Boston Boxborough MA Relocation Help

Old Sep 26th, 2007, 03:35 AM
d
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boston Boxborough MA Relocation Help

Will be working in Boxborough and hoping to find some suggestions for nearby areas to live. Looking for something with a short commute (less than 30 minutes with traffic), things to do and safe. Many thanks.
Old Sep 26th, 2007, 03:56 AM

Age, marital status, ?family, interests, buy or rent and price range - give some more info and you will get more focused responses.

Boxboro area is family-oriented suburb - so if you are, for example, a young single person, the answer will be different than if you are school system shopping.

Old Sep 26th, 2007, 04:40 AM

When looking for housing/community in Boston, everything is budget-driven since real estate prices are so high. The good news is, currently it's a buyer's market with prices still dropping.

The Acton/Boxborough regional school district is excellent, as are nearby communities like Lincoln and Sudbury. Not surprisingly, real estate prices are very closely correlated with public-school quality.
Old Sep 26th, 2007, 05:02 AM
d
Original Poster

Single, early 20's and looking to rent. Thanks.
Old Sep 26th, 2007, 05:06 AM

I know Acton has some decent rental stock. My friend lived there for a number of years in her mid-20s. Now she lives in Maynard, which is great but probably too far to commute to Boxborough... You also might want to look at West Concord (not to be confused with Concord proper). All of these towns have a "downtown" area with shops, restaurants, bars.
Old Sep 26th, 2007, 05:35 AM

If you're young and single then I think Waltham is the place. It may be a little longer than a 30 minute commute to Boxboro but if you can't live in Boston I think it's the next best place for young singles. The area around Moody St has lots of bars and restaurants.

Any of the towns around Boxboro are pretty suburban, more family oriented than singles-oriented.
Old Sep 26th, 2007, 07:43 AM

HI--having lived in Boston area for 30+ years--since early 20s--I can tell you that as a 20 something, you will find Boxboro boring. Davis Square in Somerville is the current choice of many people your age, and a "reverse" commute is not the worst thing in the world. I did it for many years from Harvard Square to up around Lowell, and altho traffic has greatly increased in the intervening years, it was so wonderful to live in an interesting, lively, age-appropiate place, that the commute was well-worth it.
Old Sep 26th, 2007, 10:19 AM

I do not think Somerville to Boxboro is a great idea - despite being reverse commute. There is not a really easy way from Somerville to Boxboro - one must deal with a great deal of local road traffic to get to highway and then deal with Rte 495 - which either way is going to be unpredictable at best.

Lexington possibly, but also expensive. What is your budget?
Old Sep 26th, 2007, 11:21 AM

Boxborough is in the middle of nowhere.
If you lived in Cambridge near Rte. 2, possibly Fresh Pond area, you would probably be less than 30 min with traffic. Even Belmont or Watertown would be better for getting to Boston and Cambridge. Unless you love the county suburban life, I would consider it. Lowell is another possiblility, but some parts are not nice, and you really have to spend time there to see if it is for you.
Old Sep 26th, 2007, 01:39 PM

Hi--altho gail is correct that the commute would not be great, I am remembering how I felt about life in my 20s and a less than great commute would have won out over living in a boring place. At my current age, Lexington would be a great place to live. In my 20s it would have felt way too suburban....It is true that you specifically mention a short commute, but I guess I am wondering if you are willing to live a suburban life in order to have that short commute. I do not believe there are any 20--something--friendly locales 30 min or less from Boxboro.

Wyatt is also correct that Waltham has a lot of restaurants and bars but I also wonder if someone in their 20s would enjoy living there. Maybe I am not imaginative enough, but Cambridge and Somerville are the only 2 places that I would consider seriously if I were in your shoes.....
Old Sep 26th, 2007, 02:03 PM

Earlier I mentioned my friend who used to live in Acton and now lives in Maynard. She works in Westford, which is almost adjacent to Boxborough. Yes, the area is suburban - but in fact it's almost more rural than suburban, right on that edge along the I-495 loop of Boston.

The Boxborough area is great if you're into the outdoors: very easy access to lots of hiking trails and not far from the mountains of NH and western MA. It's even not that bad a drive to MA's northshore beaches.

From the OP, it doesn't sound like nightlife is as much a priority as a short commute: Acton and Maynard would be both, with enough of a "downtown" so you're able to go out with friends after work without trekking into the city. Maynard in particular is an old mill town, the old buildings now housing businesses and an arts community, and there's a fair amount of ethnic variety in the local restaurants.

My friend's BF lives in Amesbury, closer to the NH border; he also used to commute to Westford down I-495. It's a bit of a ways, but commuting along I-495 is preferable to the east/west to/from Boston and vicinity. They often go into Boston and also to Waltham on the weekends to meet up with friends.

FWIW, Waltham is definitely a hit with 20-somethings who don't opt to live in the bigger cities. For one thing, many Brandeis grads continue to make the area home. Sure it's not Cambridge or Somerville, but the city of Waltham is rejuvenating, and it's not the suburbs! Still, I wouldn't want to commute from there all the way out to Boxborough: the most direct path is Route 117, which is poky at best! Or else you'd take the Pike toll road to I-495: faster roads but looping out of the way...
Old Sep 26th, 2007, 02:28 PM

Anyone have thoughts on Worcester area for this poster - I am not that familiar with towns in that area, but do know Worcester is much improved over past decade.
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 03:23 AM
d
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for all the great suggestions!! Rent budget will be a maximum of $1200.
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 03:48 AM

Another thought - it might be worth a call to Human Resources department/person at your new employer and ask them to put you in touch with one or more people in your demographics who are employed there regarding suggestions on where to live.
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 05:56 AM

Waltham is definitely a hit among kids in their 20s. But you should Waltham definitely has its different parts: downtown, the Brandeis area, a very industrialized section, and areas that border neighboring towns like Belmont, Newton and Weston.
Some parts are much closer to the highway than others, so take the location within Waltham into account if you decide to look there. Good luck.
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 01:17 PM

I really think it depends a bit on how you expect your leisure time to be spent, and where your social life is coming from.

When I was in my 20's, and first moved to this area to work for a company on the 495 beltway, my colleagues were my new friends. My social life consisted of company events (intramural sports for example), driving to restaurants and bars, and the occasional trips into Boston for clubs or theater. I was content to live out here in the burbs (I lived in Shrewsbury and then Sudbury). Its different from the urban lifestyle, but not necessarily boring. But i think its important for you to think about that before you decide. Especially if you are going to be working in a smaller company where there won't be other singles you may need to look for other social outlets, and then you may prefer a more urban location.

Waltham has been very popular with 20-somthings who work out here, because its got lots of inexpensive rental apartments, decent restaurant and movie options, and its very close to Boston. It stretches what you want to do for a commute though, probably 35-40 minutes depending on where you rent and where you work. It would be do-able.

I think Worcester could be interesting, but I suspect its also a pretty long commute. If you were relatively close to I290 you could make it in 40 minutes perhaps. I do know some folks that have lived there in recent years. It has a decently active arts scene, and some of the advantages of urban living. Not as good as Boston, but some.

If you think the suburban lifestyle would work for you, then almost any of the surrounding towns will be fine. Maynard, Littleton, Acton..they all have decent rental properties, and not too long of a drive.

Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 12:37 PM

hey d,
I am going to have to start work in Boxborough from July, and I have the same conditions as you did here. Can you please tell me where you decided to reside ? Also, rigth now I cannot drive and do not have a license. I will be looking to carpool for the 1st month to work till I get myself a license. Can you please offer your suggestions?

Thanks
Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 01:18 PM

Boxborough is a terrible place to live or work unless one has a car and license. Public transportation options are almost non-existent. Carpooling options may have to determine where you live - and not sure how you are going to find someone to carpool with.
Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 04:20 PM

Hi gail,
Thank you for your response. So the main problem is I cannot drive now. So, the first month ,commute to Boxborough is my biggest concern. Once I get a license I guess I should be fine. Is there anyway I can find a carpool to Boxborough? I have been searching on various sites and I got none. Just more New college Grads like me looking to carpool.

Thanks
Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 07:27 PM
cw

I think you should ask your employer about options. Otherwise you may have to stay somewhere near your office until you get your license.