Boston hotel suggestions

Jan 28th, 2009, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Boston hotel suggestions

My wife and I are planning to visit Boston for the first time later this year (Aug/Sep).

There are so many hotel options that I don't even know where to start. We tend to use the hotel as a place to relax at the end of the day and to sleep, so we don't need a fancy lobby, or concierge, or a nice bar, or any of those things. We also don't mind riding the T into the city each day, as we tend to not go back to the hotel during the day. So anything within a 20-30 minute T ride to the big destinations is fine.

Ideally I'd like to stay under $200/night, but would go slightly over if it means an included breakfast, or it's in a good area (meaning that there are places to eat and things to do within walking distance).

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!
Jan 28th, 2009, 08:08 AM
yk

Will you have a car? (I recommend NO car.)

While you don't mind staying outside of the city, I think you should be able to find something within your budget in the city. I'd look into hotels in Back Bay, downtown, Financial District.

Lots of people like the John Jeffries B&B.
Jan 28th, 2009, 08:09 AM

For your situation, I'd recommend using Priceline to bid on in-town zones; you'll get a hotel that meets your very basic requirements, and pay less than the regular rates for hotels farther out.
Jan 28th, 2009, 08:14 AM
yk

I forgot to mention, if you're willing, you should be able to get a decent 4* hotel through Priceline bidding.

Stick with 2 zones only:
1) Copley Square - Theatre District
2) Quincy Market - Faneuil Hall - Financial District

If you're not familiar with Priceline bidding, go to biddingfortravel.com and study it.
Jan 28th, 2009, 08:43 AM

I usually use Priceline for Boston, but sometimes Hotwire. Best deals are achieved by studying/watching Biddingfortravel.com and Betterbidding.com

Agree that it's much better to stay in the city than commute, especially if the weather is hot and sunny.

Typically, rates are lower in August than September (fall foliage rates though no foliage yet, parents of students returning to college, etc. But, there will probably be great deals this year due to the dismal economy and so many new hotels.

Also agree that Copley Square or Quincy Market/Financial/Faneuil Hall area are most preferable. But, if bookings are down and you can score a terrific rate in the Waterfront/Convention center area, though not quite as convenient, it's a nice area and the savings would more than overcome some extra walking or a few taxi fares.

If you shop rates, you'll find that, booking conventionally, won't save you much, if anything, within a 20-30 minute T ride.

Be very careful to check hotel locations/address on a map - MANY hotels, particularly those in the big chains, have Boston in the name, but are an inconvenient commute, and not necessarily in a favorable area, and some have several locations in the area so it gets confusing.
Jan 29th, 2009, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice!

To answer yk, no we won't have a car. We're planning on taking Amtrak up from Lancaster, PA (train to Philly, then train up to Boston).

The financial district sounds like it won't have much open around it on the weekends. True/false?

The John Jeffries House looks very nice, and the rates are very reasonable. It looks like a fantastic location too.

I've never "Pricelined" before, but I understand how it works. I'll check out the websites mentioned.

Finally, I guess is how long should we stay to have enough time to do all the normal tourist things? Bear in mind that it will take most of a day to get there and back on Amtrak. After doing some reading it sounds like 5 days is plenty of time. Does that sound right?
Jan 29th, 2009, 07:56 AM
yk

Right in the smack of Financial District can be a bit quiet at night, but the hotels *there* are usually closer to the water, ie, Fanueil Hall neighborhood. Even if it's in the Financial District, Boston is so small that it's a short walk or a stop on the subway.

5 days is plenty for Boston, esp if you're not planning to go out of town.

Seeing the historic sights will take 2 days at a leisure pace. 1 day for Cambridge. 1 day for art museums. Then 1 day for whatever else interests you (eg, shopping, or visit to Quincy for John Adams site, or JFK Library/Museum, or even a boat ride out to the Boston Harbor islands.)

I have compiled a list of free (or discounted) things to do in boston with some useful websites:
http://www.barbican.org.uk/theatre
Jan 29th, 2009, 07:57 AM
yk

OOoppps. Sorry about the incorrect link above. It should be:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=35179098