Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Boston Center for the Arts - safe at night?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5th, 2006, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi -- it looks to me from their website that the Boston Center for the Arts is pretty distant from the nearest T stops (Back Bay and Copley Square). Is this an area you would consider safe to walk at night, after a BCA performance, for a woman by herself? I'm not familiar with Boston at all but routinely walk alone in Chicago at night, if that helps.

Thanks!
Old Nov 5th, 2006, 10:09 AM
TKT

Walking to the performance I wouldn't worry, the area is clean and attractive with many brownstones. Go on Dartmouth Street from the Back Bay station, walk about 6 blocks and then take a left on Tremont and the BCA will be about 4 blocks.

I consider the area very safe, however there are some nearby streets that are not. For a woman alone who doesn't know the city I would suggest having a cab company number on your cell and then taking a cab to the Back Bay, where you will be able to walk alone without any problem.

If you want to have a drink or meal after the show there are many restaurants in the same building as the BCA, Picco for dessert and coffee, Sibling Rivalry for pricey food and a small lounge, Great Martinis there.
Old Nov 5th, 2006, 01:22 PM

I agree about walking there but taxi back - although I am not sure where you are staying?

They also have exc map and walking options on their web site. Depending on where you are headed after the show, you may want to head out of there for post eating/drinking in an area that may be more populated later into the night and that you may feel more comfortable in (Back Bay, Copley Place, Newbury St, etc) -

I know you won't have a car, but at dinner hours until around 11pm, there are several valet stands right out front on that block stretch of Tremont (one for the BCA on wed-sat, and tues if it's an opening night) and the one at the corner of Clarendon & Tremont at Hammersley's Bistro Restaurant next to theater, another 1/2 block away in front of Aquitaine Rest, etc - so you would feel comfortable calling a cab and waiting in front of that block or two between Dartmouth/Clarendon, Tremont and Berkeley Sts. - these are popular restaurants and there are people going in and out, the valets, etc.

I have walked from there to the Copley area many times at night (female), but I am not alone - and am comfortable but as TKT said, there are some side streets and even spots on Clarendon/Dartmouth that can be dark at night since there are lengths that are mostly brownstones or day businesses, so it might feel 'lonely' to you -
then again, on a nice night, there are sometimes many people walking , esp after performances, but you wouldn't know when they turn off and you could end up alone and perhaps not comfortable, so calling a cab might be best for you.

Old Nov 6th, 2006, 04:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks both, this is extremely useful. Since I'm the last person on the planet without a cell phone , calling a taxi can be problematic, but I've had good luck asking people working in theatres to call for me. Also appreciate the restaurant and post-show suggestions -- very helpful. I'll be printing your responses out and taking them along. Thanks again.
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 04:24 AM
katybird

We aren't cell phone people either but do have a Tracfone for use for just such situations. You might want to look into them. We have used ours to call AAA, cabs when traveling,cancel and making motel reservations from our car etc... 911 calls are free.

Old Nov 6th, 2006, 07:13 AM
TKT

I suggested a cell phone because you might need to make a call to get a cab.
But if you go to the street corner near the theatre there should be a taxi there in less than 5 minues at most.
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 07:44 AM

hi--please think about purchasing a disposable cell that one pays only for the apparatus and the card that contains the minutes...available everywhere from Target, to your local pharmacy at a very reasonable price....to quote the much over-used line from the commercial....Peace of mind---priceless!!
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 07:59 AM

Just to add to katy's point...it is my undertanding that *all* cell phones, even ones w/expired contracts call 911 for free. That is why they collect them for women's shelters. Of course, you must keep it charged. So anyone traveling alone who is not a cell phone owner, could ask a friend, many of whom have cell phone "graveyards" in their possession, to lend them a defunct phone and charger for just such an emergency.
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 01:51 PM

TKT is right, you will likely find a cab - but if you don't, and don't have a cell, you can get a number of people to call you one - from the theater folks, to valets, restaurant hostesses/maitre d's in the surrounding restaurants, someone in the Atelier, any of them would be happy to call for a single gal .
Enjoy your show !