Boston-End of Sept/early Oct.

Old Jun 26th, 1999, 04:02 AM
Portia

Boston-End of Sept/early Oct.

Would this be a good time to go to Boston to see the leaves turn? Would they have already peaked this year, end of September - (30th) and the first week in October or is it better to go after the 1st week of October?

Is it cold then? This is my first time seeing the leaves turn and I can't wait. - or at least seeing them when they are the pretty orange/yellow colors.

Old Jun 26th, 1999, 05:27 AM
Howard

You're better off going to the Berkshires in Western Massachusetts or to Vermont for foliage viewing. The first two weeks of October are best. Here are some "foliage" phone numbers and websites from last year (some may not be in operation yet):
Vermont: 800-837-6668; website: www.travel-vermont.com
Massachusetts: 800-227-6277; website: mass-vacation.com

Old Jun 26th, 1999, 05:33 AM
Howard

P.S.: Make hotel/B&B reservations soon. The area fills up during foliage season.

Old Jun 26th, 1999, 05:46 PM
Parrot Mom

Because of the drought we are having there is no way to guess when the foliage is going to be at it's peak... My opnion would be the beginning of October AND MAKE YOUR RESERVATIONS NOW.... WE HAVE LOTS OF LEAF PEEPERS...

Old Jun 26th, 1999, 07:16 PM
Sara

Right around Columbus Day weekend is usually when the leaves are peaking in the Boston area. They start a week or more earlier in the Western Berkshires and farther North, but there's usually not really much to see before the beginning of October.

Old Jun 27th, 1999, 09:51 AM
Kara

My recommendation is Woodstock, VT. There are several very nice b&bs there. I stayed at the Woodstock Inn. But, the others are correct, book early because leaf peepers take the less expensive rooms quickly.

Restaurants in Woodstock are the one at the Inn, Simon Pearce (part of a pottery factory).

Old Jun 30th, 1999, 09:47 AM
Portia

hOW MANY miles from Boston to those areas of Vermont? That is a thought;driving up there instead.

Old Jun 30th, 1999, 10:50 AM
Deb

we went this EXACT week about 7 yrs ago. my mother and i. i found Boston to be lovely, but the drive up to Vermont/New Hampshire was EXCELLENT! i can't tell u what will be peak since i live in California, but this trip is awesome and lovely. yes...make sure u make reservations now! we stayed in B&Bs throughout the White Mtns and enjoyed the driving immensely. ENJOY!

Old Jun 30th, 1999, 05:44 PM
Donna

I, too, would recommend heading for the Berkshires, White Mountains, or Green Mountains, if you want to enjoy foliage. The scenery all along the way will be spectacular as well. While it varies from year to year, the last week in September and first week of October are quite reliable times to go for lots of color. The temperatures are even more variable. Two years ago, there was frost and it was chilly the first weekend of October. Last year, it was in the 80's over the same weekend.