Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Boston Hotel Choices. Which one is preferable?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 01:55 PM
Sandy

I have a rate of $159.00 per night at the Lenox. I know the hotel has scaffolding around the outside and was told the netting "might" be off by the time we arrive (early Sept.). The rate is for the room only.
The Eliot has a deal for $207.00 per night for a 1BR suite with a King or 2 Dbls. And the Marriott Copley Place has a rate of $169.00 that includes breakfast for 2 adults and 2 kids. (Which is what our party is). Is the Lenox still the way to go? I wondered if it was worth the extra money to get the 1 BR at the Eliot. Is one location better than another? Would love some feedback, as this is our first trip to Boston. Thanks.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 03:07 PM
Leslie

Go with the Marriott Copley Place -- breakfast is worth at least $30. The hotel is great, and is in a great location. Also, I believe that there's a workout room at the Marriott that you and your family would be able to use at no charge.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 07:10 PM
Mina

I can't say anything about the other two...but I always stay at the Lenox. (I've stayed at the Fairmont Copley as well, but the rooms are such a crapshoot!) I've stayed there with the scaffolding and without (it seems it will never come off!) and don't notice the difference, to be honest with you. But then again, I'm not the most observant person.

The location is great, and the beds are wonderful. You have a very good rate. I'm staying there again shortly, and with our corporate discount (a big player in Boston) our rate is $194. I would choose the Lenox.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 10:27 AM
steve

The Eliot is snooty snooty snooty. The Lenox has a great location. The Marriott sounds like the best chouce. I found the Colonnade $165 per night 1br king. Also good location.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 11:03 AM
Donna

It would be impossible not to notice the scaffolding all around the Lenox Hotel, as last weekend it was completely covered with white plastic as well. "Might" most likely means "NO". I'd go with the Marriott Copley Place. Whatever you do, be sure to see the Concierge first thing about Duck Tour tickets.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 11:20 AM
Mina

It's definitely impossible not to notice it, from the outside. But I've never noticed it from the inside...last I was there, there was no obstruction of my view. Like I said, it's been there for what seems like forever. Who knows when it's coming off.

I'll be there in a couple of weeks, and am staying at the Lenox. I'll let you know if the scaffolding is a nuisance. It does make the hotel look ugly though!

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 05:58 AM
TeeCee

Hi Sandy, Especially with kids, I would choose the Marriott Copley Place. This is an excellent location (with nice rooms) connected to two malls with tons of food and entertainment possibilities. (Copley and the Prudential.) If the weather is poor you can cover alot of ground indoors and then be just a quick walk to Newbury or out on Copley Square with the kids! (Also close to T-stops.)
Best wishes, TTC

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 01:23 PM
Mina

Sandy, I don't know if you've booked your hotel yet, but I thought I'd give you an update on the Lenox.

I'm here now, and as Donna said, the two sides facing the street are covered in white plastic. My colleague's room is on that side...she can't see out, obviously. The plastic wasn't here the last time I visited, and the place looks awful.

I have a room that's not covered, and has a view of the street in the distance. Thank god. I asked for the latest update on when all this is coming down...they said late august, early sept now.

They do the work between 9 and 5, so if you're going to lounge around, it's noisy. As much as I love this hotel (and still think it's worth it), if it's your first time, you may want to wait until the work is done.