Booked tickets

Old Jan 8th, 2007, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Booked tickets

I just booked tickets for 5 (wife and 3 daughters-ages 13, 10, 8) for New York March 16-21 (Friday nite 3/16 to Wed. 3/21). My wife won an election as Judge in November and this was our campaign promise to kids if we won.

I have not been to Manhattan with children before--not been with wife in 5 years. I booked hotel--got flight tickets. Any suggestions welcome but comments re:

3/17 St Patricks Day Parade--should be fun-where do you watch?--and have a pub brew on tap

3/18 Wife and 2 will buy some TKTS tics--middle daughter and I are going to Pirates of Penzance at Lincoln Center--always wanted to see something there.

3/20 Last nite--we have not bought tics--guess we should ahead of time? but looks like Mary Poppins is on tap(i do have 3 daughters)

Wife is a great dresser--13 year a HUGE clothes gal--wife liked Century 21 5 years ago--liked Daffneys(sp)too--we are in Alabama so we don't have much off beaten path/rec. re good shopping areas not crazy expensive?

Any tips welcome!
af
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 01:33 PM

One place to watch the parade is on the steps of the Metropolitan Museum. There are plenty of bars/pubs along 3rd ave. Just be aware that this parade is an excuse for lots of teens (some underage) to drink to excess and get rowdy and perhaps sick. Since I think it falls on a Sat. this year, it could be pretty crazy.

You can buy discounted tix for theater online in advance if you want to avoid uncertainty and lines at TKTS booths. Broadwaybox.com is one place to find them 1-3 months before your trip. If you want Mary Poppins, you'll not likely find it at the TKTS booth so you'd best buy them in advance. Tdf.org/tkts is where you can find info on the TKTS booths and see what's been available lately.

All those discount shops you mention are still around and good. Loehmann's is another you didn't mention. There are also some fun places for more unusual stuff from new designers. I'll have to post at another time with websites.

menupages.com is a website to check out restaurants.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 01:34 PM

I was unclear, you won't likely find Mary Poppins on discount anywhere. If that's what you want to see, buy it at regular price. Look on playbill.com for links.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

Thank you--and yea I figure we will need to book M Poppins ahead and painfully pay.

I plan to do same re Pirates at Lincoln--but something Sunday at TKTS would be ok--can you do TKTS for Sunday matinee on Saturday or?
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 02:51 PM

First bit of advice: Get your Mary Poppins tickets now! You may already be too late for decent seats.
Next, yes you can get tickets for Saturday and Sunday matinees at TKTS. But, you might be better off checking out the discount offers on broadwaybox.com or playbill.com. They'll cost you a little more, but you can avoid waiting in line at TKTS.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 02:54 PM
Original Poster

HA -yes re Mary--i was just there!
I may let 3 do that Sunday while my middle child and I do Pirates at Lincoln Center--then do a tkts on Tuesday--

All good--but yea that is already "tight"
tic
Thanks--I will ask more I am sure later
af
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 04:25 AM
Original Poster

Author: alanf
Date: 01/15/2007, 08:25 am

Got 3 to The Drowsy Chapherone (Broadway Box discount code) and 2 to Pirates of Penzance (1st ring side-ouch) so our family of 5 has entertainment for our Sunday in city--(I tossed Mary P idea)--I'll get something for our last nite Tuesday on a code (Hairspray, Spelling Bee--)WE are there Friday nite to Wed. am

Thinking of having us all meet after Sunday matinnees at the Carmine's on 91 to eat? Different area--

Also my 5th grader loves pickles--I gotta find the pickle barrel place lower east side--wanted to do Katz for lunch one day anyways--

later af
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 04:31 AM

http://nyc.urbansavings.com/pickleguys.htm

Your family would also enjoy the walking and tasting tour of Greenwich Village.
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 04:33 AM

http://www.foodsofny.com/

Everyone who has been on the Greenwich Village tour has RAVED about it. I loved it. The other tours are newer - and I'll be doing them on future trips to NYC.
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 07:36 PM

We saw 25th Putnam County Spelling Bee in Boston and loved it. Boys 13 and 11. But, it was a little naughty, with a scene in which one guy gets an erection and misses spelling a word. We all blushed a little.
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 07:39 PM

Lower East Side Tenement Musuem. We booked a short tour of the tenement house (Confino Family Tour) - with an actress who welcomed us as if we were recent immigrants to NYC. Very educational for the kids in an entertaining way.