitcase thru other mbta connections, especially with "senior citizen"
Old Nov 12th, 2006, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies, I think those of you who commented about the cab are probably right since I don't think it's that long of a ride anyway...I did chuckle a bit about the "senior" comment as my man who is 65 would probably take issue about his ability to get around...he is in better shape than most men my age (I'm 52), exercises regularly, never drinks or smokes, not on one bit of medication, so I don't think that'll be a problem...thanks again!
Old Nov 12th, 2006, 05:45 PM

Ordinarily I would agree with "Parrotmom" about taxi..but the route described by "moonriver" is SO easy.! and economical..
I am a female senior citizen, travel solo and had no trouble. I felt proud that I managed so well, especially after a "red eye' from California...
Go for it
Old Nov 12th, 2006, 06:06 PM

It isn't just a few pennies you'll save on the T... I take it from Logan to the Hotel Commonwealth and it is $1.25 vs around $30.

Yes, there is a change of trains, and it wouldn't work if I traveled with a ton of stuff, but I enjoy the T. It puts me in a "Boston" mood right away!
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 09:06 PM

Hi Sillygirl, Just wanted to give you the name of a restaurant I love that I think you can walk to. Everyone I've gone with loves their mushroom soup (I don't eat mushrooms, so I wouldn't know.)Check out http://www.seldelaterre.com/ it's right near to the aquarium if that interests you.
Have fun in Boston!
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 09:14 PM

good poster from above; but. just go walk down Hanover street and smell- you will find a 2nd or 3rd generation italia cooking for you- or maybe all 7 of them
Old Nov 14th, 2006, 08:20 AM

Boston and many other large cities have good transportation systems that move thousands or even millions of passengers every day economically and with few incidents.

Similarly to Parrotmom, one of the things I'll NEVER understand is people who want me to spend more than I need to for basic needs, like getting around.

I suppose if you must take public transit most days, you'll not like to use it on a vacation trip as well, but when the subway is a novelty to be used for a few days, then why not use it? I'd rather spend my dollars on restaurants, attractions, or my next trip than pay for a taxi, especially if the public transit gets me places faster. I guess to each, their own.
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 05:30 AM

I did the bus shuttle to the T to Aquarium last year when I was picking someone up at the airport and had a few hours to kill. As a former Bostonian, I was shocked at the speed and ease. I parked at the airport, hopped on the bus to the T and was on Long Wharf in less than 5 minutes!

We then had a lovely morning on the waterfront and at Haymarket Square. A short ride and we were back at the airport in plenty of time.

This was so quick and the parking so cheap that I've considered the "parking at the airport" idea as a good parking/transportation solution for spending a day in Boston when I have no need to be at the airport! Weird, but convenient!
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

My friend and I will probably wind up taking the shuttle to the "T" as we will only have one bag each and neither of us usually have trouble getting around...For me it would be fun and different and the nerd I'm with will be so happy I've taken the more economical route, lol! Thanks for the Italian restaurant suggestion and any others that have that "old, traditional" feeling. We are not fancy people and would like to get the home flavor of Boston...want to be where the locals are...thanks. P.S. I just got all my Boston info in the mail with some great maps. What was your favorite walking tour-which company-should we do any tours by bus or water? Also, I got tickets for the Frank Santos hypnotist show at the Comedy Connection, has anyone seen that show? Again, thanks for any replies.