Black Hills-Recommended Location to Stay

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2007, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Returning to visit the Black Hills after an absence of >40 years. Two adults, no kids traveling.

Wondering if anyone has thoughts re the best location to stay in...Rapid City? Spearfish? Custer? Hot Springs?

We'll be doing the usual thing: the faces, the cave(s), probably the Passion Play.

Prefer hotels/motels to B+B's although could be persuaded if there is an outstanding B+B in the area. Having a pool would be nice but not absolutely essential. Cost really isn't much of an issue...we are not onany sort of tight budget this trip.

Will respond with any further information as necessary.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 06:56 AM

Keystone.Try the Rushmore view inn.Great.You see Mount Rushmore from your doorstep.Paul
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for your reply. I'll check it out.
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 07:39 AM
cd

We stayed at Custer State Park http://www.custerresorts.com/ and loved it. We stayed at the State Game Lodge but had breakfast one day at Sylvan Lake Lodge and decided we would stay there if going again. Not all rooms at the State Game Lodge have air conditioning and it was really hot when we were there. However,can recommend dining in their dining foom. We enjoyed the wildlife the Park offers and the drives on Iron Mountain and Needles roads. (I think those are the names)

If you have time, Deadwood is not far and we enjoyed visiting Wild Bill Hickok and Calamity Jane's graves.
http://www.digitaldeadwood.com/histo...le/hickok.html
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 09:05 AM

A few years ago we stayed in Hill City at a newer Holiday Inn Express. The hotel had a pretty good pool. The location was great for exploring Mount Rushmore, the caves & Custer State Park.
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

CD,
Thanks for the recommendation; I'll check that out, too. I would never go to the BH in the Summer and stay anywhere that didn't have A/C; simply too much humidity for me.

I've looked into the possibility of staying in Deadwood (yes, I know it is touristy but that's part of the deal IMO...at Deadwood Dick's).

WTM003,

Yes, I've looked at Hill City, too and thanks for THAT recommendation. I'm probably obsessing too much but yours and all the other suggestions are very helpful and MUCH appreciated.
Thanks.