Blackberry Farm Fabulous?

Sep 6th, 2003, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Blackberry Farm Fabulous?

Hi all....I need some input regarding the Blackberry Farm estate/resort in east Tennessee.This place seems unbelievable....it has recieved top honors year after year and is even ranked by Conde Nast as like one of the top three small luxury places in the world.After reviewing their rates..it must be.Anyone have have any feedback and this superluxe establishment???Is it worth what you pay??Thanks for any info.
Sep 6th, 2003, 08:00 PM

It depends on how much you value you expect for your money. I stayed there for one night (couldn't afford more!) in one of the luxury cottages. At first I was in a room in the main house, but it was small and the bathroom was tiny. I decided to pay the extra for the cottage, and it was well worth it. The service is out of this world, the food is wonderful, and the cottage was reallly, really super. So, in my limited experience, it lives up to the hype. Oh yes - no kids, either, which is a plus in my book.
Sep 7th, 2003, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your reply..it seems like a lot and I wasnt sure what could make it that high.I guess it boils down to service and lux surroundings....both things I value.The kid factor is also an issue as we have four under 10 and value our time away.Thaks a lot for your input!
Sep 7th, 2003, 02:56 PM

Blair9535:

A couple more thoughts:

I think they have started allowing kids during July, but their website would have more information.

The rates are American plan, gourmet meals plus open snack bars with goodies for the taking.

I believe the property is in a dry county, so you have to bring your own booze.

I think both the spa and the fly fishing sound intriguing. They also run a cooking school.

About the rates: don't forget the 18% service charge on top of the already high room rates.

I still think you would love the property if you appreciate really fine, lux lodging. I'm sure you've checked out their website - www.blackberryfarm.com
they sometimes run specials and there are packages that probably add up to a better deal.

If you go, enjoy!
Oct 1st, 2003, 03:08 PM

Don't know if you've made a decision or not but Blackberry is very lux and very expensive and sometimes worth every penny!!! I've had the good fortune of going twice. The last time I went the service in the restaurant was not up to par. Had to wait a very long time between courses. I don't think you have to bring you own liquor now. The first time we went there I got to enjoy a great thunderstorm in the mountains. It was truly a memorable experience.
Oct 5th, 2003, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Still havent made a decision.....dont mind the rate if everything is worth it.What types of things does one do there??We are considering a few days betweeen Christmas and New Years...thanks.
Oct 5th, 2003, 01:36 PM

Well, there is not a great deal to do there. It is mostly a rest & relaxation place. You will feel pampered and I understand they have added a full service spa. Other than that there are hiking trails and a chance to fly fish, but if you are there between Christmas and New Years it could be cold and damp. I don't know how familiar you are with Gatlinburg and Piegon Forge. It is very touristy and can be a little tacky.
Oct 23rd, 2003, 12:51 PM

This place is heavenly. Do you like nature? Go into Great Smoky Mountain National Park. Drive to Knoxville for a day. I would just sit on the porch wand wait for my next meal. You don't need to bring your own wine, either. They have an ENORMOUS wine list.
Oct 23rd, 2003, 11:55 PM

Went there for my wedding anniversary and cooking school 3 years ago and sent my mother for her birthday 2 years ago. It is fabulous and food is out of this world. We found a lot to do, biking at Cades Cove, fly fishing lessons, hiking, tennis, relaxing etc. If you can go for a cooking lesson. My husband and I were treated to a private wine tasting in owner's cellar as well as special meals with the chefs. To make it cheaper, ask about a certain discount you get if you have a certain card. for the life of me I can't remember its name, but if cost us $approx. 80 and we got $100 off for each night of our stay. Great service and i thought well worth the price. have fun, itsv.
Oct 24th, 2003, 05:16 AM

Yes Yes Yes!! It really is as unbelievable as it sounds, and the press is right on the mark. It's not cheap, but it is soooo worth it.

Blackberry Farm is situated in the Great Smoky mountains and the setting is gorgeous. I just laid by the pool, tooled around the grounds in a golf-cart like contraption (not only was it fun, but it was a great way to see the enormous property), rode horses and ate.....In fact, the best part of Blackberry Farm was the food. I've never had anything like it in my life. I don't know how I've gone back to plain cereal after eating their breakfasts; lunch came in little green boxes, and not just plain sandwiches - it's gourmet all the way. Dinner? They treat you like royalty.

I would go back in a heartbeat. I miss it already!

Search this Thread