Reload this Page >

Boston, Chicago or New York City?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 1999, 06:52 AM
Emma

My husband and I are planning a trip to one of the above cities - we have visited none. Which would you choose for 5 days in summer 1999? We are mid-thirties, no kids.

Old Jan 10th, 1999, 09:08 AM
steve

Even though New York can be oppresively hot in the summer, since you've never been there I would still suggest you go there. Boston and Chicago are both wonderful cities and I highly reccomend you visit them as well. But...New York has an excitement and energy unlike any city in the world. There is so much to see and do there that you will never be bored-from high culture to high fashion to the grungiest of the grunge-- it's all there in New York.

Old Jan 10th, 1999, 09:09 AM
steve

Even though New York can be oppresively hot in the summer, since you've never been there I would still suggest you go there. Boston and Chicago are both wonderful cities and I highly reccomend you visit them as well. But...New York has an excitement and energy unlike any city in the world. There is so much to see and do there that you will never be bored-from high culture to high fashion to the grungiest of the grunge-- it's all there in New York.

Old Jan 11th, 1999, 05:27 AM
Paul Rabe

I've visited all three on several occassions and New York City wins hands down.It's got the best museums, culture, ethnic diversity, nightlife, excitement, and food of any US city. It's expensive and nerve-wracking, but that's part of the adventure. Go there -- no question on my part.

Old Jan 11th, 1999, 06:52 AM
ilisa

New York is simply the greatest city. Boston is charming, but NYC has far more to offer.

Old Jan 11th, 1999, 10:46 PM
Donna

Haven't been to Chicago (yet) but highly recommend either Boston or NYC. You might want to go your your local bookstore and peruse the Eyewitness Guide for each and see which of the three you find most appealing. You might also want to consider Montreal or Toronto. Montreal is a fabulous destination during the Jazz Festival, International Fireworks Competition, Comedy Festival, Film Festival...And, with the favorable exchange rate, you can really live it up there for a lot less. Best of all, it's almost like a trip to Europe.

Old Jan 12th, 1999, 12:45 PM
marilyn

As a Chicagoan who has visited the other two, I'd say it would depend on your interests. All three are really special places with lots to recommend. New York is unique, but I personally find it a little intimidating. Boston has so much history, great old buildings, interesting side trips available. Chicago has great shopping, stunning architecture, and a swimmable lake right at its doorstep.

Old Jan 12th, 1999, 03:37 PM
Karen

All three cities are just knock-down, awe-inspiring and of those, I'd pick NYC, but if you haven't been to Washington, DC, I'd go there first.

Old Jan 12th, 1999, 05:59 PM
sandra engley

Have been in all three places in the summetime. If you are not comfortable it will be hard to enjoy your visit. In the summer in NYC, the heat has no place to go. Once you have been stuck on the subway, or bus or taxi, with no air conditioning you will wish you had come at a different time of year. Certainly worth a visit but not in the summer. Chicago offers a breeze from the lake. A stroll down Michigan Ave. Water Tower Place, The Sears Tower, Lake Shore Drive offers a lot to see in a compact area. The Art institute of Chicago is right downtown, The Adler Planetarium, Shed Aquarium and Field Museum of Natural History are on the same street, making it easy to pick and choose what you may want to visit. Did all this at age 35, plenty to keep an adult interested. There are also summertime concerts at Buckingham fountain. I remember great food, Ribs, and Pizza at the original Pizzeria Uno. Wonderful architecture, if you admire Frank Lloyd Wright, Oak Park is nearby.
Don't know what part of the country you are from, if you have never seen the ocean, a trip to New England should be on your horizon. Boston is full of history and best explored on foot. The neighborhoods range from the classy Beacon Hill, artsy Back Bay (Newbury St.) The North end has wonderful aromas of about 80 Italian restaurants and cafes. Just follow your nose, to the one that smells best. Bostons North End seems to be much larger and offer more options then NYC's little Italy or San Francisco's North Beach. Each July 4th about a half million people gather at the Esplanade along the Charles River (near MIT) for an all day picnic and peaceful gathering waitng for the 8pm Boston Pops concert followed by a spectacular display of fireworks. This is quite an impressive site you will never forget. It has beeb televised on A&E for many years. The New England Aquarium offers Whale Watching cruises. Quincy Market at Fanuiel Hall has hundreds of shops and eateries. Boston area has several outdoor concert sites such as Harborlights in Boston, Great Woods in Mansfield, North Shore Music Circus, South Shore Melody Tent in Cohasset. Side trips are almost too numerous to mention now, they have been discussed many times here on the Fodor's forum. I suggest you do a search on Boston to see the list of possibilities.
Have a lobster, walk the freedom trail, visit Paul Revere's house. Boston is a fun place to explore for all ages.

Old Jan 12th, 1999, 07:42 PM
Mike

I live in NY and have visited both Chicago and Boston. All three cities are different and each is certainly worth a visit.
Boston is very charming, great for walking, has a lot of history. There are also some attractions very close to it (Plymouth, Cape Cod, Lexington,etc.)
Chicago is simply stunning, with beautiful architecture, beaches right in the middle of the downtown, great museums, and enough shopping and entertainment to keep you busy forever.
New York is sometimes unbearably hot in the summer. It is also a lot more expensive than other cities. On the plus side, museums and theaters in NYC are second to none. The midtown is charming and beautiful. Plus, you have all the must-sees such as Statue of Liberty, United Nations, World Trade Center, Rockefeller Center, Central park, etc.

Personally, I think you'll greatly enjoy any of these cities.

Old Jan 13th, 1999, 01:45 PM
lisa feltner

Definately visit Boston! Of course I'm biased because I live here, but there is SO much to do with discounts & free events available -large population of students who are gone in the summer so it's not crowded! - and the beaches on North Shore/South Shore/Cape are beautiful. You can easily get to most places, including beaches without a car and although it may seem restricting to go without a car, it's down right refreshing to be on foot or public transportation. Where else can you travel across town for 75 cents? Boston is pretty safe too -lots of people live in the city - it's also romantic, has lots of trees, and each neighborhood has its own character. I could go on and on. Have fun!

Old Jan 14th, 1999, 05:07 AM
Usha

I would recommend Boston, especially in the middle of the summer. There are many things to do even if it gets really hot and it's easy to get to some lovely places just outside the city (Beautiful beaches and quaint towns on the North Shore) -- lots of fun outdoor restaurants and lots of historic sites.

Old Jan 15th, 1999, 05:47 PM
David

I am from Chicago and we live back East close to New York and a 1/2 day drive to Beantown. New York is the best place, but I would not go in the summer-it is hot, muggy and better to visit in cooler weather (spring or fall) or just before Christmas when it's quite spectacular. Boston has a lot of history and there is a lot of exploring to do, especially if you're into history. However, Chicago get's my vote and I agree with the above person who raved about it. It's very friendly, the people are wholesome (per my Philly-born wife) and there's so much to do. Stay in town or near north (the Park Hyatt is great as are some of the smaller hotels-Raphael, Tremont, Whitehall. Navy pier has a jazz faest and a great food fest every year. Do the museums (Art Institute, Shedd Aquarium, Field Museum). Drive up along Lake Shore Drive and then Sheridan Road to Evanston (where Northwestern) and farther north through the northern suburbs; this is one of the great drives I know. Eat at the Berghoff, mK (a great hot new place on Franklin Street), go to Pizzeria Uno. But mostly, go when the Cubs are playing at Wrigley, the greatest place to view a ballgame and the beloved, but usually hapless, Cubbies (day or night, it's the best.)

Old Jan 16th, 1999, 11:54 AM
Raeona

Whew, what a choice! As a Chicagoan I was all set to vote for New York -- it really is incomparable (tho I'm a Boston fan, too)....and all three cities can be miserably hot in the summer. On the other hand, "hot" in NYC is like hot nowhere else - it is just awful. In Chicago, you get cool when you go into the subway - in NYC, it gets hotter! But it has to come down to your own tastes and preferences - there's gotta be something about one of these towns that rings a chime for you the way the others don't. Good luck!

Old Jan 16th, 1999, 09:07 PM
Donna

I've given this further thought and completely agree with the advice above concerning the heat and humidity during the summer in Chicago (although I've never been there) and NYC (where it's sometimes oppressive at the end of May and during September). We live in Southern NH, and when it's hot and humid (mild by comparison), we head for Boston because you can always count on the ocean breezes to render it substantially more comfortable. Unlike NYC and Chicago, the temperatures drop substantially after sunset, making it delightful for being out and about. Some of our most memorable experiences: Attending a concert at Harborlights Pavillion (outdoors, right on the harbor with the twinkling skyline nearby, a magical experience - the 1999 schedule should be posted in April at www.harborlights.com); the (free) Boston Pops concerts on the Esplanade (other than on July 4th when it's mobbed); a dinner cruise (daytime cruises are nice also) on the Spirit of Boston (the return to the dock with the skyline ahead is breathtaking); spending an afternoon/evening at Faneuil Hall Marketplace shopping, eating, enjoying the fabulous street performers; a stroll through Beacon Hill; an stroll down Newbury Street for shopping and lunch (or awesome Sunday brunch at Stephanie's) with a visit to the huge Borders afterward; a walk through the Public Gardens; a Broadway Show in the theatre district (check www.ticketmaster.com to see what's playing - all the big shows come to town) preceeded by dinner in the up and coming South End (next neighborhood over). One of the finest experiences ever, anywhere, was dining and dancing at the Ritz Roof (we try to do this every year). Before dinner drinks in the lounge at the Ritz overlooking the Public Gardens is a wonderful repast as well. The food is spectacular, the views awesome, the music fabulous. We have a great time watching couples dance who really know what they're doing. Another fine evening destination is the Bay Tower Room with cocktails afterward in the lounge on the mezanine, dancing to the orchestra there. There are fabulous hotels, ranging from modest to posh. If you had time or got bored (not likely), you could always take a day trip to one of the awesome seaport towns north of the city: Newburyport, Salem, Marblehead, Rockport, or Portsmouth, NH. Lunch on the deck (perched on rocks hanging over the harbor at Bearskin Neck) at My Place by the Sea in Rockport is fabulous. Portsmouth is a wonderful place to spend the day.

Old Jan 16th, 1999, 09:44 PM
Alma

I was going to New York in July. Is the heat and humidity in New York as bad or worse than Orlando and Hawaii (I'm from Hawaii)?

Thank you for your help.

Old Aug 3rd, 1999, 06:24 PM
ET

Have not been in Chicago. Have heard great city. My son lives in NYC. Before I get out of the car my stomach is in a knot! Busy, overwhelming, lots and lots of action. It is a city that never sleeps. Very $$$$$ for the most part. Restaurants to die for! Again, $$$$! Lots of walking and tons of sites, fabulous shopping.
My 22 year old son absolutely loves it.
His 50 year old mother lives and prefers Boston any day of the week. No we don't have as much action as NYC but we are a classy town. Lots to do at a slower pace. Fabulous restaurants as well. The Swan Boats, the Ritz, Newbury Street, Quincy/Fanueil Market, North End, Boston Harbor and tons of wonderful history. Come to Boston....it is the Best of the Best!

Have a great trip!

Old Aug 4th, 1999, 04:18 AM
Meredith

Emma! What did you decide?

Old Aug 4th, 1999, 05:45 AM
Cindy

CHICAGO........
Simply put, it's just heavon on earth!!!

Old Aug 4th, 1999, 06:43 AM
AJ

These are three great cities! My husband and I love great cities, including Manhattan. But we set a three-day time limit on visits to Manhattan. At the end of three days, we are usually tired of the aggressive nature of the city, and also tired of hemorraghing money. Why don't you extend your trip to 6 days, get an open jaw flight, and take an air shuttle from New York to Boston, spending three days in each? Not to slight Chicago, which I love, but it's further away, of course.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -