Boston _ Freedom Trail and Fenway

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2016, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DH and I will be stopping in Boston on July 2 (en route from Maryland to Maine). We want to do the Freedom Trail and take in the game at Fenway. My question is where to stay? Do we stay outside the city and use transit or Uber? If so, what area? Or do we drive into the city and stay someplace in walking distance?
Really hate to hassle with traffic and parking, but also don't want to lose too much of the day to waiting for trains, etc.
Old Jun 19th, 2016, 03:34 PM

If you can find a hotel and can afford the sticker-shock prices, stay in the city. July 4th weekend is an incredibly busy, expensive, crowded time in Boston, and I am wondering if you can even find a hotel that is not going to have a multi-night stay requirement.

Travel in/out of Boston from outlying areas is tricky. Hotels call themselves things like Boston/Waltham - and even 10 miles from downtown can take an hour to travel on public transit. Traffic should not be terrible as it is a weekend.

Commuter rail will be on a very limited schedule. Uber works well in Boston metro area, though. MBTA subway/trolley is fine.
Old Jun 20th, 2016, 03:14 AM

Your budget will dictate where you willbstay but personally I'd stay in Boston. There will be lots to do that weekend. Check out the Harborfest website. If not Boston, stay in Cambridge on the Red Line for easy subway access to the city.
Old Jun 20th, 2016, 05:50 AM
cw

Traffic shouldn't be bad coming into Boston on Saturday morning. Ideally stay in the city, it will be much more convenient. The downside is that you'll have to pay a hefty overnight parking fee.

Otherwise, take a look in Brookline--there is a Holiday Inn and Courtyard Marriott. You'll still pay for parking, but it shouldn't be as high as downtown, and both hotels are convenient to downtown on the C Green Line train. And it's a short ride to Fenway (Kenmore station).

Further out there is the Hotel Indigo, which is next to Riverside Station (about a 40 minute ride to downtown). It is a direct ride out from Fenway as well.
Old Jun 21st, 2016, 03:35 AM

The Brookline Holiday Inn and Courtyard are great choices for a game and the Freedom Trail. The Holiday Inn is across the street from the Green Line C trolley and the Courtyard is one block away. The C line takes you to Kenmore Square for Fenway and Park Street for the Freedom Trail.

However, there is no overnight on street parking in Brookline, so don't be tempted to save a few bucks on parking because the toe charges will be more.