Search

Boston hotels??

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2004, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boston hotels??

Hubby and I are planning a trip to Boston in two weeks. We will not have a car, what areas should we stay in? What hotels should we stay in. We are looking for a romantic upscale hotel.

What about restaurants and sightseeing? We are in our early 30's.

Thank you-
Old May 20th, 2004, 07:54 AM

We always stay in the Sheraton adjoining the Prudential Centre. It's a great location for shops and restaurants as it's actually in the mall. It's not exactly a romantic hotel so maybe try the Lenox? It's just down the road and looks lovely. Again it's close to shops, Newbury Street, restaurants. Try Sonsie for dinner on Newbury, it's great. As for sightseeing, walk down Boylston into the park and across to Beacon Hill, have lunch there and wander around the lovely streets and window shop. Enjoy!
Old May 20th, 2004, 08:01 AM

One of my favorite hotels is the Westin in Copley Square. It is in the same area that "CatsEyes" mentioned above. Copley Square (the BackBay area) is beautiful with a lot going on. It is about a $25 cab ride from Logan Airport. Enjoy!
Old May 20th, 2004, 08:48 AM

The Elliot in the Back Bay always gets raves a s one of the more romantic hotels in Boston.

My personal favorite is the Boston Harbor Hotel. The harbor view rooms are beautiful, and the hotel is very upscale. The location is perhaps not as convenient as staying somewhere in the Back Bay, but Boston is small, so it really doesn't matter.

Hard to advise about sightseeing without some idea of your interests. Musuems, freedom trail, aquarium, wandering in the North end, the USS Constitution, Boston Pops at Symphony hall, shopping, what are you looking for?

Same with restaurants, what are you after? Inexepensive, expensive? Seafood? Ethnic? trendy? adventuresome? classic? There are loads of good restaurants in the city. There have been many mentioned on earlier threads. Also you can get reviews and advice on the Chowhound website.
Old May 20th, 2004, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

I just put a hold on the Seaport Hotel in the Back Bay. Does anyone know anything about that?

How much would it be for a taxi to Center City and Cambridge?

What restaurants are around there? We would prefer trendy restaurants.

Thank you-
Old May 20th, 2004, 01:18 PM

I'm pretty sure that the Seaport hotel in not in the Back Bay. It is located the the world trade center a few blocks south of South Station. It is a nice hotel, but not as centrally located as Back Bay.
Old May 20th, 2004, 01:35 PM

As far restaurants, eat at Durgis Park downtown in Faneuil Hall. It's a unique place that is as old as the City itself.
Old May 20th, 2004, 01:35 PM

As for as I should have said, we need edit buttons on this board.
Old May 20th, 2004, 01:42 PM

Honestly, try the Ritz. Sometimes they have great rates and the location is SUPERB. You must eat in the North End. I used to live in Boston for 7 years. Moved away a few years ago. I lived in Beacon Hill and Back Bay. My husband and I are 32 and 35. There is a nice little romantic hotel in Fanueil Hall. The name has changed several times and now I forget it. It is NOT the Marriott one, though. Try them, too. Also, try the one that is in the Back Bay called 29 or something wiht a number in it. Boutique-ish and upscale from what I hear. My family always stayed at the Ritz, but have stayed in many other places in the city when it was booked. I woudl not stay at Omni Parker House unless the rooms have recently been redone. I think Copley Plaza is old and dumpy. Four Seasons is nice and right by Hermes near the Garden...just down the street from Ritz and newbury. Whatever you do - have dinner in the North End. You won't regret it. Maurizio's is fabulous. Must have a reservation. Place is VERY small. Enjoy. You will love the city.
Old May 20th, 2004, 02:59 PM

I recommed buying a Zagat's guide to Boston restaurants, or getting from the library. Lots of good restaurants in Boston. Durgin Park was mentioned earlier. It is famous for its sassy service and old time Boston atmosphere, but the food is downright awful, no longer worth a visit.

The Four Seasons Hotel is upscale and romantic. There are many others. The Seaport is a nice hotel, but cabs in Boston are very expensive. The Charles Hotel in Cambridge is also very nice.
Old May 20th, 2004, 05:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Trendy restos in Cambridge, The Rialto, Oleana,
Upstairs in the Square, The Harvest.
BackBay, Stephanies,(Newbury) Troquet, (Boyslston)Hamersly, Aquitane, Perlix, Butcher Shop, Icarus(south end)
Forgot the tapas on Newbury, Tapeo's
Old May 20th, 2004, 05:46 PM

P.S, Down Town, the venerable "Locke-OBer's."Once women where not allowed downstairs where the bar/dining is.except for New Years'eve but one year a few woman liberators shackled themslves to the bar in protest.
And voila, I go there!
Old May 20th, 2004, 05:56 PM

The Seaport hotel isn't near the downtown, but it's a pretty location. Try phantomgourment.com for restaurant ideas. You can type in "romantic".
Old May 20th, 2004, 06:02 PM

chicgal, glad you like our city. Have you tried the Armani cafe , great for people watching. And the resto in my fav shop, Louis, on Berkely between Boylston and Newbury.
Old May 21st, 2004, 06:08 PM

The Seaport Hotel is not near anything - no shops, no restaurants, etc. You will take a cab everywhere. Reconsider taking advantage of a walking location in the midst of all the city has to offer. I suggest the Elliot Suites Hotel, Nine Zero, Beacon XV, or The Charles Street Inn.

A restaurant that is high on everyone's list is Via Matta. The North End for Italian is also something you should do. If you give more details on the kind of place, price range, food, you are looking for I could be more helpful.
Old May 22nd, 2004, 10:41 AM

If price is no object, definitely Nine Zero or XV Beacon and Via Matta restaurant.
Old May 22nd, 2004, 11:02 AM
gyppielou

luvthebeach, check rates on quickbook and hotels.com and check back with a few ideas in your price range. Also many people like Seaport this time of year. Westin's Heavenly Bed is great if you don't mind a chain hotel. Ritz, 4S and Copley and Boston Harbor fit the romantic part, Do a Duck Tour, walk the Charles, have a slice at Upper Crust on Charles Street, even a drink at LockeOber is a treat - great atmosphere. A night in the northend, and a night in the southend. Good luck