Search

Boston- day trip

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2005, 03:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boston- day trip

We will be in Boston with our 3 kids (8,12,&15)tomorrow for a week. We would like to get out of the city for a day- will rent a car for the day. Is it feasible to drive to the Cape (on a week day)or is this insane?
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 04:04 AM

No, that's not insane at all as long as you wait until Monday at least.

Take a look at your options, though -- you might be satisfied with going just as far south as Plymouth (which is just north of where the Cape officially starts), where you'll find plenty to do (Plimoth Plantation, Mayflower II, museums, restaurants and shopping). In Bourne, near Plymouth, the beach at Scusset Beach State Park is pleasant and very accessible (plenty of reasonably-priced parking).
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 04:54 AM

Another option would be Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket. You'd have to get an early start down to the Cape and take the ferry to one of the islands. They're both beatiful. If you're interested, check the Steamship Authority's or Hyline's websites. It will be a long day, but they're worth visiting if you're up for it. I'm actually leaving for a week in Nantucket now. Have fun.
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 05:35 AM

I agree with anonymous. Plymouth would be a great stop for your family and Plimoth Plantation and the Mayflower are great and would take a good chunk of the day. Just do it midweek. There's an interesting museum but the rock is kind of a joke. If you go all the way to the Cape, there's not much to see for a day trip. The 2 main rds., 28 and 6, do not go along the water and you would have to go down side streets to see the ocean. 28 is quite tacky in places. 6 is prettier but mostly inns and antique shops which probably wouldn't interest your kids. IMO, the Cape is great for folks who want to spend vacation time there and do "beachy" stuff, but doesn't offer much for daytrippers.
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 05:36 AM

Another possibility would be to go to a beach on Cape Anne (like Wingershaek), or to Plumb Island to the north. Salem has a kind of kitschy appeal for kids -- witches, wax museums and believe-it-or not galleries.

The awful Cape driving takes place on weekends, so you'll be ok if you avoid it. If you are going, I strongly suggest you get out as far as the eastern (ocean) edge, maybe even to Cape Cod National Seashore.

Closer beaches in Hyannis, etc, are small and crowded, and generally unimpressive.
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 09:56 AM

I agree with those who suggested Salem. The Cape is doable for a day, but Nantucket/MV are not really if you are starting from Boston. But if you are just looking for nice beaches, there are plenty closer to Boston that might be nicer than the beaches right at the start of the Cape. Crane's Beach, Plum Island, Halibut Point (not really a swimming beach) - there is a lot of stuff on the North Shore that makes a nice day trip.

If you do go south, Plymouth is a good idea - I think it would take a big bit out of the day to get all the way to the National Seashore from Boston and back. Another possibility is the Provincetown ferry, which takes 90 minutes or so and leaves from Boston.