Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

BOSTON IN MID-AUGUST ~ ANY IDEAS OR SUGGESTIONS? I REALLY NEED IT!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 1998, 01:26 PM
J.D.

The topic is pretty much self-explanatory. Please give me as much help as you can. Thank you!

Old Jul 10th, 1998, 05:15 AM
Charlene Richard

Check out this weeks hosted forum on Boston. Lots of good ideas.

Old Jul 10th, 1998, 09:12 AM
Kat

Boston is wonderful! I'm certain you'll enjoy the city although it likely will be warm. My favorite places in Boston are:

Museum of Fine Arts (MFA -- try to go twice and do just a couple of hours each time so you don't get over-cultured).

Elizabeth Gardener Museum -- an unusual, eclectic and very enjoyable art museum. In the do-not-miss category.

Favorite restaurant: Ajourd'hui in the Four Seasons.

Favorite hotels: Ritz Carlton, Four Seasons, Westin Copley Place

If technology is of interest, visit The Computer Museum.

Go over to Cambridge and walk around Harvard; visit the many bookshops in the area.

The shops on Newberry Street are fun.

Old Jul 10th, 1998, 12:49 PM
Paul Rabe

First rule of Boston: DON'T DRIVE A CAR! The streets were designed 300 years ago, the drivers are all maniacs, and you'll never find a parking place or a lot that doesn't gouge. There is NO place in Boston that you can get to faster with a car than with public transit and walking.

Suggestion on budget place to stay: Motel Six in Braintree. A ten minute walk to the 'T' Station, then ride 30 minutes and you're downtown! A family restaurant is adjacent and a large grocery store is a five minute drive away. Not a lot of luxury, but half the cost and parking is free!

Suggestions to see: the places just listed, MIT Museum, Freedom Trail, Mapparium at the Christian Science Center, Faneiul Marketplace, Filenes (UNLESS it's the day of wedding dress sale!), Copley Square, Hancock Tower (on a clear day), Kennedy Museum.

Old Jul 11th, 1998, 08:49 AM
Linda

We rented a car & drove to Plymouth Rock, the Cape & Martha's Vineyard, & Newport, Rhode Island. It is an easy one-day drive. Also, go north to Freeport, Maine for a small town full of very nice Discount Stores--the shops are the town & LL Beans Home. On the way, you can travel the coast of Maine. Of course, there is Waldon's Pond, Lexington & Concord, Salem, etc., nearby. If you can walk a lot, take the walking tour on the sidewalk in Boston.