Reload this Page >

boston/cape cod/new bedford

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 08:33 AM
fred

Can anyone please suggest an itinerary for a week in B/CC/NB? Please, reasonable motels and meals. Also, are these places a good choice in order to see the best of Mass., or Maine? Thanks you.

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 11:28 AM
paula

New Bedofrd does not have a lot to see - though you can whale watch and tour the battleships. There is some great outlet shopping as well, same exit as the battle ships off 295. So it is basically a day trip or a day and a half at most. The Cape could easily be a full weeks worth of stufff, depending on what you want to do and see. The National Seashore, up beyond Wellfleet is gorgeous and worth the trip. Chatham is a beautiful town with quanit shops and wonderful restaurants. Sandwich has the Heritage Plantation and many other historic sights and wonderful restaurants. Hyannis is Hyannis - you can pick up the ferry to Nantucket and MArtha's Vineyard here,as well as a short "harbor" tour. Many opportunities for shopping and eating in Hyannis. There is outlet shopping just over the Bourne Bridge, at the Rotary, and at the Sagamore Bridge right at route 6. Off course, there is Provincetown... alot depends on if you have kids travelling with you or just adults.... there are tons of mini-golf courses throughout the Cape. The north side of Rte 6 is a little quieter and more quaint. Rte 28 is usually a mess of traffic through dinner time if you are going during the summer months.

Boston is a wonderful city - easy to spend a few days in. I would recommend taking a Duck Tour or a Trolley Tour - this gives you an overview of the city and an idea of what you want to go back and spend time at. Boston is a walker-friendly city if you have good shoes and a good map in hand. Usually most people try to do a least part of the Freedom Trail and North Church. Faneuil Hall is great for unique shopping and eating. A leisurely swan boat ride on the Common is a treat for small kids - and inexpensive - bring crackers to feed the ducks and be sure to read Make Way for Ducklings before you go. There are numerous museums - which can get costly, but lots of easy outdoorsy stuff to do.

Both the Cape and Boston are not cheap - hotel-wise. In Boston, it may be wiser to stay at the Holiday at the Riverside T stop and take the T in for $2.00. Boston is not a great town to drive in if you do not know where you are going. If you do not already have reservations for the Cape this summer - good luck. They are tough this time of year - and pricey. Let me know if I can help you further!!

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 11:59 AM
Chris

My wife and I did a Boston trip around the 4th this year.

In Boston, there are a 1000 museums, go to some that interest you. Some of the best are in Harvard and Cambridge....Make sure to spend at least a half day around the Cambridge/Harvard area.

Walk the Freedom Trail through Boston.

We didn;t go to New Bedford or the Cape, but did enjoy both Concord and Lexington (just west of town) and Plymouth...touristy as you may expect but a nice place. We hated Salem (to the north of town)...it's a witch Disneyland that just has some wierd and bad vibes about it.

Chris

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 05:39 AM
Ann

I believe Paula has confused New Bedford with Fall River, MA. New Bedford is noted for its excellent whaling museum, while Fall River has Battleship Cove and the Lizzy Bordon museum. I've been to both as day trips out of Boston, but can't really give too much info on either. Salem has its tacky side, but it is also the home of the Peabody Essex Museum, one of the best in my opinion. Special show there this summer is on arts/artifacts from the Forbidden City in Beijing. The museum specializes in maritime history, the China trade, etc. as well as historic homes (take the tour from the Museum). There is also a National Parks headquarters in Salem and tours of various historic sites. The House of Seven Gables is very intersting as well. You can even take a commuter boat from Boston to Salem (about one hour) which is a great ride on a hot summer day. Don't sell Salem short, just don't spend all your time doing witches.

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 05:27 PM
Gene

One week is not enough time for the Cape or Boston and one day is too much time for New Bedford.

The previous posters gave you some suggestions for all 3 places so I will just add: There are no whale watches from New Bedford, and all 3 places you mentioned are in Mass not Maine.

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 03:55 AM
fred

I want to thank the extremely kind people who responded to my request(Paula, Chris, Anne, Gene). My problen now is finding reasonable accommodations (I'm going October 20-28.) Thanks again.

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 06:13 AM
paula

Previous poster is correct _ I did confuse the two towns - New Bedford and Fall River. Apologies! Needless to say, I will not share any further inof there.

The Cape is wonderful in October and as it is off season, you should be able to get some pretty good rates. You mention reasonable- but it all depends on what you are looking for. The Cove in West Yarmotuh is a timeshare that has suites, condo style. We have gotten good deals there. The Sheraton in Hyannis runs the usual Sheraton specials. As you have time, I would ask AAA to send me a Tourbook for the Massachusetts area. They have hotel listings with all the prices by season. They are not always accurate, and I strongly suggest calling the hotels direct (many have 800 numbers) and asking for their best deal. Or call the Cape Cod Chamber of Commerce - they probably have a website as well.

In Boston - good luck finding a "reasonable" hotel rate. If you choose to stay in the city, there is a Howard Johnson's on Boylston St - just behind Fenway Park, close to T stops - and a Holiday Inn on Beacon St - also close to the T. There are various hotels just outside the city - Natick for instance has everything from Red Roof to Ramada and up.....this is an easy drive to the Riverside T stop - $2.00 into Boston. There is a Holiday Inn at the Riverside T stop. We haven't come in from the North, so I am not overly familiar with that area.

Researching your trip is half the fun, I find. Go onto websites for those particular places you mentioned - they usually list accomodations........check them out! Good luck!