Boston and ???

Old Aug 19th, 2004, 08:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boston and ???

My wife and I are planning a vacation to Boston around mid September this year. I am very excited about Boston because of how much history and cultural things there are to do. So that part of my trip is easy. I have 10 days I am spending 5 in Boston. Now what do I do with the other 5 days? Do I go to Cape Cod? Martha's Vineyard? Newport? or do I spend those 5 days heading up the coast to New Hampshire and Maine? We enjoy out door activities just as much as the museums, so we like biking, hiking, rollerblading. I've read about Cape Cod from Fodors but it's really not jumping out at me. Any suggestions would be great. Also Hotel suggestions if you have any, mid to higher end.
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 01:58 AM

I see 2 general options - head north to NH/VT and/or Maine. Depending on your travel preferences, park yourself at one or 2 places and hike, etc. Or, head south to Cape Cod where you can do much of same but in more populated area with additional advantage of beach (water will still be warm in September and maybe weather will cooperate). You could take day ferry to MV, rent bikes there and tour around.

I am not usually a great Cape Cod fan unless people are looking for family summer vacation, but in this case I think it would work well for you - Cape is less crowded in September, especially midweek and everything (restaurants, etc) are still open.

Old Aug 20th, 2004, 03:33 AM

Tough question because there are so many possibilities.
If you head north to NH's White Mountains you could also include a visit to the Lowell Mills (MA) for some industrial history and/or Canterbury Shaker Village (NH) for a look at a unique religious sect and what they've left behind (great inventors). You might check to see which of the ski areas are running a mountain bike program (take the chair lift up, bike down).
If you head to the Maine Coast you could visit the Maritime Musuem in Bath and try biking to the top of Cadillac or other trails around Acadia National Park on the old carriage roads. It's a long drive from Boston but worth it. Stop in Portsmouth NH to see Old Strawbery Banke and/or take a cruise of the harbor or inland rivers.
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 09:29 AM

I vote for Newport, you can see the Mansions, have some great seafood, maybe rent a sail boat or kayaks...or just go on a charter sail.
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 03:59 PM

I say go north. Forget about the Lowell Mills, I grew up in Lowell, and unless you are FASCINATED by the industrial revolution and textiles skip it as there isn't much else to do.
Now although I grew up in Lowell, I live on Cape Cod now. Cape Cod certainly has excellent bike trails and mid September is certainly the jewel of the year here (beautiful warm sunny days, less crowds).
However, Maine is just as beautiful. You could spend your 5 days by heading up the coast to Maine to about the Portland or Freeport area for a few days, and then head into the White Mts. of New Hampshire. The foliage will be starting there, and the weather is also very agreeable. Great hiking along the Kancamagus highway, Echo Lake, Franconia Notch. Also good biking around Cannon Mt. area in Franconia.
Hotels in boston: I like the Copley area (close to T, very central)
Hotels in ME: York Harbor Inn, Cape Elizabeth Inn,
Hotels in NH: Wentworth Inn (Jackson Village) Mountainview Grand (Whitefield), Franconia Inn

I think you are smart to spend 5 days in Boston. It is a great city, great museums, good dining + shopping.

safe travels to you,
Melissa
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 05:05 PM

My wife and I went to the greater Boston area for 10 days last Sept. (We're from Portland, OR). We spent the first 5 days in Boston. Stayed at the Back Bay Hilton so I could walk to Fenway Park to see the Red Sox play. The subway system was great to use to get around the city. You don't want to drive in the inner-city area. Too congested. We then took off to Falmouth (Cape Cod) and stayed in a B&B for 3 nights. On the way, we stopped at the Plimouth Plantation in Plymouth. It was the most unique re-creation I had ever seen. When you walk through the simulated villages, the people (actors) will talk to you as if they are still in 1627. We had a few interesting conversations. Had a couple great dinners at Woods Hole. We took the ferry to Martha's Vineyards and thought we would use the bus system, but changed our mind and rented a convertable Mustang. The weather was great so the top was down for most of it. The towns were quaint and worth driving around to see. Drove back to Boston and spent the last two nights at the Boston Harbour Hotel. Pricey, nut what a view of the harbor. I would recommend taking the Duck tour in Boston the day after you arrive. Great way to see the city. Don't rent your car until you're ready to leave the city. You really don't need it when you stay in the city for the first 5 days. Any questions, let me know. Have fun.
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 07:58 PM
gyppielou

Wow Poogie!
You've gotten great advice. That's the magic of Boston and New England. There's very cool stuff in every direction. Literally a 2 hour drive at every degree offers something wonderful. I kinda like the Acadia idea...go deep and then head back, perhaps 2 nights, then a night in Camden, and 2 in Ogunquit or Kennebunkport. Or......
You could bike the capecod bike path....on my list of must do things before I die....and then head to either island - I love Nantucket in the fall.

Yeah, my vote is Acadia........gyppie

Old Aug 20th, 2004, 10:59 PM

If you like hiking, Mt Washington in New Hampshire is a New England prerequisite. It's the highest peak in the Northeast (6288 feet) set in the midst of a national forest.

If you try it, check the weather at the top ahead of time, dress warm, and climb the eastern side of the mountain so you always have the option of taking the van back down if you're pooped at the summit. (I believe you'll have to arrive via Rt 4 and stay in North Conway, lots of good lodging options there.) Tuckerman's Ravine is the most common trail to take up.

Would be a nice stop off on the way to Acadia which sounds like a good option; never been but have heard and seen good things.

http://www.mountwashington.com/hikin...n-ravine-trail
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 04:25 AM

Well, you've received no "double votes," and I'll add my two cents to confuse you further! Also, be advised that accommodations for next month may be difficult to obtain at this point, so the fact that you're still flexible will help.

I'd try to spend time around Portland, Maine. Perhaps the BlackPoint Inn in Scarborough, or the Inn by the Sea at Cape Elizabeth. Then you could take day trips to Camden and Kennebunkport, but also spend some time relaxing at the resort or visiting the "city."

En route north, I'd stop on the northshore of Mass, either Salem for the House of 7 Gables and Peabody Essex Museum, or Gloucester for art galleries and the Hammond Castle Museum, or Essex for antiquing.

On the ride south, I'd stop in either Portsmouth, NH for Strawberry Banke or Newburyport, MA for some serious strolling.