Boston Hotels for 12 yr old.

Nov 20th, 2007, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

Boston Hotels for 12 yr old.

Since so many of you have had Boston hotel experiences I would like some advice. Taking 12 year old to Boston this summer, and want some suggestions on hotels. Don't need one with lots of amenities, and need to be reasonable about price. Suggestions?

Thanks
Nov 20th, 2007, 02:03 PM
TKT

First, do you want to stay right in the city? and a related question, what is your price range? Boston prices may shock you.
Nov 20th, 2007, 02:58 PM

Sticker shock for sure...I've been trying for days to Priceline a hotel for next week (4*, preferably downtown). Got up to $225 with no bites and finally took the airport Hilton at their "regular" PL rate. I'd guess it's just a bad week, as betterbidding.com suggests you can usually do better than that.
Nov 20th, 2007, 07:12 PM

I'm sure you can find others, but here are a few threads I bookmarked for info about affordable Boston hotels, that might have some info to steer you in some directions:

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=35088611

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=35015737

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34838343

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...d=1&tid=428765
Nov 20th, 2007, 07:29 PM

I just stayed at the Harborside Inn on State St. a couple of weeks ago and loved it, for location, amenities and price. It is across the street from Fanuiel Hall and the Aquarium. Perfect location for siteseeing.

The room was good size and a very comfortable bed. The building is a rennovated wharehouse so some interesting architectural details.

Have fun and enjoy Boston.
Nov 21st, 2007, 03:34 AM
Original Poster

Since we will be relying on public transportation from airport and to sites of interest - we would like something convenient to transportation. We usually go to Chicago, so somewhat adjusted to city hotel prices. Will try some of the suggested web sites.
Nov 21st, 2007, 04:13 AM

The blue line from Logan Airport, stops right in FRONT of the Harborside Inn, so it's very convenient, and walking to all the attractions is very easy from this hotel.
Nov 21st, 2007, 06:14 AM

There's tons of hotels close to the T. What's your price range?
Nov 21st, 2007, 06:42 AM

We took my kids (much younger then 12) a few years ago to Boston for 4th of July. We stayed at the
Parker House
http://www.omnihotels.com/FindAHotel...rkerHouse.aspx
We found a special rate on a Boston tourism website.
It was great. We took a cab from Logan and we walked everywhere!!! We did take the T to Cambridge.
The hotel is close to Quincy Market, the Commons, & many historic places. 4th of July was amazing with the Pops and the fireworks!!
Nov 21st, 2007, 07:34 AM

While I usually don't recommend it the Sheraton Prudential Center might work out well with a 12 yo. It has a very nice pool area and is attached to a shopping mall in the middle of the Back Bay, so close to lots of interesting things. Just ask for a recently renovated room
Nov 21st, 2007, 07:50 AM
TahitiTams

I got a great deal on Expedia this last September..
Westin Boston Waterfront for $229 a night and the hotel is a year old and it's across from the T and 10 minute walk to downtown..I loved this hotel..

Nov 21st, 2007, 08:38 AM

bennie had a good thought about the pool, for cooling down or taking a break - which reminded me our cousins from LA stayed at the Radisson this past summer and loved the hotel and location on Charles St an easy stroll to Boston Common, downtown, all the sites and transporation.

In the above links I listed, there was one with suggestions of lodging close to T's -

stay in city if you can - if you don't see a deal now on a hotel web site, call and ask for it - I just did this with a hotel for Jan in NYC b/c the special on the internet wasn't listed yet and they were accomodating-sometimes all you have to do is call and ask.
Nov 25th, 2007, 11:34 AM

I just stayed at The Kendall Hotel in Cambridge (www.kendallhotel.com) with three teen boys and we all loved it. Take a look at it. It ran about $150 a night which included a hot buffet breakfast and all taxes - not bad. It was half a block to the Kendal Square T stop so getting everywhere by subway was easy.

I have also stayed at the Newbury Guset House which is actually a small hotel in the back bay area that runs about $135 - 165 a night with breakfast, although not quite as good a one as the Kendall. I do not know if it has air conditioning, or if you would need it then, but my son loved the place and especially loved the location in the heart of Newbury Street not far from the Prudential Center.