Search

boston

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19th, 2013, 05:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
boston

Hello

I am driving from NYC to Boston next weekend for a wedding. I took a hotel in Braintree. I have been to Boston few times before .

I am planning to go to the Elizabeth Gardner museum for few hours. Any suggestion where to spend time for few hours on Sat afternoon or Sunday morning (no freedom trail or Faneuil Hall, or Kennedy Center). There could be places that I am not aware of (even on the way back from Boston to NY).

I do not have many options since the weather is cool. I and my husband are in our early 60's.

Thank you very much for your replies
Old Oct 19th, 2013, 05:12 PM

Do you mean Isabella Stewart Gardner?

I always like to make a stop at LA Burdick. http://www.burdickchocolate.com/ The cocoa is so nice on a cold day.
Old Oct 19th, 2013, 05:17 PM

Not sure when you arrive, but if it's before 11/10 you could go here... http://www.nps.gov/adam/index.htm It's in Quincy which is just north of Braintree.

There is also a naval shipbuilding museum in Quincy.
Old Oct 20th, 2013, 02:53 AM

On the way to or from Boston:

Providence, specifically the RISD or Johnson and Wales museums. The latter is focused on food and cooking.

Westerly and Watch Hill, RI, and nearby Stonington and Mystic, CT for classic NE coastal scenery.

Florence Griswold Museum in Old Lyme, CT. Fascinating museum/house with work by Tonalist and American Impressionist artists -- and lots more. Right off I 95.

Since I don't know why the Freedom Trail is not an option, it is hard to recommend other activities. Is it physical issues or a dislike of historical/architectural touring?
Old Oct 20th, 2013, 04:18 AM

I don't know why cool weather limits what you can do. October is usually a great month to visit Boston. Have you walked through the Public Gardens? Have you been to the waterfront in the the last several years. It's greatly improved and a lovely place to wander around.

On the way to or from Boston the best route is not I-95 but rather I-90 to Sturbridge and get on I-84 to Hartford and then I-91 to the Merrit. Shorter and more pleasant than I-95. Along that route you could stop for a few hours at Old Sturbridge Village, a living history museum.