Search

Boca Raton / Del Ray Beach

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boca Raton / Del Ray Beach

Hi Fodorites,
I am so excited since I recently booked our tix for Boca/Del Ray Beach. We will be flying in late March and staying through the first week of April.

We are fortunate to be able to visit my cousin the whole time we are there.

The questions I have to all of you is:

(I have searched here and all of the info on the above topic is dated.)

Looking for several GREAT restaurants. (no chains please). Great = food, service, atmosphere. Price not an issue and no young kids.

We plan to take a day to trip to the everglades, looking for another possible day trip.

The rest of our time will be spent spending quality time together on the beach

Any other info (markets, bakrey's) you can include would be greatly appreciated!
Old Feb 10th, 2010, 03:13 PM

Day trip to Miami if you haven't been. Vizcaya, the Biltmore, the Venetian Pool, South Beach.
Old Feb 11th, 2010, 05:40 PM
Original Poster

Uh Oh...I am a little nervous, only one reply...what have I done. Surely there are decent restaurants in the Boca/Del Ray area? Any suggestions?
Old Feb 12th, 2010, 04:05 AM

I'm not replying because my experience is now at least a year "old" and things change quickly down there. The "great" restaurants in Boca imo are few and far between and frankly many of the best ARE chains, although we're not talking Applebee's.

There are were nice restaurants in Mizner Park. Max's Grill (chain) is popular and I liked the Italian place but I note it's gone. http://www.centre4artsboca.com/index...tegories&id=34

Truluck (chain) is supposed to be very good seafood. I was was at Kee Grill (also seafood) once a few years ago and it was very good. There's also Ruth's Chris and Morton's (both chains) for steak.

The Boca Resort was opening some new restaurants and those might be worth checking. 32 East in Delray I think is still going strong.
Old Feb 12th, 2010, 06:56 AM

Lots of good restaurants on Atlantic Avenue near the beach in Delray; It's busy at night with people strolling, dining, etc. Also, a place called Sunnies or Sundays (someone please correct me if you know) in an older house in downtown Delray-beautiful gardens, good food.
Old Feb 12th, 2010, 10:27 AM

I know you specifically said no chains - and I generally agree. But we had a great experience in Miami at a place called Texas de Brazil - it is a small chain of upscale Brazilian style restaurants. I had no idea until after I got home that it was part of a chain.

Meal starts with appetizer buffet - half of the items were really unusual (steamed asparagus with fresh strawberry sauce, for example). Nothing like any "salad bar" in any other place.

Then they bring around skewers of all sorts of meat - some of the most tasty and tender meat I have ever eaten. Sangria was excellent - not sick sweet stuff I have had in other places.

Not a kid in sight - since it was something like $55 per person. None of the "early bird special" crowd in polyester either.
Old Feb 12th, 2010, 02:04 PM

One of our favorites is Michelle Bernstein, chefs, that is. Her new Palm Beach Place is http://www.omphoy.com/indulge/michelle-bernsteins/

Have not been there, but anxious to try.

In Boca, we like this Italian: http://www.cucinadangelo.com/

And the Delray place is Sundy House, have only been there for brunch, but anxious to go for dinner. There is also a Daniel Boulod restaurant in Palm Beach that you might check.

http://www.sundyhouse.com/

If you change your mind about chains, McCormick and Schmits in Boca is a really pleasant atmosphere with seafood that never disappoints.

Enjoy our weather!
Old Feb 12th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Ahh...thank you, for the responses...something to work with. I am starting an itinerary and will be looking in to the places mentioned above. I will keep this thread going since it seems like most of the info on fodors is dated.

If anyone has any other recommendations, that would be great!

THANKS again!
Old Feb 12th, 2010, 07:59 PM

tramontes in delray ...but you must book
32 east in delray
there are a lot more on atlantic av in delray - the entire street is restaurants...very vibey
seasons 52 in boca
prime steak or abe and louis in boca
cucina d' angelo in boca
in palm beach - palm beach grill (MUST book) (forget cafe boulud)
west palm on clematis: forte is good;, roccos tacos is casual but busy as is don ramon
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 11:41 AM

I'm not sure if NY Prime is a chain but it's great if you like a good steak. The atmosphere is a little loud on the weekends but the food is worth recommending. It's in Boca Raton.
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 01:29 PM

I've lived in Boca and Delray for several years. Some of our favorites....

Great steak ... New York prime (Boca)
Italian .... CASA D'Angelo (Boca on palmetto park east of federal)
Italian ..... Tramonti (Delray on Atlantic ave)
eclectic .... 32 east (Delray on Atlantic Ave)
eclectic .... Wild olives ( Boca .... Part of Todd English olives chain )
cuban/Latin ....cabana (Delray Atlantic Ave)
steak .... Cut 432 (Delray Atlantic ave)

enjoy!!!!