Search

BOston for 3 days with 7 year old

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2018, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BOston for 3 days with 7 year old

Hi there..
We are traveling to Boston at the first of August with our 7 year old. Looking for some itinerary help. We are arriving on a Friday morning and staying at the Doubletree near Tufts ( hotel is decided due to husbands work). We will have the remainder of the day on a Friday, all day Saturday , and all day Sunday. Things we know we want to do are Duck Boat tour, Freedom TRail, Aquarium, Swan boats, Skywalk, seeing Fenway, and possibly see Cambridge. Looking for a little help in planning out the itinerary. Also, thinking about getting a Go Boston card. Are the freedom trail guided tours worth it? I read where they don’t go into the sites. Isn’t that something we would want to do? We are not opposed to taking the T, actually 7 year old wants to. Also looking for restaurant recommendations from lunch to nice dinnners. Celebrating husbands bday up there so a nice restaurant would be good. 7 year old is mature for his age and able to handle nice restaurants. Thanks for any and all help!
Old Jul 12th, 2018, 04:09 AM

I have boys around the same age. Here's what they enjoy:
1. Duck Boat tours
2. Walking around the north end and eating.
3. The Freedom Trail. We still haven't made it to the USS Consitution.
4. Visiting the State House
5. The Museum of Science
6. Just wandering and exploring. They also enjoy playing in the fountains on the Rose Kennedy Greenway.

The aquarium is just okay. I wouldn't put it at the top of my list. You could try and catch a Red Sox game. You can also take a boat out to the islands. Boston Harbor Islands National & State Park
Old Jul 12th, 2018, 04:16 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Do the Freedom Trail yourseleces not ona ghided tour. Download the National Park app for the Freedom Trail, very helpful.
Old Jul 13th, 2018, 03:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the suggestions. We didn’t have the Museum of Science on the list but can take off Aquarium. I generally like just wandering and exploring but’s hubby tends to like to have a plan. Try to balance the both. Any restaurant suggestions you have would be appreciated. Any that take reservations is a bonus! Thanks again.
Old Jul 13th, 2018, 03:57 AM
Original Poster

Great. That’s exactly what I needed to know!
Old Jul 13th, 2018, 06:05 AM

There's also a Children's Museum in Boston. Haven't been, as it's not the type of attraction that interests me, so can't give further details.

I thought the Aquarium was fine. It is expensive, though.

Avoid the Franklin Park Zoo, which is the worst such attraction I've ever seen and located in a rough area of town.

The kids may also like the Museum of Comparative Zoology over at Harvard. Loads of fossils, stuffed animals and birds, and a huge and realistic looking collection of glass flowers.

Last edited by bachslunch; Jul 13th, 2018 at 06:09 AM.
Old Jul 13th, 2018, 07:28 AM

Other things your son might enjoy are the Mapparium and the Boston Tea Party ship and Museum.

I have never taken a Freedom Trail tour but would not be inclined to do this as you can probably pick different sites to concentrate on yourself. You won't have time to do everything and I would think it is better to do a few areas/subjects in depth. For example, you could tell your son about Paul Revere's ride and go into the Paul Revere house and the old North Church

If you don't have a Chinatown where you live, your son might enjoy seeing the one in Boston.

If your son read Make Way for Ducklings, he might want to see the statues in the Public Garden.

Boston is a great city for walking!
Old Jul 13th, 2018, 10:21 AM

Harvard's museum of natural history is excellent too!
Old Jul 15th, 2018, 12:13 PM

If you're not from somewhere near an ocean, consider a whale watch -- the NE Aquarium has great ones. Make sure you see the duckling statues from Make Way for Ducklings when you go on the Swan Boats. Rent some Blue Bikes and take a ride down the Charles River. For that matter, rent kayaks and paddle around the Charles. Depending on your kid's museum tolerance, the Isabella Stewart Gardner is not to be missed.
Old Jul 15th, 2018, 12:14 PM

Old North Church tour is surprisingly interesting.