Reload this Page >

Boston in March - Suggestions for indoor activities

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 11:12 AM
Michele

I'll be in Boston at the end of March. I know Boston is a "walking city", but it looks like it'll still be cold and wet. I'll be visiting for 3 days - and have never been to the area. Any suggestions for sights to see while avoiding the cold weather?

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 11:47 AM
Karen

Many people enjoy the "duck tour". It is a guided tour in a strange looking vehicle - it drives around the city then drives right into the Charles River to show the sights from the water. It is a tour bus/boat. I know, sounds bizarre but is really quite fun and a good way to see a lot (since you've never been). I'd suggest dressing warmly and walking the city anyway. Also, sometimes the temps can really warm up that last week of March.

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 11:55 AM
dougd

Don't let the weather scare you! Boston weather at the end of March can be anything from 10 with snow, to 60 and sunny. Some indoor ideas: The Prudential observatory, which has a fabulous view of the entire Boston area, along with lots of interesting exhibits and Boston info. The Museum of Fine Arts and the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum are wonderful if you are an art buff. The New England Aquarium and the Museum of science are worth a visit, especially if there are any children with you. The Fanuel Hall - Quincy market area is great rain or shine, but espcially when the weather is nice. Top it off with a walk over to the North End for a great Italian dinner!

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 01:24 PM
Sara

The New England Spring Flower Show will be taking place at the Bayside Exposition and Conference Center March 17 - 25. I don't know if you'll be in Boston before it ends, but if it fits your schedule, it's worth a visit. The beautiful garden exhibits will lift your spirits and give you a taste of spring. Go to <www.masshort.org> for more info.

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 03:10 PM
Thyra

We are also going to to be in Boston March 10-12 and I was wondering the same thing as Michele.. Just an FYI, I looked up the Duck Tours online
www.bostonducktours.com and their web site said they were closed for the season and the tours would resume on April 7th... So do the natives think it will be ok for walking... even if we're from So. Cal and have really REALLY thin blood????

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 03:20 PM
Parrot Mom

Who is kidding who...it's darn cold here...we have just gotten over one big snow storm (24inches where I live) and another one coming tomorrow night.. You can do the museums..but you can also take a Trolley Tour of Boston.. Dame Edna is a MUST SEE at the Wilbur, Phantom is here, Blue Man and that's off the top of my snow tired head.. I think the Odessey maybe doing Boston harbor tours..a little pricey, but an elegant way to see Boston Harbor and have a jazz lunch... And of course the favorite tourist place..Quincy Market..surely it can't be too crowded with this weather..you can try to eat your way through.. Do not try to drive around Boston...trust me.. what with the Big Dig and the snow banks (was into Boston yesterday) you'll give up..

Old Mar 9th, 2001, 06:06 AM
Ann

I'm trying to figure out what the real issue is here. Are you leary of the temperature or the percipitation? Both are totally variable, but can be dealt with. If it's temp that worries you, dress in layers. It could be freezing or balmy in late March. Layers are the way to handle that. If it's the snow, Boston has done an amazing job of clearing it away, especially this time. Bring along some good walking shoes, possibly waterproof, and walking around shouldn't be too difficult either.

All the other posts on what to see are perfect. You can take a taxi to the Museum of Fine Arts and spend the whole day there, indoors. We have plenty to do if it's just the cold air that worries you. We all hope Boston warms up by the end of March!

Old Mar 9th, 2001, 08:41 AM
Thyra

Sorry to sort of jump into this post but I didn't think this question was worthy of it's own thread. I am going on the assumption that we will still be able to buy winter gear in Boson/NYC. Here in L.A. it's all bikini's and spring clothing. We just need gloves and scarves and don't want to pay through the nose... ridiculous question I know but does anyone have a tip on inexpensive winter gear???

Old Mar 9th, 2001, 09:08 AM
betsy

Try www.sierratradingpost.com
www.rei.com

Old Mar 9th, 2001, 09:43 AM
Parrot Mom

All the stores have winter items..but for a good price go to Marshall's on Boylston Street or Filenes Basement on Washington Street...It maybe spring where you are, but it's definetely muffler and boot weather here.. There maybe a TJ Maxx on Washington Street too.... You other Bostonians haven't been to downtown Boston this week..I have and there are piles of snow yet to be removed..and in the South End there are cars that won't be seen until May or June...

Old Mar 9th, 2001, 09:45 AM
BETH

Thrya, check out Lands End or LLBean. I'm sure you could also buy some here. Probably your best bet would be the infamous Filene's Basement, since maybe you'll want to shop there anyways. And they should have very good prices on winter wear in March.

Old Mar 10th, 2001, 02:36 AM
Gail

Bring hip waders! Seriously, bring waterproof footwear. Right now there is over 2 -3 feet of snow on the ground and this will melt over the next few weeks to a soggy mess that will take weeks to clear. In Harvard Square (Cambrige - just over the river - take bus or MBTA) there is a ticket booth that sells same day theatre/arts tickets for about 1/2 price. Go to the top of Prudential Tower or Hancock Tower and look out. Aquarium is good, Museum of Science also. You didn't ask, but try not the drive in the city. The "Big Dig" is this massive roads project and maps no longer are reliable - I have lived here for 20 years and this is making travel by car an adventure.