Search

Blue Ridge Parkway

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6th, 2004, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blue Ridge Parkway

We are planning on traveling the Blue Ridge Pkwy the last two weeks of October. I have seen warnings about washed out roads and trails due to the heavy rains.
We will start at the north end. Has anyone been through that area? We are also hauling our Harley Touring Bike with us with hopes that somewhere we can go for a scenic ride on the bike. Camping and Moteling for the hot shower. Hoping to see some great fall colors.
Old Oct 6th, 2004, 07:32 AM

We, too, are driving the Blue Ridge Parkway the last two weeks of October. I learned of the closures and road damage on the Fodors website and became a little nervous. However, I've been reassured that all is well.

There are 3 detours on the southern half of the parkway. You will find updates on the following website.

http://www.nps.gov/blri/index.htm (click on NEWS)

I visit the nps website daily and it looks like it will still be a beautiful fall drive.
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 10:12 AM

We will be traveling the Blue Ridge Pkwy in mid April. Have the roads been repaired and/or is there a website to find out this information.
We will then be passing through West Virgina on the way back to MI. I can't seem to find much on line on attractions for West Virginia. We would be looking for mountain drives or views etc.
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 10:57 AM

fyi, this is a very curvey road esp. with trailer. one big series of s curves!
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 12:08 PM
Fairhope

http://www.nps.gov/blri/
this is what you want.

Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 04:46 PM

Thanks! http://www.nps.gov/blri/was helpful. We were going to drive the Blue Ridge Hwy. from its southern beginning to Roanoke, VA. Then cut through WV back to MI. I have been through WV a couple of times and thought it is beautiful country. But after reading a couple of writings on the Skyline drive of the Shenendoah we are reconsidering driving the Blue Ridge & the Skyline to its northen boundary. I'm sure both would be great spring time drives. I appreciate any opinions on which to do. We are mainly looking for the most scenic.
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 05:59 AM

i'm partial to skyline drive, but the speed limit is much lower than the blue ridge,35 mph in most places you also have to pay the np enterance fee. but i would consider doing part of both. i've done the southern part of the blue ridge and all of skyline at one time or another. had planned to do all of blue ridge, but bailed, (those curves got old after an hour or so). all the roads have something to offer in that part of the country. enjoy.