Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Couple Vacation to Cape Cod, Need town suggestions...

Old Aug 21st, 2010, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

My boyfriend and I have decided to take a vacation to Cape Cod. We love the beautiful scenery. These are the things we are looking for:
-beautiful scenery
-restaraunt where you can dine on the dock or very close to the water
-a town that has lots of little shops and stuff to do, but isn't HUGE. We want to be able to walk around from our hotel or something like that or just small drives.
-the cape cod feel, not Huge city feel
-close to stuff to do... we like museums, art, shops, RESTAURANTS, animal watching, and little history stuff.
-Not a far drive to other towns.
-needs to be accesible for us to fly there or get there easily when we arrive. I know Ptown has an airline that goes to and from boston, but I don't know if this is the most effiecient.

We were thinking of going to Ptown, but a lot of people online said that you should just go there as a day trip. Now I am thinking of Catham or Brewster or Hyannis. I am just lost. There are so many towns to choose from. We want a romantic trip that includes some of the above points. I was really drawn to Ptown at first, ecspecially becuase it seems like most everything is close to the water. We like the dock-feel. If anyone could help that would be great! Also if you could let us know the best way to travel/get the fastest if we are flying there from Nebraska.

Thanks
Old Aug 21st, 2010, 08:25 AM

IMHO Provincetown is the best for all you are seeking...lots to do and nearby the National Seashore with its wonderful bike and walking trails. I am bored with places like Chatham, for example. It has beaufitul hotels and a cute downtown but not enough there except for a one time short visit. Hyannis is the shopping center of the Cape...malls, major box stores, etc. Don't know much about Brewster....
Old Aug 21st, 2010, 08:28 AM

When? How long for?
Fly to Boston, puddle jump to Provincetown or ferry would be easiest I think.
Chatham is also nice but I'm not sure how you'd get there easily without a car (taxi from P-town?). You mention not a 'far drive from other towns' so do you intend to rent a car?

I'm not a huge fan of Hyannis.
Old Aug 21st, 2010, 08:31 AM

I might reconsider Provincetown since it has the closest to what is on your list. A great street on which there are lots of little unique shops, many restaurants - most overlooking water even if just a pizza shop. Art galleries and some maritime history. Some little local bars/clubs, some with live local music during the summer.

One bit of information - Provincetown has a traditionally higher than average gay/lesbian population, both in summer and year round. I carefully worded the last sentence - because it is far from being a primarily gay destination. You just need to be aware you are more likely to see same sex couples there than in many places in US. But it is also a very family-friendly destination and we have enjoyed our many visits there over the decades (pre-kids, with little kids, teens, and as empty-nesters - and we are your basic heterosexual married suburban couple).

Fly into Boston/Logan or Providence, RI/TF Green airport and rent a car and drive. Depending on time of day/day of week it is a couple of hours. If you can avoid driving to Cape Cod from about noon on a Friday thru Sat noon - or driving off Cape anytime on a weekend, you will miss traffic. If your vacation schedule is such that you will be travelling on weekends, you might consider spending a night in Boston or Providence on either end of your trip.

Having a car on the Cape is, I believe, essential. Public transit is limited and a car allows you to venture a bit out of your town of lodging. Based on your list, you would also enjoy Wellfleet and Truro - but I would do those as day trips - less than 1/2 hour away. Make sure you go to Cape Cod National Seashore - and if by some chance you have a National Parks pass bring that since it gets you parking (the main entry is in Eastham and there are remote lots and old trolley-style shuttles to beach to reduce car traffic). You also would enjoy exploring along Rte 6A where there are all sorts of craft or art galleries - authentic made-on-Cape Cod stuff by real artisans.

As far as the other towns, Hyannis is too big - and much of the water access is private. Chatham is a bit more spread out - in Provincetown you could walk to everything.
Old Aug 21st, 2010, 08:31 AM

Ha, posting at same time as SusieQQ! I agree and the best beaches are in that area too (although you didn't mention the beach). Maybe a split stay between Provincetown and Chatham (some people want cutesy!/).
Old Aug 21st, 2010, 08:40 AM

I say Chatham. It's such a cute town. Many lovely inns to say in. We loved the Captains House Inn. Easy drive to many other towns, beaches etc. We enjoyed a day trip to Ptown - but I would not want to stay there. It was busy and not at all the quaint cape cod town we wanted. Enjoy. We loved the cape and cannot wait to return.
Old Aug 21st, 2010, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

This is our plan so far:

We want to go October 21-24th for my birthday. That is a Thurday-Sunday. I was thinking that we would fly into Boston as early as we can Thursday morning and then fly or ferry over to PTown. I am leaning towards Ptown from what you guys have said. The gay population doesn't bug me at all, not really a factor at all for me. I'm thinking that flying into Ptown may be easier because then we could rent a car from the airport right? And just drive away from the airport to our hotel? We are definately going to rent a car. We want to go down to Plymouth maybe and see some sights. We are thinking to spend one day doing a road trip to other towns and just go into each town and see a couple things and then arrive at our hotel late. I was thinking we would do this on Friday and then spend Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday in Ptown and then leave on a late flight.

So here are some more questions: Would a day trip be enough to go see a few cool sights? I looked online and it said that the drives can be up to an hour between the furthest town. Is this true? If we do this, what towns should we visit and what should we go see to be able to do it in one day? We don't want to spend more than one day doing this, because we want a pretty relaxed vacation.

We are thinking of doing whale watching in Ptown and want to go to the Lobster Pot (because there is good stuff said about it online)... any restuarants that you guys think are good? any places to stay in PTown that are the best? We are thinking of keeping our hotel budget to around 100-160 a night and would prefer something with water views or close to the water...

Okay, this is alot again. Sorry I kind of ramble, but you guys are helping me out a lot! Thanks
Old Aug 21st, 2010, 08:56 AM

I agree with all that is said about Provincetown. We were on the cape two weeks ago. Our favorite town was Wellfleet. We stayed in Brewster but spent almost our entire stay in Wellfleet and P-town. You definitely will need a car. Our favorite beaches were Herring Cove and Race Point both part of the National Seashore. The beach at Race Point is much wider than Herring Cove (walk from dunes to the waterline). Wellfleet is on the bay and has nice galleries and some beautiful vistas right past the town. There was a beautiful flat hike along the water that I believe was part of the National Parks system; I will try to get more specific information about it for you. We had a yummy lunch in Bookstore (?) and an okay dinner at Mac's shack in Wellfleet Harbore. We also went to the top of the Plymouth Tower in P-town for magificant views.
Old Aug 21st, 2010, 09:00 AM

You don't have an accurate picture of the area - you are not going to fly into Provincetown - it is a municipal airport. Even Hyannis is not really an airport of any size. There may perhaps be a few public flights into Provincetown, but you would surely be adding an additional connection. At that time of year by the time to make the connection to fly to Cape Cod you might as well drive from Boston.

I had no idea you were planning for late October - that changes a lot. It will not be warm enough to swim or even sit on the beach unless you hit an unusual warm spell. Much on Cape Cod closes up for the season after Columbus Day - less so in Provincetown or Hyannis.

If you want to see Plymouth (Plimouth Plantation is the re-enactment of the town; Plymouth Rock is silly - it is a random boulder in a wire cage with a plaque that looks like they dug it up from a highway project) fly into Boston and stop in Plymouth to or from Cape Cod.
Old Aug 21st, 2010, 09:08 AM

That weekend in Provincetown is the end of Fantasiafair Week, so hotel prices may be high.
Old Aug 21st, 2010, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

If I were to go to Ptown, how much of it would be closed? Will they still be doing the whale watching tours and will all the restuarants be open? What exactly would be closed?
Old Aug 21st, 2010, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Would it be better to go in early october? September is out of the question, we would have to go in october.
Old Aug 21st, 2010, 09:48 AM

Early October would be better - warmer weather and most places don't close until mid-late October. Also, depending on weather, you could even catch some later season foliage on way to Cape - if you are into photography at all you could catch some nice foliage/water scenes. I know nothing about FantasiaFair but just checked its website (.org) - billed as largest transgender event in the country/world. Have no idea how much of a presence this is in Provincetown, but worth finding out - at least in part because of hotel availability and price.
Old Aug 21st, 2010, 10:47 AM

I agree completely with Aug. 21 posting by Jenn.
Old Aug 21st, 2010, 11:10 AM

Bit late for whalewatching.
The season runs through October but the earlier you go the better...weatherwise and for chance of sightings. If you're really keen to see whales go as soon as you can during your trip (if you don't see whales they offer a free repeat trip but honestly with the amount of time you have you may well want to skip a second 3-4 hour boat trip).
Old Aug 21st, 2010, 11:19 AM

I think you have 2 options. The first would be fly to Boston and ferry to Ptown and then spend your time in Ptown, as you really can't get around without a car.

Second option would be to fly to Boston and rent a car and drive to the Cape. Maybe stay in Chatham with a day trip to Ptown. Check out Chatham Bars Inn.

Also, check how late in the season the Ptown ferry runs. I know it doesn't run year round but not sure of the exact dates.
Old Aug 21st, 2010, 11:22 AM

The best for whalewatching is the Dolphin Fleet. They operate until the end of October. I plan on going on one of their trips while I'm in P'town during the first week in October. http://www.whalewatch.com/dolphinfleet/
Old Aug 21st, 2010, 11:32 AM

Another option is to fly into Providence, btw. Check a map, and Providence is often a much cheaper flight and car-rental destination.
Old Aug 22nd, 2010, 08:00 AM

I think you are best off driving to Ptown from Boston--it is 100 miles. Other than rush hour, traffic shouldn't be too bad, a 2 to 2.5 hour drive. If not in a hurry, my favorite route is down 6A, getting off in Sandwich. If you want to go to Plymouth, do it on the way down or back, don't make a daytrip out of it.

I was there one weekend in October during Fantasia. It was different. We joked that we were the prettiest women in town only to later learn that it was indeed transgender week. This summer I spent a week in Truro and on daily trips to Ptown saw lots of hairy, burly men and learned it was "Bear Week". Ptown has something different going on all the time.

We had really good meals at the Red Inn in east Ptown, Mews, Fanizzis and Front Porch. The first three are on the water. The Red Inn was my favorite location. Mews was the best service.

October weather is iffy--I was there once in early October and it was beautiful; once toward the end of the month and it rained and was on the cool side, but we still had a good time. I don't recall the stores or restaurants being closed.

Do check the National Seashore website, they offer some really good programs, but again don't know how long their season lasts. Also check out Wellfleet and go down at least as far as the harbor. We had a really nice lunch there at the bookstore restaurant that is directly across from a beach.

I've stayed at the Surfside Inn on the waterside--cant' remember if rooms are $99 or $199 that time of year. But, I would check out the reviews for B&Bs--they've always been full when I tried, so never stayed at one. Prices might be reasonable in Oct.