book in advance ?

Old Mar 12th, 2004, 08:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
book in advance ?

I have a question for the Alaska travel experts : is it necessary to book a flight-see (Mt McKinley from Talkeetna) in advance, or can I book it at the last minute based on weather conditions ? (I am travelling to Alaska in August - will be there from Aug 7 - Aug 14). On the one hand I want to book early (I have a toursaver, and it has a 2-for-1 discount I could use). On the other hand, if the weather is lousy on that day, I don't want to do a flight. What do you suggest ?

Sunil
Old Mar 13th, 2004, 03:17 PM

I don't want to say it is necessary to book a flight in advance or wait until the day of the trip. That is something you're going to have to take a chance on yourself. One thing to remember is Mt.McKinley makes it's own weather and the summit is only visible about 3 or 4 days a week from the ground if your lucky. I don't know what the view would be like on a cloudy day from the air. You can't let the weather slow you down since you're only going to be in Alaska one week.

We booked our tour 11 months in advanced with our other reservations because we wanted to go rain or shine.

When we went on our summit tour with K2 Aviation two years ago there was one couple that tried to book a tour that morning and were told they would have to wait to see if there was a cancellation since they were booked for the day on all flights. Another group of 3 people were pissed because they only reserved 2 seats and there wasn't any open reservation for the third person.

When we got back from our flightseeing tour, the first couple was still sitting there and they didn't look happy.

Our tour was outstanding. Their wasn't a cloud in the sky. Our pilot was even taking pictures and he said he had been flying tours for 15 years.
Old Mar 13th, 2004, 08:05 PM

You may have less available time slots using the coupon? If the weather isn't good- then they cancel- full refunds. If this is a MUST do, then book ahead. Also - there are several flight options- NOT all run and they will "upgrade" cheaper booking passengers occasionally to fill flights.

For clairfication- McKinley is rarely seen and lucky if twice a week. Average is 30%- and less for full views.I have only had full views on 2 trips. First time- I'll never forget 8-22-01, Only 15th day since 5-1 that year.
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the (quick !) response & suggestions. I decided to go with advance reservations (feels like a MUST DO !). The toursaver is useful - I got one free for a 11am flight with Talkeetna Aero at peak time (in August) - plus kids are half-price, so its not even as expensive as I had feared. FYI : they do not allow kids on the summit flights, but they do take them on the Circle Denali (75 minutes) flight...

Sunil
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 11:02 PM

I guess it depends on the age- my son has gone with me on Talkeetna Aero on the summit flights. Even sat up front with the pilot. He was 12 the first time. The summit flights are my clear preference. They may have a policy change?
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 03:05 PM

Why don't they allow children on summit flights? We are thinking of going, but is this way too scary or stomach upsetting?
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

My kids are young (8 & 5). Not sure what their cut-off is for kids to go on the summit flight. The summit flights are the only ones that climb more than 20K feet - perhaps its because of that ? On their web site it says "We are the only air taxi to offer Over-the-Summit flights" - not sure if its true, but you can call them and ask (very friendly on the phone).

Sunil
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

OOPS - I misread their web site (they say they are the only ones to offer summit flights FROM DENALI - they fly from both Denali and Talkeetnam apparently they are the only ones offering summit flights FROM DENALI, several others do offer summit flights from Talkeetna). Did not mean to mis-represent their web site in a public forum - sorry about that !

Sunil
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 08:35 PM

K-2 also has summit flights. A factor may be they don't use presurized planes and you have to use O2 on these flights. Certainly small children would be out. These flights aren't for everyone. Take precautions is prone to motion sickness- there is a lot of motion.