boston and maine coast itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2006, 06:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning to fly into Boston on Sept 15; spend two nights there -- where to stay -- any ideas appreciated. Then on Sunday we are heading to Five Gables Inn in Boothbay for 2 nights; Norembega in Camden for 2 nights; Kingsleigh in in Southeast Harbor for 3 nights and Inn on Harbor Head Kennebunkport for 3 nights then drive to Boston to fly home. If anyone has any suggestions for the Boston hotel, we would appreciate it. Also, please let me know if you have stayed at any of the places we are planning to and what they were like.

Thanks much!
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 03:18 AM

If you only need a place to stay for the night, we've stayed at the Airport Holiday Inn. Nothing special but they run frequent shuttles to the airport so we didn't have to worry about transportation in the morning for an early flight.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 03:29 AM

Boston hotel:hotel chandler.paul
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 03:49 AM
Original Poster

we are going to spend two nights in Boston and wanted a place for around $200 or less that is well located for tourist things.

Usually we like b&b's but in a large city, those are not so easy to find. The Boston Hotel looks great but a little pricey for us.

Thanks.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 04:40 AM

You will love Kennebunkport. It is beautiful that time of year. There are lots of really really good restaurants (The White Barn Inn) and then the good local restaurants where the beer is always cold and the food generally very good (without breaking the wallet). Be sure to go to Alison's right in Dock Square. Generally great sandwiches and entrees. Grissini's, also in town is very good Italian food.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 09:43 AM

I like the Fairmont Park Plaza. It has great grandure and their is the "Oak Room" which is a nice place to have a drink on a leather sofa. It is well located for visits along boyleston & newberry street and you can go up to the "top of the hub" for a nice view of the city and have some food that's not to overpriced for the view. Id go just before sunset because then you can see the city at day/night. On the fli side...The "poor house" has good cheap pub food and I'd consider a Boston Duck tour also
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 04:11 AM

Sorry for missing the first two nights in Boston. I checked room rates at places we've stayed. The Radisson in Cambridge is $219/night for Sept 15. If you have a room facing the river, it's a great view. It's a long walk to a T station. You will want a cab for night time events. We liked the Greek restaurant on the premises very much. This hotel is just across the river from Boston. Not a great location but not bad and maybe preferable IF you get a room with a view.
Our most recent stay in Boston was the bargain at Best Western Roundhouse, it looks like the best rate for your dates is a bargain $135/night. The hotel was decent. The location a little too far away in an area that seems more industrial. The hotel shuttle will take you to the nearest T stop. It's a long walk otherwise. No really great restaurants nearby. You'll need the T or a cab. We had a room with 2 beds and a sitting area. I wouldn't walk to walk around this area at night. Cab fares from the theatre district I think were about $10 including the tip. I like the location of Holiday Inn Govt Center or Copley Square Hotel the best. The Holiday Inn puts you in walking distance to Quincy Market and the North End. Copley is better location for Newbury Street, restaurants, etc. Both are near T stops. Prices are more than you want to pay. You will love Maine and weather can be gorgeous that time of year.
Old May 4th, 2006, 08:16 PM

I use Priceline all the time, especially in big cities. We're staying at a 3-Star hotel by the Commons for $85 a night. Just put in the location you want and what price you will pay. Very easy.
Old May 9th, 2006, 03:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your responses. As it turns out, we are not going to fly into Boston. My husband feels this is best saved for a trip where we concentrate on Boston-- and since we will be able to fly into Portland affordably, we are going to go directly there. That said, I think we will spend 3 nights at the beginning in New Hampshire at the Riverbend Inn in Chocorua -- Has anyone been there? It is less than a 2 hour drive and will give us the opportunity to see some mountains.
Old May 9th, 2006, 08:40 AM

If you're near a jetblue city, hold off a bit on the purchase of your air tickets....jetblue is coming into the Portland market and a fare war should soon ensue.
Old May 9th, 2006, 10:49 PM
Original Poster

thanks -- we are coming from Atlanta so that will not work. But with the Delta AMEX card, I get a buy one get one for just under $300 so I am planning to use that to fly into Portland.

I have heard great things about Jet Blue and they tried Atlanta for a short time but could not compete with Delta and pulled out. It is much to our loss.
Old May 10th, 2006, 03:18 AM

At least ATL has AirTran! (I love AirTran)

mpkp, Make sure to take that Boston trip next year. I'm going next month because I went last year and fell in love with it. (I HAD TO go again)
You will love it too ... but you are sure to have a great time this year as well.